GTA IV gets a perfect 10 at IGN

Meshugger

Believe, it will come true.

Not only the final verdict was a "10", but it manages to do the same within every category (Presentation, Graphics, Sound, Gameplay, Lasting Appeal).

Discuss o:)

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Thats the symbiosis between publisher and gaming mag right there. Ive played GTA4 and while its loads of fun and has a cool story, its not gods gift to man. I mean, its definently the best GTA so far and one of the best three games to come out this year but its not a perfect 10.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

No such thing as a ten.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Thats the symbiosis between publisher and gaming mag right there. Ive played GTA4 and while its loads of fun and has a cool story, its not gods gift to man. I mean, its definently the best GTA so far and one of the best three games to come out this year but its not a perfect 10.

I assume that you work for a gaming mag, since you claimed that you've already played it. For someone who actually haven't managed/bothered to finish a single GTA-game since GTA2 came out (2D, yay!), are there any features beside of multiplayer, that would be of any interest?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Yay, another game which glorifies crime and which will become readily available to ten year olds.

I'm hardly a censorious person, but GTA troubles me.

Agreed, and the fact that so many critics praise it, especially in the way IGN has... that's contemptible.

I think game forums like this one might be the only source left for objective game opinions. When was the last time IGN said a game sucked?

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

There is no such thing as a perfect game.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

I don't see the big deal. The last 3 GTA's have been top-notch games. I have no problem with a reviewer giving them perfect scores, and I'm not surprised that GTA4 got it. People act like a 10 is somehow sacred and should only be given to a game that creates everlasting world peace or cures cancer. It's a game, and it's one that this reviewer found no flaws in.

All a ten means is that a game is top notch within its genre. Folks read too much into that.

Why even have the number 10 then? If one of the top three games in a year can't get a 10, why don't we just say the scale is really out of 9.

Seriously, who cares?

Chances are they shelled out the big bucks to get a nice score. People daft enough to swallow arbitrary scores from people they don't know anything about deserve to be lied to.

Yay, another game which glorifies crime and which will become readily available to ten year olds.
That made me laugh.

I will be getting GTA4 on Tuesday. One Wednesday I'll post up my thoughts of the game.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

No, a 9 means top notch within its genre. You hand out a few 9's every year. You DON'T ever hand out a 10 unless the game is something timeless, near perfect. A 10 is something to strive for, not something to cheapen.

Same thing applies to marking essays.

No, a 9 means top notch within its genre. You hand out a few 9's every year. You DON'T ever hand out a 10 unless the game is something timeless, near perfect. A 10 is something to strive for, not something to cheapen.

Ok, as a teacher, that's absolutely ridiculous. Students and parents would lynch me if I had that mentality, and rightly so. If a student turns in a great essay with minimal errors, they get a perfect score. Again, why have the number 10 if it's never used?

A 10 doesn't mean a game is perfect -- it means a game is pushing boundaries, expanding a genre, and doing many things to a level so far above and beyond its competitors that they overshadows any flaws.

I don't see what's wrong with that.

9, 10, 7, 8, 100%, it means whatever we want it to mean. To the people complaining, the number given at the end of a review is obviously Serious Business. What does a "perfect score" mean, anyway? That the game is the best thing out at the time? That it's the best game ever? That it has no flaws? That it's flaws don't detract? Honestly I don't even care, because the score at the end of a review means nothing to me, the content of the review does. If I'm not even interested in the game in the first place, I'm hardly going to kick up a stink when some game I don't even care about gets a specific score.

Edited by Hell Kitty

Gaming press is corrupted and amateurish. Try to be serious film reviewer without writing skills and never ever seeing classics like Citizen Kane and see just how well you fare. In gaming you must be happy to see writer has at least basic knowledge of writing reviews and it's not rare for even that to be too much. And just how many ****s have no idea of old classics as previews for Fallout 3 has shown? Man, Fallout is barely over ten years old. Guess most of modern writers were just toddlers back then... :devil:

I think game forums like this one might be the only source left for objective game opinions. When was the last time IGN said a game sucked?

Yeah, there is still one magazine which hasn't sold itself out, has bunch of great reviewers who actually know how to write (both reviews AND columns) and has glorious past as one of the oldest gaming press magazines of the world. Now that even CGW is gone they're propably second oldest one around in the whole world. When did PC Gamer began?

How many mainstream gaming magazines give full in depth review of game like Eschalon? Nnirvi once wrote whole review as poem, heh

(not like they are perfect or all of their reviews are great but overall they are still the source for good games for me)

Too bad it has no use to you guys :(

edit; previews, not reviews

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Ok, as a teacher, that's absolutely ridiculous. Students and parents would lynch me if I had that mentality, and rightly so. If a student turns in a great essay with minimal errors, they get a perfect score. Again, why have the number 10 if it's never used?

I know plenty of teachers who'd disagree with you. Then again, they use a grading system that's got a margin of uncertainty less than 10% (i.e. out of 20 or 100).

You certainly can't just assign the maximum mark to the best student in the class. That makes the grading system relative, which is a very bad idea.

Edited by Krezack

seriously, what the hell is up with you guys? with the exception of Kaftan, no one here has played the damn game yet, but you're all making claims that it can't possibly be the best game ever and can't possibly earn a 10. it's all a little confusing to me, really. at least wait to play the game before you shoot down a reviewer's opinion.

I think game forums like this one might be the only source left for objective game opinions.

That's funny. Especially if you really had this forum in mind.

I will be getting GTA4 on Tuesday. One Wednesday I'll post up my thoughts of the game.

I'll get the game, and have my review ready that day.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

You certainly can't just assigned the maximum mark to the best student in the class. That makes the grading system relative, which is a very bad idea.

I don't know where I ever implied that. The problem here is you are creating an unrealistic expectation, whether it's for students or games. No matter what the total is, 10, 20, 100, or 1,000, there should be a way to achieve that score. It should be possible for someone in the class to get that grade, otherwise there is no reason for that grade to exist. You're just dangling a carrot in front of students. Eventually they will realize it's unachievable, and that typically has an adverse affect. They start aiming for the 8 or 9 because there is no chance of getting that ten.

I'm not saying you hand out 10's like crazy. You hand them out when you get a great paper. It doesn't need to be completely perfect because there will always be errors in essays. This isn't multiple choice.

I completely oppose any teacher that makes a grade virtually unachievable for students. I have a hard time believing that you really know a lot of teachers with this policy. Maybe at the college level, where professors really don't have much training in actual education, but I hope that's not happening at the primary and secondary levels.

Most 'Games Journalism' is a contradiction in terms. Pointlessly overpaid fanbois with ironic facial hair kidding themselves that they are actually writing for a living instead of performing a quasi-parasitical PR role for the industry.

sonsofgygax.JPG