Fallout 3 First Impressions

Also, having just moved to the DC metro area, it's really weird traveling the the ruins of places I drive by nearly every day. It's really quite surreal. [Edit]Having said that, is it possible to travel to Bethesda, MD? :lol:

I found the Bethesda Ruins about 3 hours ago. Everyone there is dead now. :sorcerer:

I was hoping for an easter egg or something, but that's it: Bethesda Ruins with some raiders inside.

Too bad. I actually work in Bethesda.

That's a shame. I'll be moving there a week from today. Is there anything interesting in the Rosslyn-Courthouse area of Arlington?

Anyhow, the developers' offices are actually out in Rockville. You can see the building (with a "Zenimax" sign, which is their parent company) if you drive north on I-270 through the Rockville-Gaithersburg area.

Not too familiar with Courthouse/Arlington....other than the usual touristy stuff in Arlington. I actually live in Ashburn, VA, which is about 30 minutes west of DC. Don't make it into Arlington that much. I'm going to have to drive past their building or pay them a visit :D

Anyway, back to FO3 after my marathon session yesterday.....

Edited by Arkan

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

If you want a real explosion, detonate the nuke. It's beautiful.

In Megatawn?

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

I actually like the subway areas. When I fitst heard about them, I thought of long drudges through monster respawning caves. Nope. The places have a nice layout and I don't have to kill the same monsters every time I pass through a hallway. I'm thinking of making lack of/low rate of respawns a rule for buying computer games. Some games manage to shine with it, but I'm quickly starting to hate the decision in general. None of that non-sense with Fallout 3. Now, some of the areas I've cleared would make sense as a place for a new den of baddies, but if it stays unpopulated in the realistically short time gameworld wise, I'm not going to complain either.

My leg got ripped off by a bear trap. they also have the tripwire activates a gun form of traps too.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

My leg got ripped off by a bear trap. they also have the tripwire activates a gun form of traps too.

No worries, a quick medkit should fix that right up.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Finally reached the friggin museum. And now I'm overwhelmed by tons of Supermutants. How convenient.

yeah... I had that problem so I had to VATS, run, VATS, Run, and so on and so forth. I could take down about 3 before they caught me... that is until I got frustrated and Fatmaned my way to success.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Possible spoilers.

Found a companion called Sticky. I love the companion system in this game. You can pass your buddies any weapon or armor you want as well as take items back and they are actual help. Gave Sticky a 10mm smg and he hasn't shot me once in the back like Ian :lol:. Speaking of companions though, I still haven't found Dog Meat.

The game just keeps getting better and better. I was afraid the combat would get old fast, like Oblivion, but 15+ hours in and its still a blast, especially with Sticky around to offer covering fire.

I haven't laughed, smiled, said 'WOAH' and had this much fun with a game in a long, long time. :thumbsup: Can't believe I'm saying that about a Bethesda game of all things. Its like Carrot Top did a stand up routine that brought the house down.

Edited by GreasyDogMeat

Dogmeat is in the junkyard to the East of the Minefield (where the Megaton shopkeep sends you) killing raiders. He's tough. I accidentally shot him in the head with a combat shotgun.

Off to get Dogmeat! :thumbsup:

In Megatawn?

Yeah. Make a separate save or start an evil character, whatever it takes. Prob. the best explosion in any game ever.

Kind of like a cinematic or do you just have to get far enough away and watch the fireworks?

Anyway, I look eat of Minefield for DM but I couldn't find him... :lol::thumbsup:

In Megatawn?

Yeah. Make a separate save or start an evil character, whatever it takes. Prob. the best explosion in any game ever.

Kind of like a cinematic or do you just have to get far enough away and watch the fireworks?

Anyway, I look eat of Minefield for DM but I couldn't find him... :lol::thumbsup:

You rig the bomb, go to Tenpenny Tower and watch the fireworks.

I wish you could give your companions orders. In the Crysler Building, I had to leave dogmeat outside, as he'd immediately go on a rampage and bring everything in the building over to slaughter us. The building itself is a disappointment. This game has too many dungeons-to-nowhere. You enter a hostile area, and battle your way to the bottom to find

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.