US Presidential Elections 2

SteveThaiBinh

I just watched the vp debate at youtube. As expected, it was no contest. Biden clearly was more knowledgeable, brought in legislative examples, and explained his opinions with substance. Palin however, never directly answered the questions, talked in full-rhetoric mode, and devoid of any substance. And ofcourse,

- Nucular

- Nucular

- Maverick

- Joe sixpack

- Hockey mom

- Maverick

- Maverick

- Nucular

- Maverick

- God

- Evil

The only reason on why people would think that it was a tie or that Palin, heaven forbid, won; Was that she atleast stayed true to her empty rhetoric with a folksy manner, and thus, "won".

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

:)

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Truman was dealing with recovering from the Great Depression, so it doesn't surprise me that he saw the Republicans as heartless robots. They created a very bad situation for the country.

I don't think you can compare our current situation to the 20's though. There are tremendous differences in business, government, and the economy in general.

Truman was dealing with recovering from the Great Depression, so it doesn't surprise me that he saw the Republicans as heartless robots. They created a very bad situation for the country.

I don't think you can compare our current situation to the 20's though. There are tremendous differences in business, government, and the economy in general.

And yet, Truman's description of them 60 years ago isn't much different to how many describe them now.

Maybe some things have changed, but the basic idea remains: they oppose government improvement in welfare, healthcare, and education. It is for these things that Truman despised them, and it is also for these things (among others) they are disliked today.

Also, Truman made that speech in the mid 50's, not the 20's. I think the Great Depression was definitely over then.

Joe Biden sees his son leave for war today: http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/200...03/1488949.aspx

It's pretty amazing that Palin can delude herself by claiming Biden wants to surrender Iraq when just the next day his son deploys there.

EDIT: Common sense prevails; the rescue package passed 263 to 171.

Edited by Krezack

Just an update for those interested: Obama has been polling at an average of 7% above McCain for 10 days now. Historically, by this point in the election, 95% of voters have already made up their mind definitively who they plan to vote for on election day.

Obama's campaign is currently planning to win Nebraska, Ohio, Indiana, Missouri and North Carolina. Obama seems to have already won Michigan, Florida, Virginia, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania and New Hampshire.

McCain is trying to win 1 of Maine's 4 electoral votes, much like Obama is doing in Nebraska.

McCain should be careful or Texas will soon flip for Obama, too. Then again, once Texas flips you can bet Obama has already won upwards of 370 electoral votes elsewhere. For those new to quirky American politics, you need 270 electoral votes to win. Obama is currently on about 264 EVs. McCain is on about 190.

http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/

http://www.electoral-vote.com/

Edited by Krezack

No sweat, It`s been divolged that Obama associates with terrorists. The redneck vote ftMcw. :wub:

Btw, has there been any comment by either of the candidates on the statements made by the brigadier in charge of UK forces in Afghanistan that concluded military victory is not fiesable and that they should possibly even consider negotiations with the Taliban? Cos I`m thinking that if the oldest and most loyal ally with experience in matters of occupation of the same region is having second thoughts one might possibly start to think the "surge will save the day" strategy might not be the definitve answer to all the problems afterall heh...

A little OT, but I never understood why Americans are calling one party "The Republicans", the other "The Democrats". A Republic is a state form, while a Democracy is a form of government. So American citizens live in a Republic, which is governed democratically. And yet, "The Republicans" and "The Democrats" are seen as two different things. One can't be the other and vice versa. Weird.

Yeah, that crazy Palin bitch is claiming Obama is a terrorist.

Funny, except Obama was 8 years old when the guy he's accused of 'associating' with was involved in those anti-Vietnam protests. Moreover, Obama's association with was regarding funding grants for disadvantaged school students.

Seems like the Palin thinks education is terrorism, but does that surprise anybody?

A little OT, but I never understood why Americans are calling one party "The Republicans", the other "The Democrats". A Republic is a state form, while a Democracy is a form of government. So American citizens live in a Republic, which is governed democratically. And yet, "The Republicans" and "The Democrats" are seen as two different things. One can't be the other and vice versa. Weird.

Yeah, we should return to the Torries and the Whigs. I'd vote Bull Moose Party every year if I could.

Yeah, that crazy Palin bitch is claiming Obama is a terrorist.

Funny, except Obama was 8 years old when the guy he's accused of 'associating' with was involved in those anti-Vietnam protests. Moreover, Obama's association with was regarding funding grants for disadvantaged school students.

Seems like the Palin thinks education is terrorism, but does that surprise anybody?

You seem not to understand that when you are young and you come in contact with the terrorist even unwillingly actual means you're a bad person for life. Or in other words, it never stops to amaze me what politicians would say and use as an argument to get elected.

@Brdavs

I don't know of any intelligent american that has said that The Surge strategy is feasible in Afghanistan. On the contrary The Surge is successful in Iraq and the General in charge of Afghanistan has to my knowledge held that a different strategy will be needed for Afghanistan.

I don't think anything has been said about the british defeatism.

sporegif20080614235048aq1.gif

I've heard a lot of conflicting reports about the success of this surge strategy. Besides the fact that McCain said it works 100%, and he lies alot, and besides the fact that Obama said it didn't and I'm pro-Obama, I'd actually like some evidence that it is working in a long-term sustainable way.

I mean, it's clearly a failure if we have to do repeated surges and if it doesn't bring about a clear end to the war any time soon, right?

While we're all hearing about McPalin accuse Obama of being a terrorist, why don't we look at McCain's record: http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/233..._maverick/print

Edited by Krezack

I agree with hildegaarde's point. Simply knowing terrorists doesn't make you a terrorists. I know all sort sof unsavoury types, but i don't think I'm unsavoury.

However, something which does disturb me is how far certain middle class elites seem to accept the WUO. they used plenty of force in tehir attacks. Plenty enough to kill people. Brushing it off as 1960s idealism strikes me as obscene.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I think people are brushing it off because Obama was 8 when they existed. He's never had anything to do with WUO and has personally denounced their acts.

And as for force - well, maybe didn't like the idea of being conscripted to go fight in an unjust war in a dangerous country to fight an unwinnable battle. It's not like the American government had a stellar civil rights record at the time.

Not justifying them, but it's hardly black and white.

Oh, and if you think this 'surge' tactic has been successful in decreasing sectarian violence, you should read this: http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/comme...rge-952490.html

The Independent has an absolutely white hot editorial slant against anything good about the war. They were running splash front pages for months depicting total chaos and destruction, saying that the only way to save the situation was a Big Bug Out. Turns out they were talking bollocks, so it's not at all surprising to see them trying to claim its still disastrous. The surge imposed enough calm to get people talking. It hasn't done anything by itself, but to say it was a waste of time, or to argue that security isn't important in peace-making/peace-keeping strikes me as amazing.

Anyway, talking of the WUO, they only became officially defunct in 1981.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

The bombing occurred in the 60's and Obama worked on completely unrelated education reform with Ayres in the 90's. I think it's safe to say he's completely unrelated to them, yes?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Ayers#Co...to_Barack_Obama

Re the 'surge': But McCain continually claims that the 'surge' ended sectarian violence. This is, of course, after he claimed that there was no record of sectarian violence between Sunni and Shi'ia. Much like he claimed the economy was fundamentally sound the same day Wall Street was crumbling.