Piranha Bytes RPG teaser site

Morgoth

Oblivion combat could be tough at higher levels. Unless you metagamed and power-leveled your character, once you started Clannfears and stuff, it was pretty easy to get killed especially if facing multiple opponents.

One of Oblivion's problems was the difference in combat difficulty between metagamed powerleveled characters that got +5 to three stats at each level up and had max weapon skills at level 2 and just regular characters played without metagaming.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

After Chapter 2, stonger animals respawn all over the island. Of course, I still have the hunter armor I did in Chapter 1, and I'm back to using my sharp sword, which I got at level 5, as my sharp bastard doesn't block anything.

The guy who I wanted to teach me Open Locks 3 will no longer talk to me, so I need to find a different teacher. Annoying.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

After Chapter 2, stonger animals respawn all over the island. Of course, I still have the hunter armor I did in Chapter 1, and I'm back to using my sharp sword, which I got at level 5, as my sharp bastard doesn't block anything.

The guy who I wanted to teach me Open Locks 3 will no longer talk to me, so I need to find a different teacher. Annoying.

So do you think it is a worthwhile game?

Do you like it more or less than say Oblivion and/or Morrowind?

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I found the level 3 (max level) picklock trainer, trained, and then ran to the nearest chest that I hadn't been able to open. When I click on it, the PC says, "I'll have to pick this or find the key." >_<

So do you think it is a worthwhile game?

Do you like it more or less than say Oblivion and/or Morrowind?

Even though it's an open-world exploration game, it's far smaller than either of them. It feels linear to me, more like the Witcher than either of those games; it

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Oblivion combat could be tough at higher levels. Unless you metagamed and power-leveled your character, once you started Clannfears and stuff, it was pretty easy to get killed especially if facing multiple opponents.

As a mage, it's the reverse... the game is only tough at lower levels. At high levels everything save liches gets one-shotted after throwing a custom-made weakness & damage spells.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Okay.. traps. How do I not get myself killed by giant spikes that spring out of the ground?

There's lots of hidden stuff, try clicking on things.

Minor spoiler:

Look around on nearby walls. Often there are these metal rings that you can pull to disable the traps.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

One of Oblivion's problems was the difference in combat difficulty between metagamed powerleveled characters that got +5 to three stats at each level up and had max weapon skills at level 2 and just regular characters played without metagaming.

Hence the difficulty slider.

Oblivion was actually tough at mid-level, after about level 20 you could plough through anything. Shivering Isles was a little different, as it was designed to be played at higher level.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

As a mage, it's the reverse... the game is only tough at lower levels. At high levels everything save liches gets one-shotted after throwing a custom-made weakness & damage spells.

Ah, ok, I never played a mage-type character. I spent most of my play time as a dark elf thief and a nord fighter.

Right. Use the difficulty slider to correct a totally flawed and unbalanced character development system. No thanks.

I just play all my games on default difficulty. SO any comments on a games diffciulty can be read with that in mind.

Oblivion was actually tough at mid-level, after about level 20 you could plough through anything. Shivering Isles was a little different, as it was designed to be played at higher level.

That's what I was talking about. The games leveled lists max out at level 22-23, so I never played past that. Levels 10+ is higher levels for me.

Edited by Slowtrain

Right. Use the difficulty slider to correct a totally flawed and unbalanced character development system. No thanks.

I just play all my games on default difficulty. SO any comments on a games diffciulty can be read with that in mind.

It's unfair to say the character development system is totally flawed because power gamers exploit it. It's there if you consider that fun, but you don't have to use the exploits.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Maybe I'll wait and see how your game turns out in the end before I decide whether to buy it now or later.

Too many games start out great but wear out quickly.

Well, I am in chapter 3 now and I understand why people think it's linear.. it's by necessity. It's hard to explain without spoiling the game.

I'm still having fun though, even though there's been a decline in the amount of new quests that pop up. But I love how when I advance in ranks within the bandits, everyone in the bandit's camp has something new to say about it. I'm a captain now. Some people weren't too happy about that..

Oh, and Maria, I was pretty confused about those unpickable chests too at first. But you'll (probably) find out why they are like that eventually!

Major spoiler:

When you do the Patty quest line (Patty is the tavern keeper in Harbour Town), you will find out that she's searching for her father and those treasure chests are part of that quest. She will give you a key to them later.

I'm a bit further into the game now, and I don't think it's quite as good as Chapter 1. But that is due to my own tastes in games as well. I think Risen does its exploration and all that well, but it is something that I tend to lose interest in fairly quickly. I think the best part of the game was undoubtedly choosing what side to aid in the town, doing the quests there etc. And training as a mage for the Order was also very good.

As mkreku says, the quest content kinda dry up a bit, which is a shame because I *really* enjoyed the conflicts between the factions and that the game gave you the choice on how to handle it and rewarded you with unique content such as the Mage training.

I am still having fun though.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

The Codex is up in arms about how the game is awesome in Chapter 1, but then gets progressively more linear and more hack and slash until you're just sitting there fighting waves of monsters in the end. Luckily, Ch1 seems to take up something like 50% of the game time.

Hmm.

It's unfair to say the character development system is totally flawed because power gamers exploit it. It's there if you consider that fun, but you don't have to use the exploits.

Not to derail the thread into Oblivion talk, but I'll just quickly respond by saying while I agree with what you are saying, it feels to me like Oblivion was balanced witht the expectation that people would metagame and powerlevel their characters. For those that don't the game is considerably more difficult.

I have no problem with powergamers, but I don't feel that games should be balanced FOR them.

Back to a Risen question:

Does Risen have Bethesda-style level scaling (which I dislike)? How does the game populate its world with challenge and reward? Are things always scaled to your pc level?

Does Risen have Bethesda-style level scaling (which I dislike)? How does the game populate its world with challenge and reward? Are things always scaled to your pc level?

Risen has no scaling and no restrictions, so it's perfectly possible to run into an ogre or a ashbeast at level 1. I am level 22+ and two or three hits from one of those monsters still kill me.

But luckily those monsters are pretty rare and well hidden. You're not very likely to run into them as a level 1. You might hear them though (there's an ashbeast hiding on a plateau above the eastern entrance to Harbour town).

I levitated across a cliff (had to use two scrolls) to be rewarded with a 'fine sword,' which was better than the sharp sword I'd made. This is great, as I'd been using the sharp sword for the last 5 levels (was level 12). Five minutes later, I encountered a pack of 6 wolves and 3 black wolves, killed them, leveled up, and now am using my the evil bastard sword, which is much more powerful.

Back to a Risen question:

Does Risen have Bethesda-style level scaling (which I dislike)?

No.

How does the game populate its world with challenge and reward?

You die a great deal. When you level up, you die a bit less.

I was a bit miffed with my weapons too.

Medium spoiler:

Last night I finally found the last part of the Souldrinker blade, forged it together and was happy as I had trained my sword skills high enough to be able to use this two-handed sword in one hand (with a shield!). Then five minutes later I find a Titan sword on an enemy I was forced to fight and it was slightly better. That means I spent probably ten hours searching for the sword parts and five minutes using it when I finally was able to make it.

Luckily I found another small quest that let me forge an Obsidian two handed sword that's even better. Unfortunately I don't have the strength to wield it.. yet.

One of the beautiful parts of an 'open world' game, I guess.

I pickpocketed the shield off the town guard. Do you know when/where I'll find a better one?

Also, when did you start beating ashbeasts?

One of the beautiful parts of an 'open world' game, I guess.

I pickpocketed the shield off the town guard. Do you know when/where I'll find a better one?

Also, when did you start beating ashbeasts?

Yes, I know of a better shield.

Medium spoiler:

If you find one of the triplets in the forest and do his Vassal ring quest, it will eventually lead to a tomb with a Lord of some sort in it. In there, you'll find a Rune shield. I don't remember if it was hidden or not though.

About the ashbeasts.. I've actually never beaten one :p

Except once.

Minor spoiler:

When I had Dork the ogre with me (yes, that's his name!)

Okay, I've finished the pirate treasure quest. Got myself a swanky new shield. (I just stumbled upon the one you mentioned) Am wielding the sharp bastard sword now. I finally got my alchemy to 3 so I made myself a bunch of health/+str potions.

I'm going to finish all my other quests then do that one quest that I hear triggers an event that makes the island more hack-n-slashy.

Still a hunter.

Finally make 'fighter.' Only have 10 of the teleport stones, and that's irritating. Hit Chapter 3, got seperated from my group, and am now lost deep within the complex. Dying lots.

On the other hand, I can wield a two handed blade with one hand and am using the bezerker sword that does 80 damage.

Started Chapter two today, I've got to say the first chapter was brilliant, but I have to ask those who went bandit, was there someone in the bandit camp that bought hunting trophies/smith swords at a reasonable price?

Because in Harbour town there wasn't and that was a major reason I went down the order mage path. I always liked the fact you could sell furs to one paticular NPC in Gothic 2 and his reaction when your brought him the skin of a black ogre. Something else that I've found disappointing is the lack of armor in Risen, it seems it's gone down the rank = armor path again(which I don't mind) but has not put any other decent armor in the game(so far).

Other things of note:

Very good graphics

Fantastic lighting (as good as Stalker IMO)

Great side quests

Good combat

Nice atmosphere

NO BUGS!!! :p

Runs very well

-----------------------

Average - Poor VO

Average story (so far)

Poor models

Uninteresting characters

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Anyone (anyone in Canada, more specifically) seen an actual boxed copy of this game in a store somewhere?

Anyone know if there's supposed to be one?