US Presidential Elections 2

SteveThaiBinh

oh, yeah, smart... that would describe it. now he announces that powell will be in his administration.

everybody that is falling for this load of claptrap is a moron.

taks

Well, that is a given in the game of politics. But i wouldn't mind him in Obama's administration.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I doubt that Powell would get a cabinet post or similar position in an Obama administration. More likely would be something like a temporary Special Envoy to deal with a high-level diplomatic mission (e.g., to Pakistan, Isreal/Palestine, etc.).

Anyhow, the effect on the election will be minimal, if anything. Endorsements, when they have any import at all, are generally useful as a proxy to help voters who hadn't invested the time to familiarize themselves with the candidates a whole lot (i.e., "I don't know about X, but I like Y, and Y endorses X, so he's got my vote"). Thus, their importance is generally inversely proportional to the public awareness of the race/candidates. Late in a general election for the most high-profile position possible, people aren't changing their decisions based on an endorsement.

(As Pop points out, though, has been entertaining to see the far rightward end of the media try to spin this as nothing more than Powell's loyalty to his Soul Brotha.)

I heard an interesting bit on the radio today, taken from the Howard Stern show. They were interviewing people that said the were voting for Obama, but they were asking questions like:

"So you are ok with Obama's Pro life agenda?"

"It's ok with you that Obama want's to keep the troops in Iraq indefinitely?"

"Are you glad that Obama chose Palin as his running mate?"

It was really sad, because the people being interviewed really didn't get it. They just kept saying the support Obama's decisions and they agree with him.

But honestly, uneducated blindly supportive folks are on both sides.

Liberal Republican? Liberal conservative? Socially liberal but fiscally conservative? Liberal Liberal?

Please define Powell's Liberalism :)

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

So we're not really electing a total angel here, huh?

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

It's kinda funny Obama would have anything to do with Powel given that he was the public face of the big fat lie the Bush administration went to war on. I guess name recognition means more than accountability.

Powell argued emphatically, behind the scenes, against Cheney, Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz, et al, against the invasion of Iraq, but in the end was unable to convince Bush to see reason. After he lost, Powell, being the good soldier that he always has been, put on his public face stood behind the President's decision.

Despite being the public face behind making the case to invade Iraq, Powell retains alot of his popularity in this country. Americans have always seen him as a person of integrity, and worthy of respect. His favorability numbers are as high as any public figure in politics. He has broad appeal to a wide range of the voting public, whether Democrat, Republican, or Independent. He's not exactly someone that would be easy to demonize as a target for character assassination.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

it's nothing more than powell showing us that he is, and always has been, a liberal. oh well...

taks

I take Powell's liberalism over Palin's conservatism any day of the week.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

hardly apples and oranges, powell's just the hypocrite which was all i was pointing out.

fools like you really think liberalism works to your advantage. i can't blame you. charismatic folks like obama sell it well. sheep like you drink it up. you'll realize when it's too late. hopefully in time to do something about it.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

sheep like you drink it up. you'll realize when it's too late. hopefully in time to do something about it.

So many jokes in there... its not even funny ;P

Btw, havent you heard, McCain is on the payroll of "ze russkies". Still voting him?

sheep like you drink it up. you'll realize when it's too late. hopefully in time to do something about it.

Btw, havent you heard, McCain is on the payroll of "ze russkies". Still voting him?

Wait. Is that before or after they turned him down? Or did you miss the tiny detail of the story that they got a mass mailing and comedically refused to support him.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

fools like you really think liberalism works to your advantage. i can't blame you. charismatic folks like obama sell it well. sheep like you drink it up. you'll realize when it's too late. hopefully in time to do something about it.

taks

Okay, that crosses some kind of line. Implying that people only support liberal candidates because of pure self-interest and charismatic pied-pipers is both mean-spirited and ignorant. Frankly, taks, I expect better of you. Public policy isn't like science class-- there are extraordinarily few positions that are clearly "right" or "wrong," and if you think you know for certain which ones they are in advance, you're fooling yourself. Rational arguments can be made on both sides, and we can differ in our opinions without believing the worst about one another.

hardly apples and oranges, powell's just the hypocrite which was all i was pointing out.

taks

I am voting based on the issues, like any informed voter. The issues on abortion, gay/lesbian equal rights, health care, education, and the economy are important to me. On these issues I am a liberal, and I am a liberal with great pride. I agree more with Obama on these issues than McCain/Palin. It has nothing to do with me gaining the advantage because the vast majority of these issues, regardless how they go, will not effect me in the least. You sound like a bitter old man, taks, stuck in the past, trying to desperately hold on antiquated traditions that have no place in a modern world so you lash out, calling people who seek true equality, where gender, social class, sexual orientation, religious beliefs, ethnicity, and nation of origin no longer matters, as sheep.

I don't know if I should laugh or feel pity for you.

Edited by Killian Kalthorne

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

taks

Dude, do you have a case of mondays today. It's already tuesday.

Edited by Meshugger

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

health care, education, and the economy are important to me. On these issues I am a liberal, and I am a liberal with great pride.

these three issues are important to me, too, but i'm also capable of understanding the one thing in the world that will help all three, and liberalism ain't it.

You sound like a bitter old man, taks, stuck in the past, trying to desperately hold on antiquated traditions that have no place in a modern world so you lash out, calling people who seek true equality, where gender, social class, sexual orientation, religious beliefs, ethnicity, and nation of origin no longer matters, as sheep.

give it a rest. you are without a doubt the most uninformed liberal i have ever met. you don't even understand what drives these issues, only that you stand to benefit from them. it's got nothing to do with antiquated traditions. it's got everything to do with what works, and liberalism doesn't work, particularly when it comes to the economy (technically, liberal economic policies are the only thing that works, but liberal in that context means free market).

by the way you dolt, show me where EVER i have had a gripe with equality. i dare you. i am, without a doubt, the most tolerant w.r.t. religion on this entire board (i am an atheist, moron), i've never bashed anyone regarding their sexual orientation or gender or ethnicity or nation of origin. you make these lies up to support your already weak arguments. pathetic.

in your world, some people are more equal than others. you don't preach equality, you preach hypocrisy.

taks

Okay, that crosses some kind of line. Implying that people only support liberal candidates because of pure self-interest and charismatic pied-pipers is both mean-spirited and ignorant.

nonsense. i think you need to reread and understand what it is that i actually said.

Frankly, taks, I expect better of you.

and i expect you to actually understand what i said, how wrong i was.

Rational arguments can be made on both sides, and we can differ in our opinions without believing the worst about one another.

not when it comes to economics, and the liberalism that idiots like killian are pushing does not work. i'm sorry, but you are simply wrong here. we'll keep on pushing the same end of the string in hopes that some day it will work, however, driving ever forward to catastrophe.

another idiot that can't read.

taks

taks

Well maybe some of them are sheep, but if I have to give my most obvious comparison of mass of people to a stock of sheep then it would have to be those country rightwing IQ average 82 rednecks I see, not only in America, but in almost every nation.

Well maybe some of them are sheep, but if I have to give my most obvious comparison of mass of people to a stock of sheep then it would have to be those country rightwing IQ average 82 rednecks I see, not only in America, but in almost every nation.

lolz... yet another hypocritical liberal. everyone that believes in anything even remotely rightwing must be a) redneck and b) low IQ. you know this because why? because they're rightwing therefore they must be low IQ? or because you're in possession of such a high IQ that you can tell? they don't agree with you therefore... i can go on and on. and yet i'm the one with the superiority complex.

somehow, liberals are for the workers and conservatives are for the rich. wonder how such a mess of stupid people managed to get rich? certainly they didn't all inherit their wealth?

sorry walsh, can no longer edit my above reply. instead, i challenge those that are comprehension challenged to find a post in which i gave my support to mccain or right wing politics in general. i'll give you a hint, i replied point blank to meshugger regarding my views.

taks

Wait. Is that before or after they turned him down? Or did you miss the tiny detail of the story that they got a mass mailing and comedically refused to support him.

Since when do details matter in this race? Obama is a terrorist and McCain is a commrade. Nuff said. :)

And by calling me an idiot for that comment task, you just proved the case for right wingers generally being of low IQ.

Edited by Brdavs

It's the nature of democracy (for lack of a better term) that sometimes our candidate wins and sometimes not. I would rather live with the mistakes of my redneck bretheren with their 82 IQ or follow my ovisian bretheren in their mad dash following the pied piper than be placed under the heel of a despot. We might not like the policy decisions foisted on us by opposing views, but we can hope to change those policies later. So, if your guy doesn't win this election, take heart that the force of your argument might take the day in the next one. As for myself, I am voting for McCain, but the Republic will endure (and hopefully thrive) whether McCain or Obama wins.

I agree with taks, though. McCain is not the Republican candidate I would have chose for this elections. Probably not the one I would choose for any election. ...But he's closer to me ideologically than Obama.