"DRM" and "D&D 4th Edition In Games" Thread

Blarghagh

I am tired of every thread here going offtopic, turning into bitching and moaning about how you guys will not buy a game with DRM or a D&D game based on the 4th Edition. If you feel the need to vent about that, do it here. Stop hijacking perfectly good topics about other games that sometimes don't even have any connection to either of these things.

*Hides big pruning scissors behind his back*

Nice idea. Let's see if we can point people in this direction with their gripes... worth a try :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I think this is a bad idea. Draconian DRM a la that in Spore is a major uhm, feature, uhm of a game and it is, therefore, perfectly reasonable to discuss it in a thread related to the game in question. Besides, channeling all DRM talk into one thread is liable to limiting exposure of that talk, which is also bad, considering how many of us think it is a very important issue. Some company forums (e.g. BioWare) do try to limit such talk to one thread for precisely that reason, but luckily Obsidian is not embroiled in that fiasco (and I hope that remains the case), so it is safe and does not have to restrict the rage to one thread only.

In how many threads can you beat the same dead horse?

I don't like EA's DRM, but hijacking all possible threads with the same old song isn't such a good idea. We already had something along those lines when K2 was released, and it resulted in more stringent moderation policies and a threat to shut down the boards permanently.

And no, anti-copy systems are not features any more than the color of the box the game is shipped in is. They are entirely up to the publisher.

I don't like EA's DRM, but hijacking all possible threads with the same old song isn't such a good idea. We already had something along those lines when K2 was released, and it resulted in more stringent moderation policies and a threat to shut down the boards permanently.

Dude, that's epic

Are there any threats lying around? I want to read :)

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

In how many threads can you beat the same dead horse?

Draconian DRM is not a dead horse - it is a very topical issue at the moment. As to how many threads it should be mentioned in, I cannot give you a number, but it is perfectly legitimate to mention it in threads that are relevant to it, which means threads that discuss games that have such DRM or games that are not released, but may well have such DRM.

And no, anti-copy systems are not features any more than the color of the box the game is shipped in is. They are entirely up to the publisher.

I think most gamers' issues with DRM are not anti-copy systems, but rather limited installs and online activation. And yes, it is a 'feature' of the game itself, or rather an anti-feature, since draconian DRM is integral to the usage of the game itself. Unlike a color of the box, DRM is installed with the game and affects how a game is used, which makes it a part of the game itself as far as the end user is concerned.

Draconian DRM is not a dead horse - it is a very topical issue at the moment. As to how many threads it should be mentioned in, I cannot give you a number, but it is perfectly legitimate to mention it in threads that are relevant to it, which means threads that discuss games that have such DRM or games that are not released, but may well have such DRM.
Even at the cost of disrupting any number of discussions pertaining to other aspects of the games. Just because... you are worried about it. Take your shining armor off for a second, and note that DRM is not a deal breaker for everyone. It is for me, it is for you, and it is for a handful others. But not for everyone. Taking over threads with unrelated discussions (as much as sounding like a broken record can be called "discussing") about DRM is obnoxious and disrespectful to others.

These boards just aren't the best place to conduct your private crusade.

And yes, it is a 'feature' of the game itself, or rather an anti-feature, since draconian DRM is integral to the usage of the game itself. Unlike a color of the box, DRM is installed with the game and affects how a game is used, which makes it a part of the game itself as far as the end user is concerned.
The point is that it's something over which Obsidian has no power whatsoever. They didn't design it, they didn't implement it - it's not a feature of the game. It's up to Atari. You are attempting to campaign against the wrong people.

Are there any threats lying around? I want to read :)
I thought you were around when that happened?

Anyway, if you are referring to the thread to close the forum, no. It was a "global notice"-sticky by Feargus which appeared as an overhead, that was taken down when the storm passed.

well, I was very infrequent visitor in early days and after geristering I pretty much forgot about it. Most of the time I didn't even remember I had registered in here at all

So I wasn't around the great ****storm.

for the last part; too bad :/

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Taking over threads with unrelated discussions (as much as sounding like a broken record can be called "discussing") about DRM is obnoxious and disrespectful to others.

That pretty much sums it up.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

DRM is a feature of the games. If you had to wear a large stupid metal hat whenever you wanted to play, that's a legitimate fething negative feature.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

DRM is a feature of the games. If you had to wear a large stupid metal hat whenever you wanted to play, that's a legitimate fething negative feature.

Are you saying that people should just suck it up, close their eyes and think of England?

I use Rhapsody for my music, and I get two activations, I believe. But I can go in and un-activate a computer and then activate a new one. Would anyone have a problem with that, if EA went that route?

If they could make it so that a reformat of the hardrive would un-activate the computer as well then I would be completely happy for the most part. A DRM that is just a max of three computers or so active at the same time would be bliss.

sporegif20080614235048aq1.gif

Exactly. Ignoring the problem will not make it go away, nor will cosmetic changes to the system -id est what EA is doing- make a difference. :p

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Welcome to the future of DRM:

bc.jpg

*Brought to you by the Ministry of User-Friendly DRM

Thanks for the awesome avatar Jorian!

bc.jpg

Hate to break it to you, but it looks like you've been foiled once again by "The Scene"!

tinfoil_hat.jpg

DRM sucks as those who support it. D&D 4th Edition In Games sucks even more. EA really bites the big one. I had to add that last one in. Thank You. Have a nice day. :)

That felt good, didn't it? :)

bc.jpg

Hate to break it to you, but it looks like you've been foiled once again by "The Scene"!

tinfoil_hat.jpg

On the second picture is the cracked version for sure :D

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

I tell you what, can you include something which allows me to choose to wear a large stupid metal hat INSTEAD of drm?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

bc.jpg

tinfoil_hat.jpg

On the second picture is the cracked version for sure :D

rofl

Thanks for the awesome avatar Jorian!