Piranha Bytes RPG teaser site

Morgoth

I haven't gotten to much playtime yet, but I'm also enjoying it. I usually have a kind of a hard time with exploration games in that I get bored with them before they end. But I can still definetely recognize the quality here (and in the Gothics for that matter). It's also a pretty good example of how to do an action-RPG combat system IMO. It's definetely action-oriented, but you need to be on your toes and be careful in timing attacks. It's too bad that I really suck at this kind of gameplay, haha. But it is fun. It's refreshing to play games where you can actually die.

I'm happy with my purchase.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I'm definitely buying this one, just need to find a copy.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Well, I've had two bugs now, after perhaps.. 15 hours of playtime. One where a body fell through the undergrowth (but was still lootable) and one where I was trying to enter a house, but took the turn too sharply, ran into the doorpost and suddenly ended up on the roof! It was very confusing and comical. It wasn't a problem though as you can climb in Risen (yay!), but I haven't been able to replicate the bug. Otherwise it would be a perfect escape route for when you're being chased in town!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

The traders really do not have ANY gold

I'm pretty sure that they do have gold. Infinite amounts of it, as a matter of fact.

Anyway, I'm in Chapter 2 right now, and so far it's the best PB's game. They kept everything that was good about Gothic and fixed the only thing that was less-than-good: combat.

20795.jpg

I would also say that it is infact more accessable than the Gothic series aswell.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Something like:

"The value of our goods does not match"

"That's OK, I'll take the difference in gold"

[dialogue box]

Yes?

Second line is said by you, not the merchant, so reverse your answer?

Note: I don't have Risen (yet) but that was the problem someone else was having.

That's exactly it! You have to try to match the value of your wares in the sell box (you) with the value of the wares in the buy box (trader). If you offer too little wares, he takes the rest in gold from you. If you offer too much, you never get gold back, he only thinks he's made one hell of a deal.

So far I've never been able to wring any gold out of a trader. Not that it matters since I'm getting a lot of gold now anyhow, but it would be fun to know how H

That's exactly it! You have to try to match the value of your wares in the sell box (you) with the value of the wares in the buy box (trader). If you offer too little wares, he takes the rest in gold from you. If you offer too much, you never get gold back, he only thinks he's made one hell of a deal.

.. Are you sure?

If so, you're dealing with one hell of a bug.

Just to be sure, I'll do to a trader, sell them a single item and see if your gold doesn't increase.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

I've gotten gold back in exchange for items i've sold, then used that gold to buy items i wanted. I've also done wares for wares transactions. Nothing odd that i've seen, although granted, i've only just encountered my first trader, heh.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

Okay, so generally sounds like Gothic but with better combat, a bit more accessible, surprisingly bug-free and generally, cool beans. Now I'm wondering whether to pick it up... are there any significant differences in terms of story, characters, world, general gameplay, or is it your typical Gothic (not that its bad)?

That is, if the local shops are even going to pay attention. They're toob usy stocking up the COMING SOON shelves with blood-splattered copies of Dragon Age (where's AP? :p).

Auckland downtown EB definitely had preorder Alpha Protocol boxes a couple of weeks ago, but not the Queen St one. Risen will not turn up retail, most likely, due to Australia's fascist rating scheme- lol, band- so buy online (Gamersgate/ Steam etc) or from MightyApe or equivalent direct importer.

So far I've never been able to wring any gold out of a trader. Not that it matters since I'm getting a lot of gold now anyhow, but it would be fun to know how H

Ah, right, did Australia ban Risen outright? I'm disappointed Bill Hastings still hasn't got around to fixing the stupid arrangement where NZ just obeys Australian censorship, but he explained to me a few years ago that they're unlikeyl to ever get the funding to hire people to properly censor everything. Bah.

That is, if the local shops are even going to pay attention. They're toob usy stocking up the COMING SOON shelves with blood-splattered copies of Dragon Age (where's AP? :p).

AP isn't coming out until 2010.

Ah, right, did Australia ban Risen outright?

Yes. And if you look at the picture I posted, there's a shot of the inventory. The fifth row down, the second item is weed that you can smoke. Doing so gives you +23 XP. So they're rewarding you for smoking weed. You also get XP for sex. That's why they banned it.

As I understand it, it comes up with the dialogue I listed, then you get a dialogue option which decides whether you want the gold or not. If so, pick the other option from the one you have been to balance the transaction.

I could be completely wrong (..I don't have the game), but I saw someone else complaining about the same thing and that was the gist of the solution.

The only option is trade/don't trade.

post-1288-1254724641_thumb.jpg

If you say 'Yes' then you get 5 gold. If you say 'No' then it cancels the transaction.

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Just to be sure, I'll do to a trader, sell them a single item and see if your gold doesn't increase.

Damnit, it worked :p

So uh.. yeah.. Traders have infinite amounts of gold and I made the first 25 hours or so of my game needlessly difficult.. because I enjoy a challenge! Yeah, that's it.

Nothing to see here, folks, move along!

I almost wish the trading system had been the way mkreku thought it was at first. That would've added a nice challenge, hehe.

I really suck at this game (just like I suck at the Gothics) but I'm having a lot of fun. I really like how the factions were done. It's great how the first NPCs you encounter really makes you think that the Order are practically evil bastards, but if you take the time you discover that both factions have their good and bad sides. And so I find myself training as a Mage in the Order Monastery.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

You guys are close to convincing me to buy the game.

*balances on the edge of the indecision fence*

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

That's it, need this game.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I don't like the combat.

I find it strange that NPCs call the PC a pretty boy when his face has to be one of the most unattractive in the game.

There's apparently only one model for women.

I don't like the combat.

I find it strange that NPCs call the PC a pretty boy when his face has to be one of the most unattractive in the game.

There's apparently only one model for women.

Yeah, but considering the size of the dev team, I can forgive the recycling of models.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!