Arrrrrrrrrhg

Humodour

How the hell does the fire alarm trigger the burglar alarm?

I remember when I put water on the pot on the stove for noodles, then came here to post. It was a religion debate or something so that took me about 30 minutes to post, and the cats suddenly go psycho out the door and smoke alarm is ringing

Basically, we still have the pot, but looking on its bottom is like looking at a cross-section of Venus, complete with rough terrain.

How the hell does the fire alarm trigger the burglar alarm?

Spreading panicky rumours?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Its worse when your neighbour is making chicken at 5 in the morning and the sensor in his apartment is connected to every alarm in the building.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Our smoke alarm is rigged up to our burglar alarm. In the case of the motion sensors activating (whilst the house is in vacant status), the police are called, while if the smoke alarm activates, the fire brigade is called.

Kaftan: Ouch man. :thumbsup:

One of the residential colleges near me was newly built. It was supposed to be the ANU's crown gem of residences. People paid big bucks for it. For the first year, every second day the fire alarm went off (often at 4am and such). I mean every second day. The fire brigade couldn't ignore any alarm, so they came every time. I believe it cost the residence $1000 each time.

hehe, i was trying to get in to our "satellite" office once (when i worked for the startup in FL) and wasn't sure about the PIN for the alarm. sure enough, i set the damn thing off. it was not silent. not even close. so, with all the racket going on and no cell phone*, i had to call the security company to cancel the alarm. of course, they put me on hold immediately while summoning the police. so there i am sitting with the phone while the police show up with their hands on their guns right when the security company answers my call. they waited, i'm sure. i had to offer the phone to the lead officer (the one that really, really wanted to shoot me) to convince him i wasn't a burglar. of course, i'm just sitting there with my hands out (other than holding the phone), as well as my freaking badge and DL displayed openly on the table, all the while the alarm is screeching. i was not shot nor arrested, btw.

i hate alarms.

taks

*interestingly, i did not get my first cell phone till i moved to CO, and only then because my wife was pregnant. the startup that i worked for, even more interestingly, was a wireless internet company.

Edited by taks

comrade taks... just because.

Yeah, that's a good point. I've heard sad stories about people dying in fires as they sleep, so I at least know I am safe this way.

taks: yeah tell me about it. Not only is it a loud noise, but the pitch and volume are deliberately modulated to burst ear drums I swear; it's one of the most unbearable noises possible.

We've got the most sensitive smoke detector in our house set up in the kitchen. It goes off at the slightest provocation. Open the oven door for 5 seconds to check how dinner is doing? The alarm goes off. Fry up anything other than eggs on the stove? The alarm goes off. And it's not even a "Oh, that's smoking a little bit, I should probably do someth-oh god my ears!" It's "Hooray! Almost time to eat and the smoke detector hasn-oh god my ears!"

Our dog isn't very fond of the noise either.

I once lived in a dorm with a German guy. He was insane, I think. Every morning around 4m he got up and boiled sauerkraut without turning on the kitchen fans. So when everyone else got up at 7 or so the entire dorm smelled like a mixture of sulphur and poop. IT WAS HORRIBLE.

Not only that, he also went to bed at like 7 in the evening and complained with little notes if ANYONE moved a muscle after that. You can imagine how the place looked whenever we had a dorm party. Little notes everywhere..

Oh, and he ate lots and lots of candy and his teeth had probably rotted in his mouth. It looked disgusting.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

One of the residential colleges near me was newly built. It was supposed to be the ANU's crown gem of residences. People paid big bucks for it. For the first year, every second day the fire alarm went off (often at 4am and such). I mean every second day. The fire brigade couldn't ignore any alarm, so they came every time. I believe it cost the residence $1000 each time.

Thats exactly how our apartments are, and the alarms usd to be connected in the whole neighbourhood so that every siren in every apartment went off whenever the hyper-sensitive sensors went off. It was just every 3rd day though, until they simplu turned them off and cut the lines connecting the buildings.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

taks: yeah tell me about it. Not only is it a loud noise, but the pitch and volume are deliberately modulated to burst ear drums I swear; it's one of the most unbearable noises possible.

a crying infant... but alarms are probably designed to hit that "special" sound.

taks

comrade taks... just because.