Euro 2008

Hildegard

http://www.euro2008.uefa.com/

So the European Cup 2008 begins tomorrow...can't wait! :sorcerer:

I hope my country makes through the group, at first I was sure we would, but now when our main attacker is injured I'm not so sure any more :ermm: But nevertheless kicking England out of the Euro qualifiers was the sweetest victory ever :*

Who's your favorite? :)

I hate this soccer party already. There are some games in our city, while I have to write exams. That means getting up an hour early and hope to get to the examn in time with all the drunk and aggressive fans around, then writing the examn wearing earplugs to keep the noise of the gas-honks away, after the examns trying to find a supermarket that isn't overrun by beer-and-sausage-buyers... Ah, nightmare :sorcerer:

Well, to answer the question "Who's your favourite?" I'd say that one of the traditionally good teams has a chance again. Italy?

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

As World Champions I guess Italy has to be the most likely winner. I'd quite like Spain to win - fellow chronic underachievers and all that. England didn't deserve to be there, but Scotland did - I'm still bitter over that.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Guest Accept

I've learned to not have my hopes that high when it comes to Euro and WC. And Zlatan Ibrahimovics damaged knee just makes it more "MEH" and ":sad:".

We do have Henrik Larsson back though, but I mean... he's 36, for christs sake! :sad:

Since Finland always manage to fail to qualify for any major football event, i've grown accustomed to put my support on other countries. So, any other country than Italy, what a bunch of overpriced primadonnas who care more about their hairstyle than the game....*mumble* *mumble*

Seriously, i think that Germany should take it this time.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I've elected to support Poland.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I don't think Italy quite has it to complete the championship double (or maybe I just hope they don't.) :shifty:

Watching the first game right now between Switzerland and the Czechs, not bad so far, Vehrami with a nice semi-Cruyff turn.

I'm a fan of France/Holland, but tipping Germany for the trophy.

I've elected to support Poland.

Figures :shifty:

Well, as you so gleefully recall, my nation can't organise the proverbial in a brewery.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I'm definately pro-Holland because... well, this is the only thing worth for me to feel patriotic about anyway. Our country sucks at just about everything, but at least here I can pretend I'm proud of my country.

They're going to suck it down, though. In the same pool as Italy and France? :shifty:

Vaclav Sverkos with a nice, if sketchy, finish and the Czechs are ahead with only ten minutes to go.

Switzerland made some good forays throughout the game, but didn't have enough to...

Oh wow, just as I say that, forces a great save from Cech with a volley, then the follow-up hits the bar!

I'm definately pro-Holland because... well, this is the only thing worth for me to feel patriotic about anyway. Our country sucks at just about everything, but at least here I can pretend I'm proud of my country.

They're going to suck it down, though. In the same pool as Italy and France? :lol:

Well Italy isn't what it was in 2006 and France just sucks, you're going to quarterfinals :shifty:

Well, the game between Switzerland and the Czech Republic was pretty awfully played. The Czechs don't have a proper playmaker due to the absence of Rosicky, and Switzerland, despite playing earnestly, have no real quality in their team.

As for Portugal-Turkey, Portugal played surprisingly well, given their recent form and Scolari's usual tactical ineptitude. Turkey, conversely was surprisingly awful. I really thought they had a bit more verve in their game. The referee was fairly incompetent throughout the game, and two of Turkey's players should have gotten red cards. The disallowed goal was the right call, however.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Congrats Portugal for well earned victory :shifty:

Turkey was incredibly lucky

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Ronaldo, Schmonaldo.

You're still here? ;)

Anyways, Portugal really impressed me tonight, and even without Ronaldo scoring!

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I don't understand why people say Portugal is all about Ronaldo. Our only weaknesses are the strikers and the goalkeeper. I defy anyone to find a national team with as much depth in midfield, the wings and in central defence. Also, on the right, Bosingwa has been looking literally unbeatable at the back, and very impressive coming forward.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I defy anyone to find a national team with as much depth in midfield, the wings and in central defence.

Spain arguably has a superior midfield, but only if Aragones learns to stick with a real central midfield. Xavi, Fabregas, Iniesta, whoever, choose one playmaker and build the midfield around him, not stick everyone in there in a 2006-Brazil / 21st Century England mess. But that's no skin off Portuguese backs, because I think in terms of quality the Spanish midfield is just unbelievable.

Certainly, Ronaldo is happily described by Korean football fans as, roughly translated, the slaughterer of meek sheep - when the defence is poor enough to leave him gaps to run and stand off him he can do amazing things better than anybody else, but when they are tactically astute and have defenders skilled enough to stick to him like glue, he is no more than your average good winger. He proved that again against Turkey - and if a Turkish defender can neutralise him, well. He's still an absolute asset to any team, but like in anything these days, believe the hype at your own peril.

Germany - Poland today, and Croatia - Austria. The latter hsould be fun actually, hopefully we get to see a lot of goals (:)).