Arcania: A Gothic Tale

A few new screens: http://worthplaying.com/article/2010/8/23/news/76397/images/

It's all very pretty, but for some reason it doesn't remind me of Gothic. One of these days I'm going to have to figure out exactly what it is about the Gothic games that give them that unmistakeable Gothic look & feel. I still get more of a Two Worlds vibe from this game.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

It's all very pretty, but for some reason it doesn't remind me of Gothic. One of these days I'm going to have to figure out exactly what it is about the Gothic games that give them that unmistakeable Gothic look & feel. I still get more of a Two Worlds vibe from this game.

Since I haven't played any, this is only random speculation based on numerous screenshots of them all...but the older games seem a lot browner, even the forests...the new ones a lot greener, with all the improved foliage textures. Plus the mentioned shiny/less blocky of course.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Desslock's post at QT3

O.k., I've been messing around a bit with Gothic 4 (PC) and this seems to be the best thread to post this in:

-- be warned: the PC system requirements that are circulating around the web, including on the wiki page, are badly understated -- the is a real hog, especially on in terms of CPU .

-- Here are the revised system specs (note that a Core2Duo CPU isn't sufficient, and 3 GB RAM is also required to "comfortably play the game." The video card requirements are more modest and should raise less issues:

Processor Min: Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4Ghz, AMD Phenom X4 2.2Ghz (or Tri-core like AMD Phenom X3)

Ram Min: 3GB

Video Card for minimum playability: Geforce 8800 GTX / ATI HD 2600 Pro

Video Card for best results: Geforce 280 GTX / ATI HD 4800 or higher

I will say the game is pretty - better looking than Risen. But I'm surprised the system requirements are so high, especially since it's also being released on consoles, so I thought I should warn early adopters to ensure they don't get burned if they don't have a sufficiently powerful PC.

The way I see it is this: Gothic 4 won't sell enough, NoGood will announce insolvency in the following months. Nobody of course will help them out (like Koch media did in the past), so they are goners and all their properties will be sold. Koch Media/Deep Silver will snatch the Gothic license and publish a new Gothic game with Piranha Bytes. And everything will be fine again. :lol:

I wouldn't mind PB sticking with the Risen franchise and fleshing that out, actually.

Seconded, I hear they are working on Risen 2. I'm not sure if these financial problems will affect that.

Yeah, recently confirmed.

...maybe if Jowood dissolves... Obsidian will do a Gothic V? :shifty:

Sorry, I couldn't resist the joke.

Gothic is not JoWood's they just have a licence to use it for Gothic 4 that PB/P13 could not rescind. Hence the ArcaniA part, which JoWood can at least theoretically continue to use.

Word Mark GOTHIC [..]

Owner (REGISTRANT) PIRANHA BYTES SOFTWARE GMBH CORPORATION FED REP GERMANY Marthastrasse 2A 44791 Bochum FED REP GERMANY

(LAST LISTED OWNER) PLUTO 13 GMBH CORPORATION FED REP GERMANY RUHRALLEE 63 ESSEN FED REP GERMANY 45138 [..]

Word Mark ARCANIA [..]

Owner (REGISTRANT) JoWood Productions Software AG ag AUSTRIA Pyhrnstrasse 40 Liezen AUSTRIA A8940 [..]

Yikes, what a disappointment. I'm a real Gothic fangirl, and have been waiting for this game for eons. No way will my machine handle those requirements, and to upgrade that much would mean a brand new computer from the ground up.

Bah. :)

Yikes, what a disappointment. I'm a real Gothic fangirl, and have been waiting for this game for eons. No way will my machine handle those requirements, and to upgrade that much would mean a brand new computer from the ground up.

Bah. o:)

Did you play Risen?

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Bah. :ermm:

Did you play Risen?

Just the online demo. Never bought the game.

My core 2 duo e6850 cries. But I can't complain; it's lasted longer than any other processor I've ever had.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I'm really out of date on tech specs now (for, what, the last 8 years?), so it's hard for me to tell if I can even handle it. I think I can, actually.

Kind of sad my laptop's already at the point of barely making it past the requirements, though. It is a laptop but it's only, what, 2 years old...

That makes a little more sense, though may be spin, of course.

One would think that Crytek's experience with Crysis would have developers shying away from any system breaking hardware requirements.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

A quick look at a few of Arcania's quests, with English voice actors:

http://www.arcania-game.com/?lang=en&ID=1897

The main character sounds good, but the other characters vary wildly in quality. Still better than Two Worlds, and I survived that.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!