US Presidential Elections 2

SteveThaiBinh

Evidence? There are quite a few studies out there that back this up, go do some research if you don't believe him.

Why don't you show me these studies? You're the ones making a claim. I'm not doing your research for you.

I don't post if I don't have anything to say, which I guess makes me better than the rest of your so-called "community." 8)

Evidence? There are quite a few studies out there that back this up, go do some research if you don't believe him.

Why don't you show me these studies? You're the ones making a claim. I'm not doing your research for you.

Actually I'm not the one who pointed it out initially. I just seconded the other person. I already sat through and completed the college class on sociology that covered this, I don't see any reason to go back over it. You asked for evidence, so go get it. You aren't paying me to teach you.

technically, it would be first on enoch and second on you since that's where the claim originated. cycloneman was justified in asking. just saying you were seconding some elses' response doesn't absolve you of responsibility for making an otherwise unfounded claim. o:) personally, i don't care either way. the government should completely get out of the marriage business.

anyway, i voted. and i'm filing an official complaint with our county (el paso) for a) directing me to the wrong polling place and wasting over 3 hours of my morning (i'm holding the voter card that told me where to go... and it is wrong) and b) dropping my wife from the registration list. both of us have cards from the last election, with the wrong location, and neither of us got new cards. apparently this is a common problem today. i'm also going to file a second complaint for the ludicrous practice of having only ONE person per voting precinct checking names. they could easily have cut the list into 3 batches (alphabetical anyone?) and gotten us all through much quicker. the 3 hours i waited in line less than 100 people got to vote.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

anyway, i voted. and i'm filing an official complaint with our county (el paso) for a) directing me to the wrong polling place and wasting over 3 hours of my morning (i'm holding the voter card that told me where to go... and it is wrong) and b) dropping my wife from the registration list.

Sounds pretty bad - at least you did manage to vote after the ordeal. Did they allow your wife to vote in the end too?

Taks - Hades

Taks's wife - Not Hades

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

i went to starbucks to get my free cup of joe, too, but opted for a more costly venti cinammon dolce latte. i had enough left on a gift card so it was sort of free anyway.

now i'm drinking re-heated folgers that tastes kinda like crap.

taks

It's only disenfranchisement if she's a democrat. Otherwise, it's just bad luck.

I'm heading out to vote in a few. I'm hoping the lines aren't that long. I've rarely had to stand in line for more than 5 minutes to vote, but this could be a first.

i went to starbucks to get my free cup of joe, too, but opted for a more costly venti cinammon dolce latte. i had enough left on a gift card so it was sort of free anyway.

now i'm drinking re-heated folgers that tastes kinda like crap.

taks

Legally, you can get the free cup whether you vote or not.

Ouch, so she was actually prevented from voting by the voting authorities because of their mistake. Ouch!

yes and no. she could have voted on a provisional ballot, and checked the "i have a registration" box (which apparently guarantees the vote is counted... somehow), but she didn't realize that at the time and, more importantly, she didn't have time to wait in another line (which actually would have been very short).

we think part of the problem is that our zip code changed in the last two years.

taks

^hurlshot... yeah, that would make sense. paying someone to vote would be illegal.

Edited by taks

So many complaints have been made due to all sorts of problems at the voting sites. Who in the US actually takes care about the voting process and resources allocated for the job? Federal states or?

States typically determine how/where/when voters vote, IIRC.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I voted and I voted nearly all Republican. This is generally true anyhow, as I favor fiscally conservative candidates. On one hand, the Republican party has is no longer the party of responsible spending. On the other hand, the Republican party has become the party of socially conservative policy. I'm not particularly interested in so-called social issues. I'd go so far as to say that I favor legalizing marijuana. My personal feelings aside, abortion is not a policy issue. The government should not care about which adult has consensual sexual relations. In fact, other than the fact that it's a ballot issue in my state, I really don't care about homosexual marriages. Frankly, like J.E., I think we should get rid of the ballot initiative in California and make ammendments to the state constitution much more difficult.

Yeah, voter registration and ballot printing and distribution have been handled at the county or city level in every jurisdiction I've voted in, too. Generally, states set the laws (within Constitutional bounds) and the counties administer them on election day. There is some potential for federal involvement, but that all takes place well before election day-- I'm thinking of DoJ's review of changes to voting procedures in covered jurisdictions under section 5 of the Voting Rights Act.

we've actually got a proposition on our ballot to make it harder. we have a ridiculous number of amendments proposed every year.

vote early, vote often, btw. :)

taks

I voted and I voted nearly all Republican. This is generally true anyhow, as I favor fiscally conservative candidates. On one hand, the Republican party has is no longer the party of responsible spending.

A vote for the Democrats is a vote for responsible spending. Take a look at this graph. Who's the responsible spenders here?

Edited by Cycloneman
I don't post if I don't have anything to say, which I guess makes me better than the rest of your so-called "community." 8)

i think you need to go back and look at who was in charge of house/senate at the time of the presidency to make any judgments on "fiscal responsibility." to not do so is disingenuous at best, an outright lie at worst.

the fact of the matter is that bush had a republican house/senate during his first 6 years, so nothing got vetoed. clinton did as well, and he vetoed everything.

contrary to your opinion, a vote for democrats is a vote for a super-majority over the house, senate and presidency. i'm not sure if this has ever happened before.

taks

contrary to your opinion, a vote for democrats is a vote for a super-majority over the house, senate and presidency. i'm not sure if this has ever happened before.

taks

...and rainbows, unicorns and birds will suddenly appear and honey will flow everywhere by tomorrow :)

Or, it will be a rainy day on my way to work, the coffeemachine will be out of order, and the intranet have gone into smoke, leaving me to spend the rest of the day discussing the election with people whose english sounds like a bad copy of Apu from Simpsons (Yeah, i work in a multinational company.)

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I love how politics more often that not turns into "how can we make the other guy seem more incompetent?" instead of "how do we fix this problem?" - I know it's got something to do with the fact that people tend to disagree on what the best solution is.. still funny though.. in a sad way.

Fortune favors the bald.