Iran to Execute Those Who Leave Islam

Humodour

Nope, Hinduism, Buddhism and Christianity have no such doctrine for apostasy....

I am not sure about the fist two, but I do know that apostasy is often sighted as the one 'unforgivable sin" by Christian religions. :o

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Nope, Hinduism, Buddhism and Christianity have no such doctrine for apostasy....

I am not sure about the fist two, but I do know that apostasy is often sighted as the one 'unforgivable sin" by Christian religions. :o

Yeah, I agree a lot of religious folks take that stance, but there is no biblical precedent for it. Those are just hyprocrites who believe they know best and it is their job to judge others.

Thread pruned a bit. Racism is not a requirement for forum membership.

You really are dense aren't you. Is situational awareness a requirement for moderation ?

No, common decency is. If you have a problem, I suggest using the PM system.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

What about transvestites? Or heterosexual couples who only want to practice sodomy? Or is it just one of those "Western problems?" Iran has a long way to go in order to developed itself socially. I think that this is just the state using religion as a tool of power to control those who aren't in power.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

The bible says we should stone heretics, this is the same thing, accept they actually do it. They have good reason if the Koran is true and apparently they do believe the Koran is gods Divine Command. I think the big question is, should the EU step in further? Also how far willl Iran go to execute and punish heretics for apostasy? Should the EU let this moral conundrum slip?

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

...EU?

Iran isn't in europe silly o:)

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

The bible says we should stone heretics
Yes, this is something I often hear. But is is actually true? My knowledge of religion is patently limited, so can anyone provide verbatim quotes from the Bible/Quran that actually encourage physical violence against "heretics"? Also, interpretation and context are important.

At any rate, what does the Bible have to do with this, at all? It's not Christians that are executing homosexuals in Iran.

I think the big question is, should the EU step in further? Also how far willl Iran go to execute and punish heretics for apostasy? Should the EU let this moral conundrum slip?
The same EU which failed to get their act together regarding the Muhammad cartoons fiasco, you mean?

Lol...

Edited by random n00b

I am sure that if the government backed it there would be some groups of Christians who would love to kill homosexuals. Phelps and his Westboro crew come to mind.

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

And I'm sure that if admin backed it, there would be some folks that would love to see you banned.

Fortunately, we don't allow that kind of behavior anymore, now do we?

ahahahahahaha, owned :biggrin:

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

You really are dense aren't you. Is situational awareness a requirement for moderation ?

Huh? I'm sorry, I didn't catch that...

EDIT: I don't want to see any form of persecution on these fora. It's against the rules, and it's beneath the calibre of people present. Let's focus on the debate, not the debaters.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Huh? I'm sorry, I didn't catch that...

EDIT: I don't want to see any form of persecution on these fora. It's against the rules, and it's beneath the calibre of people present. Let's focus on the debate, not the debaters.

some other forums solved such problems with simply banning the topics 'religion', 'racism', and 'politics' :)

Edited by Jorian Drake

IB1OsQq.png

Don't even mention it Jorian!

There is always a hope to walk that balance of open dialogue with an expectation of civility and respect. The lines and the context sometimes get blurred. So, we do the best we can, both as members of this community and those who also choose to nurture the community here. Remember the civility and respect part - with those two things in place, most conversations - even the most contentious - can foster great dialogue ... otherwise then you end up with fora that Jorian has hinted at ... gratefully that is not what we have here ... again that general adherence to civility and respect help ensure that is in fact the case ...

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

some other forums solved such problems with simply banning the topics 'religion', 'racism', and 'politics' :closed:

Some other forums are also boring. :shifty:

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

I'm going to clarify my earlier post, lest Very Bad Things Indeed happen from a misunderstanding. What with mods threatening crackdown and all...

The jab at Hades was more of an example to point out the irrelevance of official Christian dogma and past actions when discussing instances of religious fundamentalism, than an opportunistic bitchslap. Yes, those Westboro nuts and their "God hates ****" campaign is very much comparable to Iranian religious leaders advocating execution of homosexuals. The crucial difference, I think, lies in the fact that such policies are no longer proposed seriously (let alone implemented) in the West, and any unofficial attempts at enacting this kind of bigotry is curbed quickly and decisively by the authority. Executing homosexuals is as unacceptable as depriving people of their right to have an opinion and voice it, something that's simply unthinkable today. That is the parallelism I was trying to establish with my previous comment.

Mr. Phelps and his crew are "good Christians", in the same measure a serial child rapist/killer is a "respectable citizen".

@DN & Kyle: Are you sure you can't do that by PM?

Edited by random n00b

Well, I never said they were "good" Christians, just part of the Christian community. :closed:

Also it is a parallelism that I thought obvious and well made. Maybe, one day, Iran and the rest of the Middle East will join the West in the 21st century.

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

I was going to post the comment that there are many ME countries (and Persian countries) that use Sharia law as a basis for their judicial system, including but not limited to Saudi Arabia... our dear ally. I personally deplore it; however, no country has the right to force another country to evolve several centuries in a single instant, much as our compassion (and my personal desire for gender equality) would demand it.

Then I saw it turned into a "yeah, but XXX religion used to do it too" thread. So I decided against it. ;)