Fallout 3 First Impressions

I am about 17 hours into the game and i just got dogmeat. He is nice to have, i am playing a good guy and I haven't been able to find a single person to hire to join me. Sure i found two people that temporarily joined me when i saved them from the super mutants but they blew through the ammo and guns i gave them really fast. Thankfully i saved it before they started trying to punch a group of 3 super mutants to death. Despite how easy it is for me to take the SMs out they weren't so lucky.

I did notice that the super mutants were a lot stronger in the actual capital. They stopped using hunting rifles and brought out the miniguns and rocket launchers.

One really cool scene i saw was in the Capital building. I saw some of the Talon mercenaries fighting some super mutants with a Behemoth. I saw one Talon merc fire off a FatMan at him then flee right into the hallway i was in, managed to take him out with VATS to the head. I think i took a single pot shot at it before the mercs took it out, thankfully the Mutants killed all but 3 of them and they weren't in great shape so they easily went down. I got loads of ammo and weapons.

Oh can anyone tell me where the Pentagon is? I have two suits of power armor (regular and outcast) but i cannot use them until i assume I talk to the brotherhood of steel and do some stuff for them. Also where are the outcast based? I saw some of them in the wasteland but didn't find their HQ.

It is funny, i have hardly seen the Brotherhood of Steel at all and i am pretty sure i am almost at the end of the main quest. I also skipped Galaxy News Radio heh.

I'm not sure if it's their "base" but there's a place called Fort Independence (which I think is like southwest of Megaton) where some Brotherhood outcasts hang around. Didn't seem to be an important quest location or anything, but you can turn in some junk tech to them for rewards (pretty good source for stimpaks).

I still *really* don't like the Fat Man. And the whole bit about how rare it was going to be is just bullcrap. You practically get one if you follow the main quest and the ammo isn't that hard to come by (like I said, I had 9 nukes last time I played). You can also buy the freaking thing for between 200 and 300 caps (!) in Rivet City.

I like that the DC area feels quite hostile and dangerous all in all. But man, I really wish they hadn't put those invisible barriers all over the place. It was also about the last thing I expected Bethesda to do. Kinda feels like they just wanted to force you to go down into the metro dungeons.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I actually got Dogmeat. And the very first encounter after that, some mercs showed up and killed him. That was a bit depressing, heh. But I'm teh hardcore!11 so I played on.

Edited by Starwars

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I get the feeling that people are happy about Fallout 3's dialogue because their comparing it with the Elder Scrolls games.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I did notice that the super mutants were a lot stronger in the actual capital. They stopped using hunting rifles and brought out the miniguns and rocket launchers.

I'm playing on easy.

At level 2, I met my first group of super-mutants right outside of Anfur (Lucy's hometown). The first one blew my legs off with a missle launcher and the second ripped through me with a mini-gun. I was dead so fast, it wasn't funny. And I only had a Chinese officer's sword to fight them with.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

No, the dialogue has gotten to be fairly bad. It's not terrible, just innane. I don't think the written dialogue is particuarly bad, but the voice over work takes mediocrity to a new level of lackluster. The problem is that you really have to fill in the gaps. Since it's simply not feasible for Stahl to open up to you as quickly as he does, you're better off filling in some of the gaps. I have to say that, of all the aspects of Fallout 3, the dialogue is the worst so far. The mini-games aren't bad. The lockpick one is a pain, but the computer hacking one is simple but clever. The weapons are cool and I like the monsters. The setting feels right. I've enjoyed the quests so far. In fact, I've almost got the Family quest all done. Just one more trip. But that goes to highlight the dialogue, where some of the events clearly should have elicited a stronger and sometimes different response. Overall, I'm enjoying the ladykiller perk, mostly because, while the dialogue is goofy, some of the responses are kind of cool. The part with Bittercup was quite funny. Here I was thinking she was going to sleep with me when she pulls a rabbit out of her hat. Where she was hiding the damned thing on those painted on clothes is beyond me, but bless the depressed lass! The game itself is fun, and I've spent hours on it all tolled, but I agree with Pidesco about the dialogue. Not a lot of gems in that pile of rocks.

Perhaps they wanted to keep that old Fallout flavor...

<player makes targeted shot to eyes>

<BANG>

<A slaver was hit in the eyes for no damage>

... :p

Heh, well yeah it was the same. But in FO1&2 yuo didn't actually see it hitting their eyes so it wasn't as bad. Here i shoot someone in the head 5 times from close range, and they just keep charging at me. It's just weird, feels like I'm fighting zombies.

Actually that would be pretty much the best thing ever, survival zombie RPG mod for Fallout 3.

I'm playing on easy.

At level 2, I met my first group of super-mutants right outside of Anfur (Lucy's hometown). The first one blew my legs off with a missle launcher and the second ripped through me with a mini-gun. I was dead so fast, it wasn't funny. And I only had a Chinese officer's sword to fight them with.

Really? huh, i did notice one super mutant with a rocket launcher nearby the drive in movie theater, but besides that 90% of mutants i saw outside the capital had hunting rifles, boards with nails in them and the occasional assault rifle. Now when i was in the capital there are some trenches going along the capital and i got hit by around 10 super mutants at once half of them having miniguns i got ripped to shreds in seconds.

Usually i have just as much trouble if not more from raiders. Also Talon Company gave me a hard time for a while until i got the metal armor, now it is a bit easier.

Where did you get the Chinese officer sword? I have yet to see it.

I just killed a super mutant with a minigun with 2 shots from my sniper rifle before he even had a chance to act. Playing on hard and the difficulty is juuuust a bit too low for my tastes. I guess I'll go with the highest difficulty setting on my next playthrough.

Also the coolest part of the game so far: Arifu. Anyone here read Virtual Light by Gibson? That bridge with the crude shacks really reminds of that book. Awesome. I just wish the modtools were released so I could start developing my own mod for the game...

Fine. I kicked the boyfriend off the computer and decided to play it.

Holy **** VATS is a great addition. I got a hold of a sniper rifle and blew this dudes head off in slow motion. That was awesome. I got that rifle early in the game. There was a raider om the over pass by Megaton who didn't know how to use it correctly, so I took it off his corpse. Now to see if I can find some awesome power armor. Being protected is my weakness right now.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

Really? huh, i did notice one super mutant with a rocket launcher nearby the drive in movie theater, but besides that 90% of mutants i saw outside the capital had hunting rifles, boards with nails in them and the occasional assault rifle. Now when i was in the capital there are some trenches going along the capital and i got hit by around 10 super mutants at once half of them having miniguns i got ripped to shreds in seconds.

Usually i have just as much trouble if not more from raiders. Also Talon Company gave me a hard time for a while until i got the metal armor, now it is a bit easier.

Where did you get the Chinese officer sword? I have yet to see it.

Vault 106 :p

Have you done the quest where you rescue the Wastelanders from the Super Mutants? I only have one rescue so far, but got stuck in a house surrounded by four Super Mutants with two mini-guns, a shotgun, and a hunting rifle. Have you gone by Germantown? I'm loading up my rifle before I do the Big Town mission.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

I'm having a lot more fun now :) Just cleared a den of fire ants! MFers were tough as nails!

I found something that has SEVERELY turned the tide in my favor, maybe unbalancing-ly so. A RIPPER!!

I climbed out of the metro at Falls Church and was able to shred a group of supermutants limb from limb! This thing might be a bit overpowered because you can simply hold down the attack button and, as it's name implies, it rips and rips and rips! It has no ammo, either, so that makes it even worse. If you get within striking distance of anybody that uses guns, they're mince meat.

Anybody else come across this thing yet?

Also, having just moved to the DC metro area, it's really weird traveling the the ruins of places I drive by nearly every day. It's really quite surreal. [Edit]Having said that, is it possible to travel to Bethesda, MD? :p

Edited by Arkan

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

I'm having a lot more fun now :p Just cleared a den of fire ants! MFers were tough as nails!

I found something that has SEVERELY turned the tide in my favor, maybe unbalancing-ly so. A RIPPER!!

I climbed out of the metro at Falls Church and was able to shred a group of supermutants limb from limb! This thing might be a bit overpowered because you can simply hold down the attack button and, as it's name implies, it rips and rips and rips! It has no ammo, either, so that makes it even worse. If you get within striking distance of anybody that uses guns, they're mince meat.

I haven't come across it yet, Ark.

BTW, would my ST1, EN 1 character be able to use the ripper properly?

manthing2.jpg

I found dad!

Lemme guess, he's dead or dying?

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Holy **** VATS is a great addition. I got a hold of a sniper rifle and blew this dudes head off in slow motion. That was awesome. I got that rifle early in the game. There was a raider om the over pass by Megaton who didn't know how to use it correctly, so I took it off his corpse. Now to see if I can find some awesome power armor. Being protected is my weakness right now.

Muhahahaha...... :x

Also, having just moved to the DC metro area, it's really weird traveling the the ruins of places I drive by nearly every day. It's really quite surreal. [Edit]Having said that, is it possible to travel to Bethesda, MD? o:)

I found the Bethesda Ruins about 3 hours ago. Everyone there is dead now. :x

I was hoping for an easter egg or something, but that's it: Bethesda Ruins with some raiders inside.

Heh. Conflicting opinions, as we all expected, right? I won't even have the option of buying it till I get a new computer around January, so let's wait and see.

Haven't found anyone who's enamoured with the dialogue yet, so I assume it's standard Oblivion quality, but upgraded.

What's all this talk about invisible walls? Really?

Loved newc(?)'s mention of clever traps, honestly think that was the biggest missed opportunity with Oblivion. I got some amazing thrills in the first few hours with the traps they had and the nice animations, but it really sucked when that turned out to be the entire repertoire. With better traps (and more tactical environments instead of, uh, flat rocks) Oblivion dungeons might have been really fun.

Yeah, it's a fun game although it's not as good as the originals. As for the power armor, I believe that you need to find the Brotherhood of Steel to get some - although I might be mistaken. :x

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Heh. Conflicting opinions, as we all expected, right? I won't even have the option of buying it till I get a new computer around January, so let's wait and see.

Haven't found anyone who's enamoured with the dialogue yet, so I assume it's standard Oblivion quality, but upgraded.

What's all this talk about invisible walls? Really?

Loved newc(?)'s mention of clever traps, honestly think that was the biggest missed opportunity with Oblivion. I got some amazing thrills in the first few hours with the traps they had and the nice animations, but it really sucked when that turned out to be the entire repertoire. With better traps (and more tactical environments instead of, uh, flat rocks) Oblivion dungeons might have been really fun.

The dialogue is fine, it's the voice actors who are a bit...wooden. I guess that's the perfect analogy: Fallout 3 is the big budget hollywood sequel. Fallout 3 is like Terminator 3. Still, it's a good game.

Yes.

Fallout3SS05.jpg

I haven't actually used it (since I have like 3 Str and no points in unarmed or melee) but I noticed it looks cool and sounds like a moped :x

I finally found my first 'coloured' bobblehead (so now I know what bonus they give)! Up to six now. But damn are they difficult to find..

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I don't understand the complaints about the dialogue or the voice acting. I

Eh? What complaints? I can't play the game yet, remember? :)

And your description is really exactly what I mean. I suppose the term 'standard Oblivion quality' leaves it up to interpretation. I felt Oblivion had plain-speaking dialogue that did the job, and rarely made me cringed, but equally, there was nothing really positive about the dialogue - no memorable lines, no real funnies, no real character. From what I've seen and read, I expect FO3 to be the same, but perhaps with a bit more colour and style than before - I think Beth made a conscious effort on that line.

How many companions are there btw?

Eh? What complaints? I can't play the game yet, remember? :)

I wasn't talking about you. :)

And your description is really exactly what I mean. I suppose the term 'standard Oblivion quality' leaves it up to interpretation. I felt Oblivion had plain-speaking dialogue that did the job, and rarely made me cringed, but equally, there was nothing really positive about the dialogue - no memorable lines, no real funnies, no real character. From what I've seen and read, I expect FO3 to be the same, but perhaps with a bit more colour and style than before - I think Beth made a conscious effort on that line.

How many companions are there btw?

As far as I know, there's only dogmeat. Though I suppose Jericho might be a companion. I've been using speech conversation options as I find them and not quick saving before I talk to people. At this point, I've lost 80% of my speech challanges (my speech is now 55, so it's getting better). I think Bethesda counted on people saving and reloading because charisma is my highest stat and speech is my highest still.

I'd disagree; the voice acting and dialogue in Oblivion was consistently bad.