Euro 2008

Hildegard

It is actually amazing on how Van Basten can create such an effective team without resorting to the big names. Bravo!

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Holland will be eliminated by Italy in the semis. 1-0

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I kept switching between Romaina-Holland and Italy-France

Great games. I'm now officially completely in Holland camp.

GO GO HOLLAND

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Guest The Architect

And the winning goal will be from a penalty.

I tipped Romania because I thought the Dutch would let them win to keep Italy and France out of the knock-out phases but then that was a stupid thing to think since the Dutch already owned both teams so why would they fear them for?

...I've never heard of them :grin:

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

^Because you suck. ;)

Heja Sverige!!

I saw this coming from a mile away.

Heja Sverige!!

Fantastic first half ;)

Here's hoping for Portugal emerges victorious ;)

Portugal's defense is really dropping the ball. Which with these players is just unforgivable. And some kind of coaching feat.

I haven't seen Scolari's Portugal play with a properly organized defense yet. And I'm not just talking about Euro 2008.

Heja Sverige!!

Aaaand it takes just 2 minutes after half-time for Ronaldo to dive and cry again.

Seriously, look at him. Lies there for 2 seconds to see whether he's getting anything, *then* scrunches his face up and starts rolling around. It's just impossible not to hate the abomination.

While Scolari is a good leader of men, he really is a crap coach.

He singlehandedly snatched defeat from the jaws of victory at Euro 2004, didn't manage to get Portugal to play one single decent game in the 2006 World Cup, despite playing against such illustrious opponents as Iran or even freaking Angola, and couldn't get a defense composed of Bosingwa, Pepe, Ricardo Carvalho, and Paulo Ferreira to even defend competently. Chelsea is going to be a laughing stock next season.

I yearn for the day when Mourinho will coach Portugal.

Heja Sverige!!

Agreed. And now with Deco and (Pepe?) going away, it's not going to get easier - they really need a scorer of goals like Germany's had in Podolski this tournament.

Going away? They're not going anywhere.

I don't think the lack of a true goalscorer should really be such a big problem for Portugal. With the type of speedy, massively skilled attackers we've always had, Portugal should, in theory, be able to score more goals than it actually does. A Thierry Henry isn't necessary to score sitters now is it? Scolari's Portugal, even at its best, always had a problem with creating speed in its attacking movement. I mean, Deco's long range passing was great, but at Bar

Heja Sverige!!

Isn't Deco retiring from international football? I don't know where I got Pepe from, though.

And in theory, you are right, but sometimes you find that your skillful, speedy attack isn't quite working out for whatever reason (good solid defence, injuries, bad pitch, bad weather, bad ref), and you need someone who can take half a chance and stick it in the net, or create something out of nothing. Portugal lacked that today because for whatever eason, their attack was a lot less imaginative and sterile than normal. I think they were lucky to get even 2, as Germany really went to sleep for the first (but then, Germany was 'lucky' with the third, too.)

Isn't Deco retiring from international football? I don't know where I got Pepe from, though.

And in theory, you are right, but sometimes you find that your skillful, speedy attack isn't quite working out for whatever reason (good solid defence, injuries, bad pitch, bad weather, bad ref), and you need someone who can take half a chance and stick it in the net, or create something out of nothing. Portugal lacked that today because for whatever eason, their attack was a lot less imaginative and sterile than normal. I think they were lucky to get even 2, as Germany really went to sleep for the first (but then, Germany was 'lucky' with the third, too.)

Not that I know of. He's only 30.

But I'm not talking about just one game. It seems like every game they play Portugal performs as if it needs a first class goal scorer, and that shouldn't happen. Not every single game. Even against lesser teams during qualifying Portugal struggled with the goal scoring, and not because of the lack of a pure forward, but rather from a difficulty in creating enough chances, which, with these players is just unacceptable.

Also, while Nuno Gomes was never a particularly good player, he seems to come up with the goods at major tournaments, and I think he did that again at Euro 2008 even if he just scored one goal. He was an essential part of a few of the goals Portugal scored and generally was one of the better attackers in Portugal's campaign. So, if you ask me a lack of a true goalscorer was one of Portugal's lesser weaknesses. Dodgy defending, and a mediocre goalie were the real causes of Portugal's early exit.

Heja Sverige!!

OH **** IT ALL

**** YOU DAMN SCHWEINHUNDS, **** YOU

;)

I really don't get Portugal....they entered the game and didn't play at all until the 35th minute allowing the Germans to play how they want....did Scolari analyze them at all? Germany in sports and war is the same, it's a machine with a define strategy, work and single minded way of thinking. If you're frighten of them and allow them to act in a such way you're finished...German players are not footballers at all, they're hardworking workers who are depending on running, hard play and the mentality I've mentioned. If you take the fearless approach of imposing your own gameplay based on quality and technique that German players don't have at all, those swines will be lost, uneffective and look like a clumsy bully on the pitch. Because when it comes to improvisation, creativity and current adaption, they don't have those virtues at all and never had them.

Victory against the Germany is won in the heads of their opponents more then on the pitch, Portugal failed to do so.

Edited by Hildegard