NHL

I think the real question surrounding Toews leadership is whether or not the veterans will be on board and listen to the youngster. Being a captain in junior is not quite the same as being one at the NHL level, methinks.

Agreed. There are more veteran players on the team like Robert Lang or Brent Seabrook who have been around the team longer and probably know the guys in the dressing room better. The reason I'd never advocate for someone like that to be captain is because you never know if the older players will even listen or care when he speaks.

Don't you think the coach would be aware of that sort of situation? I'd think he'd notice if the so called veterans would respect a 'rookie captain'. Unless youa re saying the Chicago coach is a moron.... Hmmm..

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

because age is not the same as experience

I am guessing that the two are fairly correlated though. Those with more age have accumulated more experience, simply because they have been around longer to do so.

Having said that, I think fans make too big of a deal over who has the 'C' on the sweater. Leaders lead regardless.

I suppose I can agree with that. It's just odd because it seems like a rebuilding move for them, trying to start anew and while to some degree they are doing that, but next year should be a much better year for the Hawks. I guess they are grooming him to be the leader for many years to come. Odd though too because he missed, what, 27 games last year? He must have a heck of a presence in the locker room. Or just lead by example, probably one of the same reasons that Ovechkin wears an A for the Caps. Because he plays hard night in and night out.

I disagree actually. I don't think he's capable enough in the language or been in the league long enough to be the captain of a team. Plus there are other leaders in the locker room that the team rallies around. That being said, I can certainly see where you're coming from because he's an amazing player.

Edited by wesley2

C or not, Washington is Ovechkin's team. He leads they follow. Where he goes they go. He's pretty much the captain anyways so might as well make it official.

L0L If he was doing that, we'd have heard of it by now considering how intrusive the media is in lockerroom nowadays. Lockerrom secrets don't stay secrets long.

And, oh, btw, you just desrcibed Mark Messier's way of captaincy not to mention other top line captains (thoguh sissy fit is not what they're usuall called).

Edited by Volourn

For all any of us know Ovechkin could be throwing hissy fits in the locker room about his teammates sucking, which, you know, wouldn't make him a good captain.

Well, I don't think so but it's certainly possible and I wouldn't put it by many of the star players in the league. I think it speaks a lot to his character that after his first year they wanted to give him the C and he turned it down and said he didn't want to be anything more than an Assistant because he wasn't the true leader. That takes some cahones!

• 3 weeks later...

Congrats to Cammi Granato for being the first woman in the Hockey hall of fame. Women's hockey has grown tremendously over the years and she has been an excellent ambassador for it. Hopefully we'll see more women in the years to come.

TSN is showing seventy games this year. Plus CBC is going to be showing less Leaf games on Saturday nights. Yay!

Maybe for you people who are lucky enough to live outside of Leaf nation. I'm stuck right on the edge of TSN's Leafs territory so I'll probably still get stuck with a Leafs game every week. :biggrin:

• 3 weeks later...
McCabe Traded. McCabe was done in Toronto. He'd gone the way of Larry Murphy in the eyes of the fans. This is a good deal for the Leafs, provided Van Ryn stays healthy. Good deal for the Panthers? Time will tell...

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

Good trade? they just got worse on the ice where it actually matters. McCabe is a good defenseman who just happened to play on a very crappy team. Panthers won this deal hands down unless Toronto gets lucky. Just another betrayal of teams and 'fans' backstabbing a player yet people wonder why players have no or little problem leaving when it suits them.

Makes me smile even more that Pronger won a cup with Anaheim, and that Sundin laughed at Toronto's attempt to trade him last season. McCabe should ahve told the Leafs to bite them, and to honour the contract they willingly signed. Instead, he allows himself to get bullied. What a weak tool.

How can you call him a weak tool, yet at the same time say the Panthers won the deal hands down? This is a guy who's numbers steadily declined since he signed the fat contract, whose defensive play got worse, and who will never be forgiven for scoring into his own net last season. The Leafs were at the point of paying him to stay home. I'm not saying McCabe won't suddenly regain his form and become a superstar again. God knows enough former Leafs have done that already. I'm just saying McCabe's time was over in Toronto. Kudos to him for allowing a situation that doesn't really hurt either side. But getting a good defenseman in return makes this a good move for the Leafs.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

"This is a guy who's numbers steadily declined since he signed the fat contract, whose defensive play got worse, and who will never be forgiven for scoring into his own net last season."

He's still a top 2-3 defensemen on most teams. The entire team (other than Sundin and Kaberle) were not so good. The fact that everyone tries to make him the scapegoat is ridiculous. His defensive play was fine, and the decreasing numbers are also a sign of the team's lack of quality upfront. If Toronto wasted any money it was Blake who got WORSE in Toronto after scoring 40 goals on Long Island of all places. L0L

And, oh, the Leafs may have got a 'good' defenseman (yeah, right); but they lost a better one.

The Pantehrs got the better deal because they got the better player. He's a weak tool 'cause he got bullied into waiving his no trade clause (which he earned) through not so subtle threats and intimidation (ie.Leafs were going to pay him to stay home which would ahve made their team worse).

If I were him, I'd have called their bluff. They would have made their team even worse by having their second best defenseman sitting at home yet still paying him. L0L

His defensive play was fine...

No, it really wasn't. It NEVER was. He used to have an offensive upside, but last season he lost that too and became a defensive liability only. There are lots of examples of defensemen that have such an offensive impact on the game that they're allowed to play even though their defensive capabilities are shaky at best. But McCabe could not back that up with offense anymore and therefore he's being traded.

He's not a bad player, but he's wrong for the Leafs at this point in time. I am sure he'll do well in Florida though.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

My man Bobby Lang traded to the Habs! :D :D :D :D

The looser, more offensive based Eastern Conference style of play is just what Langer needs to get going again. Plus he can line up with Kovalev again. Memories of 2003-2004 when Lang challenged for the scoring title until his injury? Probably not but hope so! :)

• 2 weeks later...