Atari got the Icewind Dale license

H

What they need to do is make a Icewind Dale game exactly like they did it with the Infinity Engine but this time use the newest Unreal Engine. :D

I would prefer it to use the Infinity Engine but that'll never happen. Source would be good.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I never did play ICW since I dont like hack n slash very much. And combat on the IE is about as exciting as watching paint dry, anyways. This IP is better left on the shelf, IMO.

Yes, I too go around proclaiming things that I've never tried shouldn't get sequels.

Yeah, the best was when I was in the US showing my friend IWD2... then when I clicked on a default dwarf to move somewhere he went "DOO IIIT! DOOO IIT NOOOOW!"

Instafad :w:

I never understood why Dwarves were Scottish. Is there some kind of resemblance or something?

Dwarves look more like a Scottish Terrier to me. Which, interestingly, are also Scottish when anthropomorphised.

Is that it? Are Dwarves Scottish because they look like terriers?

I never understood why Dwarves were Scottish. Is there some kind of resemblance or something?

Dwarves look more like a Scottish Terrier to me. Which, interestingly, are also Scottish when anthropomorphised.

Is that it? Are Dwarves Scottish because they look like terriers?

My guess is that it is because game developers draw most if not all of their inspiration from previous games. So once one game developer made a Scottish accented dwarf it is inevitable that all game developers everywhere would follow suit. Why the first one did it, I don't know. Maybe he was Scottish?

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

My personal view is that there is a stereotype that the Scots are rock hard, occasionally small and wiry in stature and refreshingly plain-speaking. This has morphed into the classic Tolkein-esque take on the fantastical race of dwarves. Nordic / Scandic myth is also linked to the East coast of Scotland (as well as the Northeast of England). Dwarves feature in that folklore too.

I also suspect that, as an infantry officer in the First World War, Tolkein observed Scottish infantry regiments on the Western Front. Speaking as an Englishman, Scottish soldiers have a hard-won reputation as being extremely tough and aggressive in combat. I wonder if this influenced his take on Gimli (etc).

Maybe a Tolkein mentat can enlighten us.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

My personal view is that there is a stereotype that the Scots are rock hard, occasionally small and wiry in stature and refreshingly plain-speaking. This has morphed into the classic Tolkein-esque take on the fantastical race of dwarves. Nordic / Scandic myth is also linked to the East coast of Scotland (as well as the Northeast of England). Dwarves feature in that folklore too.

I also suspect that, as an infantry officer in the First World War, Tolkein observed Scottish infantry regiments on the Western Front. Speaking as an Englishman, Scottish soldiers have a hard-won reputation as being extremely tough and aggressive in combat. I wonder if this influenced his take on Gimli (etc).

Maybe a Tolkein mentat can enlighten us.

Cheers

MC

I don't know, MC. I read Tolkien a lot and nothing ever made me picture any of his dwarf characters as being particularly Scottish or having a Scottish accent. I'm not saying Tolkien's observations might not have influenced his thinking but I don't recall it coming through in his books. At least not explicitly enough that I picked up on it.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Yep, Tolkien's original dwarves, from i.e. Children of Hurin, are actually quite different from what we visually associate with him now through fantasy games or Jackson's movies. I dont' think they were ever intended to be "gruff" as much as stubborn and clipped; intelligent and cultured as much as powerful and smithy-inclined. I see them as a very cultured race, but their idea of cultured doesn't stray into dandyism, but rather controlled gravitas; very grounded fellows. In that sense Gimli of the movies woudl be something of a weird aberration.

Of course, having said that, Tolkien did make the Hobbit's dwarves very lackadaisical, perhaps because of the tone of the story itself.

I like scottish accented dwarves... :ermm:

Well, so do I. But it seems a completely arbitrary assignment.

Maybe but its totally cool. :ermm:

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

It is as it should be. Dwarves naturally speak with a Scottish accent.

If its not Scottish, it's CRAP!

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"