NWN2: Storm of Zehir is out!

SteveThaiBinh

Luckily playing not patched hasn't been a major problem so far with NWN2 or MotB.

Don't lie please. I have over 100+ PC games, and none has ever EVER required any patching out of the box. Except Obsidian games. NWN2 and MotB are Obsidian games. Why do you lie?

Eh, I never said I didn't have problems, but nothing I felt was "awful"

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

If you're going to whine about the price of expansions, whine at Blizzard. 50 bucks for an expansion for a game you already pay 15 bucks a month for. Slightly more irritating than paying 30 bucks for the expansion to a 60 buck game.

Man, you should see the Everquest model. They release an expansion every six months for $35. At least WoW has only made two expansions and has released plenty of content in between those.

Of course, I just paid $80 for the LotR Online expansion. But I got a shiny ring with it.

We therefore have a choice, as consumers. We can accept a ten minute wait for our game, or we can punish a company who relies on patching. I suggest that the effect of punishing people who patch will be very grave. These companies cannot be expected to troubleshoot every aspect of a game before release due to the crippling cost of 99% error testing. So they will simply have to reduce innovative features. Then we all end up playing EA games and nothing else.

Perfectly true, I couldn't agree more.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

Volo is excellent too.

Volo's VA is superb. There was one dialog in the very beginning where a couple of characters in my party (those with a certain type of alignment) had a response that caused Volo to laugh before he had to interrupt himself and act dignified that I thought was particularly well-done.

The computer I play on isn't connected to the internet either. Has nothing to do with caves and a lot to do with other circumstantial/situational things.

wait, it has to do with other 'circumstantial/situational things'?

oh, i take it all back then.

seriously, how hard is it to connect to the internet these days? between unlimited broadband, wireless, and 3G portable modems, it seems hard to imagine 'circumstantial/situational things' that would prevent someone from downloading a simple patch. the only people i can think of who would have trouble connecting are people living in remote cabins in the woods and folk working at NORAD who aren't allowed to access the internet from inside the US Defence Department firewall...

dumber than a bag of hammers

Why do they get the camera wrong for every NWN2 release, my guess would be that there is something fundamentally off with the engine that they didn't think about when they were molding it to fit NWN2, and now it's not practical to fix it.

Camera was bad, but got tolerable with patches, if it's back to the 'bad old days', that's a deal breaker for me.

Anyway I'm going to wait and gather some more impressions before deciding.

The camera is probably over-engineered... It's sad. They really should just go with one method, and stick to it and nail that, at most 2 methods.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

The reason they've changed the camera is because people keep bitching about it. All the customization you need is there right in the Options menu. As for now, Character mode is the close up third person view (which I don't think fits this game very well, I also think it's the worst option), Strategy mode can be configured to work more like the IE games where you can move the camera around a bit. The new Exploration mode is basically how NWN1 worked if I recall correctly, and it's also the one I'm using (and have used since I started playing since you could always configure it).

It's not perfect but it's perfectly workable. The reason they added Exploration mode is AFAIK because of the fact that people whined that the camera wasn't like NWN1. They added the camera buttons on the interface so that people would know the options were there (instead of having to hit the * key).

EDIT: Also, the game just pwnd me right up the butt.

Edited by Starwars

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

The computer I play on isn't connected to the internet either. Has nothing to do with caves and a lot to do with other circumstantial/situational things.

seriously, how hard is it to connect to the internet these days? between unlimited broadband, wireless, and 3G portable modems, it seems hard to imagine 'circumstantial/situational things' that would prevent someone from downloading a simple patch. the only people i can think of who would have trouble connecting are people living in remote cabins in the woods and folk working at NORAD who aren't allowed to access the internet from inside the US Defence Department firewall...

Not everyone has access to high speed broadband internet connections. It's really not as common as you'd think once you move just outside of most cities.

Not everyone has access to high speed broadband internet connections. It's really not as common as you'd think once you move just outside of most cities.

why would anyone live outside a city? only savages and cannibals live in the countryside.

dumber than a bag of hammers

Camera was bad, but got tolerable with patches, if it's back to the 'bad old days', that's a deal breaker for me.

now now, it seems my follow up comment got lost in the fray. it seems they simply added an additional mode, and when i went to the options page, it switched to the other mode for some reason. there are now 3 buttons on the bottom for the modes, btw, and i have it running exactly as i did when i was playing motb after all patches.

the overland map might get tedious with an encounter every few minutes. i am using my rouge, but i haven't built up all of his stealth skills so i end up either outrunning a bunch of fights, or caving and wasting yet another fireball on the gang that runs at me.

oh, and what's this 50 gp to rest in town ripoff??? sheesh, i can understand the demand argument since they are the only gig in the first town, but man... oof.

as for the patching... i don't get it, what's the problem? this has always been the way the NWN franchise has operated. plus, i find it good that they kept working on the game after going gold - which is pretty much the drop dead for getting fixes/content into the release. the "patch" was not only planned to get all the non-SoZ games up to the same engine and other enhancements, but allowed them to tweak things they may have found later.

i recall all the griping about atari not funding the patches with troika, and they do the opposite for obsidian and here we have... more griping?

taks

comrade taks... just because.

I'm not the one being annoyed by patches, publish now, patch later has been the industry standard for as long as I can remember, putting that all on Obsidian is neither here nor there.

I guess it can get problematic with the lack of internet connection, and lets not forget that NWN2 shipped with a fatal bug, but we should all have gotten used to that long ago.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

i was subtly referring to marcus, the same guy that still thinks a $30 baseline for new games is appropriate. hehe.

i didn't even bother to mention the fact the game really didn't need patching to begin with. at least, not from what i gather. back in the day, games were simply released and you had to deal with whatever it was you bought. there was no internet. if a game had bugs, you were screwed. oh, i should add, however, that back in the day we didn't also have a billion configurations of hardware. most games were played on identical hardware, i.e., an atari 2600 or a C64, perhaps an apple or one of those IBM PCs. software was developed for each one, obviously, but that's only 4 systems, not the endless combinations that are available now.

taks

Edited by taks

comrade taks... just because.

I guess it can get problematic with the lack of internet connection, and lets not forget that NWN2 shipped with a fatal bug, but we should all have gotten used to that long ago.

Which bug was that?

Also, $50 to rest isn't that bad. I just rested somewhere for $150 after using appraise to knock it down from $200.

My girlfriend who is also into this game came over last night, and she brought me the "Storm of Zheir". What a vixen. I set up my characters, left the ship, and fought through three of the creature waves on the island. You know what happened when the following wave hit? The game crashed. Hahaha...

I have one of the top of the line computers to date, and everything was working fine when I had Neverwinter II and MOB installed. Hahaha... Right when the last enemy wave of creatures attacked, the game crashed down to the desktop. I repeated the same steps over, and again the game crashed.

Rewind time back to when I bought MOB, and that game broke the core game's campaigns. I can't win with this series. Two expansion packs installed right out of the box, and they both have issues that stop game play. I had to patch the game to fix MOB's issues, and now I will have to wait for a patch to fix SOZ's issues.

Edited by Marcus

Did you install the day one patch?

I was just looking for the patch. Do you happen to have a link to get the download?

Others are having similar problems.

I dont have the game. Doesnt it come with an auto-updater like the previous version?

EDIT: Nvm, I just remembered you dont have an internet connection on that PC. Try Fileplanet. Thats what I had to do with NWN2 as I could never once get the autopatcher to work.

Edited by Gfted1

Did you install the day one patch?

I was just looking for the patch. Do you happen to have a link to get the download?

Others are having similar problems.

I dont have the game. Doesnt it come with an auto-updater like the previous version?

EDIT: Nvm, I just remembered you dont have an internet connection on that PC. Try Fileplanet. Thats what I had to do with NWN2 as I could never once get the autopatcher to work.

During the installation process, the game did end up applying a patch. If there is one that is downloadable through the updater, I will not be able to obtain that patch. That computer is not allowed to be used online.

You're offering to move me to some place where I can get connected to broadband, pay for the place to stay, and pay for my internet as well?

Wow, can you buy me a new computer while you're at it?

You're the greatest! :ermm:

Seriously though, I can - like anyone else - travel to a local library and use a computer there to download a patch, but as I mentioned, NWN2 will not patch (for me at least) from a file as it keeps searching for an internet connection. I won't rule out user error on that one, though, but as it isn't a major deal...

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Seriously though, I can - like anyone else - travel to a local library and use a computer there to download a patch, but as I mentioned, NWN2 will not patch (for me at least) from a file as it keeps searching for an internet connection. I won't rule out user error on that one, though, but as it isn't a major deal...

That actually is user error Tep, I had the same problem. When patching manually, you have to put the update in a certain file folder then hit the update button. It would then find that file in the folder and apply the patch.

That actually is user error Tep, I had the same problem. When patching manually, you have to put the update in a certain file folder then hit the update button. It would then find that file in the folder and apply the patch.

Hmmm, I thought I did that. I read a rather long instruction on how to do it, and was pretty sure I had it in the folder it was supposed to go. :/

What folder was it supposed to go to?