Games for Windows RIP

Hurlshort

http://blogs.pcworld.com/gameon/archives/006770.html

I've been reading Computer Gaming World fairly regularly for the last 20 years. I was pretty depressed to hear it's not officially dead. I knew it was close, but I kinda thought the switch to an official Microsoft type magazine might have secured enough funding to keep it going. I guess not :)

Ah memories of a time when the entire playing a computer game was actually fun. It is really depressing what has happened to computer gaming as a hobby over the last 10 years.

I'm just glad that at this point in my life I don't really have much time to play computer games anyway, so I don't have to think about how bad things are now very often.

I used to have hundreds of gaming magazines in my closet. They were awesome.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I don't know the magazine, but it is kind of sad when an era ends.

The only gaming magazine I subscribed to was Zzap64 and my first love was "Your Computer". The latter giving me many of my first games (not as reviews, but program listings/source code) :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I used to buy that magazine/still have some in storage. I miss the days when magazines were awesome. They just keep getting smaller and thinner and less awesome ... on-line mags just aren't the same.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Ah memories of a time when the entire playing a computer game was actually fun. It is really depressing what has happened to computer gaming as a hobby over the last 10 years.

Thats because these damned developers are going after the console market. :lol:

First we lost Computer Games, an awesome magazine especially when it show cased mods. Now CGW/GfW. Well that leaves PC Gamer left for me.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

No magazine deat affected me like Roleplayer Independent. They had the best adventure ad-ons and campaign ideas.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I used to have a subscription. I have something like 100 issues taking up space on a shelf. They go all the way back to when Duke Nukem Forever was first announced.

Kind of a surprising they ran out of money when 70% of the content was two-page ads. That other 30%, for the most part, was solid gold however.

I really don't get how the deal with Microsoft worked. I mean, they changed their name after 27 years and they ran an 8 page Microsoft ad in the back of every issue. It certainly seemed like they had sold out to stay alive, so it's puzzling that they didn't even make it a year. You would think it would be in Microsoft's best interest to keep the magazine alive.

I don't blame them for selling out to Microsoft, I'm just shocked that it didn't seem to have much affect.

Remember when flight sims were so popular all the gaming magazines had entire colums devoted to them? Longbow, A10, F22, Eurofighter, F15, F16, B17, P51. Remember game manuals so thick you could use them to hold open a heavy door? Remember fold out keyboard command sheets? Remember flight models and location specific damage? Remember dynamic campaigns? Remember Red Baron and Falcon? Dead as the dodo now.

Boo.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

It's not because the game designers design for consoles, it's because people don't read print media anymore. Newspapers are going the same route statistically, that is online or bust.

There are still plenty of other hobby magazines on the newsstand though. Ham Radio, model rocketry, sewing, body building, all sorts of esoteric hobbies still have magazines. If computer gaming was stil an esoteric hobby, it woudl probably still have magazines. It had a lot more magazines when there was a lot less money in the business.

Newspapers are a different kettle of fish from hobby magazines. Bad example.

Remember when flight sims were so popular all the gaming magazines had entire colums devoted to them? Longbow, A10, F22, Eurofighter, F15, F16, B17, P51. Remember game manuals so thick you could use them to hold open a heavy door? Remember fold out keyboard command sheets? Remember flight models and location specific damage? Remember dynamic campaigns? Remember Red Baron and Falcon? Dead as the dodo now.

Boo.

I agree. Those were the days. It even used to apply to space sims.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Boo.

Space sims, tank sims, sub sims, destroyer sims. Them was the days. Now the only sims we get are those silly sim sims. Who they hell would rather place house then hunt a U boat in the North Atlantic. Domestic weirdos, that's who.

DOuble boo.

Boo.

Space sims, tank sims, sub sims, destroyer sims. Them was the days. Now the only sims we get are those silly sim sims. Who they hell would rather place house then hunt a U boat in the North Atlantic. Domestic weirdos, that's who.

DOuble boo.

Very good point. "I know. Instead of doing my taxes and ironing, I'll create a simulated avatar and then do them in the virtual world. Thus the boring toil becomes equally pointless!" Give me strafing the wrong tanks because all the graphics look identical! Give me a cardboard and string biplane with two weedy maxim guns. Give me four simulated weeks of randomly wandering theAtlantic before I accidentally run out of fuel and drift into an Allied convoy which promptly sinks me!

-Elwood Blues

It's not because the game designers design for consoles, it's because people don't read print media anymore. Newspapers are going the same route statistically, that is online or bust.

There are still plenty of other hobby magazines on the newsstand though. Ham Radio, model rocketry, sewing, body building, all sorts of esoteric hobbies still have magazines. If computer gaming was stil an esoteric hobby, it woudl probably still have magazines. It had a lot more magazines when there was a lot less money in the business.

Newspapers are a different kettle of fish from hobby magazines. Bad example.

However, you have to admit, as news-information is increasinly moving to an online distribution model and thuse being easily available to the average computer user, it makes sense that a magazine devoted to something that uses the computer as its base of operations would be hit harder than say, Ham Radio that wouldn't be as intrenched online, necessarily.

I think - I won't swear to it - that I still have two issues of CGW around the house here in a box that were my brothers...

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man