Character Creation and Customization

Hey, its only my 6th alt. Grrr... >_<

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Actually, now that you bring it up Hades, how do you rate Mass Effect from a purely roleplaying standpoint?

Would Mass Effect in the Fallout Engine with Fallouts gameplay and no VA be a step up or down in this department?

I still havn't played the game, so I have no opinion either way, but in terms of actual 'roleplaying' Fallout gave the player more options than just about any other RPG out there.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Sorry for your shock and disbelief, but Mass Effect is a damn good game. It has great voice acting, good amount of action, good replay value, and it is downright fun to play. Bottom line, Mass Effect is more fun to play than Fallout 1 thusly knocks it out of its #1 position.

Because "fun" is the only way to grade a game.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

If you just take the text of both games and use that as a comparison, the various dialogues of both games I would say while Fallout has more complexity in resolving tasks, the quality of writing and how the decisions can effect the game is about equal. Just on pure text, Fallout would edge out Mass Efect to a degree but that is just a part of the overall experience of both games. Again, when it comes to games, it is the fun factor that matters most. The level of the overall entertainment value of Mass Effect is higher than Fallout 1.

This is merely just my opinion, but Nick, it is defintely a game to play. Rent it and give it a try.

EDIT: Pidesco, if the game isn't fun then there is no point in playing it. It is the only way I grade a game. You may grade differently, but to each their own.

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

On the other hand, it certainly felt, looked and played like a typical (good) RPG.

You're going to have a very very hard time justifying this statement. Even if one considers Deus Ex an RPG, it is a giant stretch to label it typical.

I did this earlier in the thread when listing why I felt it was an RPG. I listed all the 'typical' RPG traits that came to mind, and Deus Ex had them.

Perhaps you'd be better off attempting to justify why it isn't a typical RPG? Don't say "because it's first person". >_<

I did this earlier in the thread when listing why I felt it was an RPG. I listed all the 'typical' RPG traits that came to mind, and Deus Ex had them.

I found it now.

Oh? Why weren't they RPGs? In the case of DX alone:

- Non-linear

- Skill system + AUG system for very large number of character designs

- Character choices

- Game world choices

- Dialogue system

- Dialogue choices

- Multiple approaches to pretty much every problem

- An intricate storyline

- Inventory

- Ability to change the outcome of the game and many sidequests depending on your actions

- Exploration

- Moral choices

I'm a bit confused, really. If Deus Ex wasn't an RPG, what is?

Yeah, that's a stretch. Most of them are features of story based games and nonlinear games. Which is not the same as an RPG. Hell, you've just nearly invalidated any consideration of Diablo as an RPG. Or MMORPGs. And JRPGs. Far Cry actually becomes nearly as much an RPG as Diablo was. Postal might even qualify more than Diablo.

Perhaps you'd be better off attempting to justify why it isn't a typical RPG? Don't say "because it's first person". :p
Because the combat simulation system was atypical for the time. It had little influence from quantitized statistics representing the character's ability. Or at least less so than was typical at the time (or even nowadays). Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I just don't see how eliminating options makes for a better CRPG, especially when there is proof that giving players full creation control of their character doesn't hamper story quality in the least.

Please prove how Mass Effect's story wouldn't have been better if they had limited character choices more.

I don't see how it can be better. It is the only game in a decade that has removed Fallout from its number 1 position in my top ten list.

So you're saying Mass Effect has a better story than Torment?

I'm not talking gameplay mechanics or overall fun-factor here. Just story.

Yes, master. Joking.

Any how, I want to see face (eyes, nose, mouth, ears, hair) customized as well as body type (fat, average, slim, tall, short), not to mention clothing (when game permits you to have your "normal clothes"). Also for lazy people have a quik option that gives you the Adam Sandler look and with the "I <3 pimkin" or whatever shirt.

Twitter | @Insevin

How anyone could take superagent that looks like his second house is local doughnut shop goes beyond me

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

If these games were novels, which they are not, PS:T beats both Fallout and Mass Effect, but since they are games and fun is a factor in games both Mass Effect and Fallout beats PS:T. Sheesh. :)

Edited by Sand

If they go so far as to have a selection of 3 heads (one ripping off Bond, one ripping off Bourne, one ripping off Bauer), it'll be more than I give a rat's behind about. I anticipate more interest in this as an action/adventure than a roleplaying game.

I anticipate more interest in this as an action/adventure than a roleplaying game.

I agree. It sounds more like Drake's Fortune than Fallout.

And then again, Mass Effect sounded more like Gears of War than KOTOR!

Who the hell says that any decisions are final? Sheesh, people. Lighten up already. I thought the whole point of these forums is to discuss and speculate.

Who the hell says that any decisions are final? Sheesh, people. Lighten up already. I thought the whole point of these forums is to discuss and speculate.

Please submit your speculations and discussion for prior approval and majority vote before entering them on the Speculation & Discussion forum. Thank you.

:(

I guess so.

If these games were novels, which they are not, PS:T beats both Fallout and Mass Effect, but since they are games and fun is a factor in games both Mass Effect and Fallout beats PS:T. Sheesh. :(

But I'm not asking about their qualities as games. I'm asking about the story quality alone. Fun factor takes gameplay into account and that makes it an entirely different beast. But it's clear you're trying to avoid answering the question, so I'll stop now.

It's not a TRUE RPG unless I can play as a 300-pound Samoan homosexual with a clubfoot and L3WT N1NJ4 SKILLZ.

Finally someone who understands it -_-

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

But I'm not asking about their qualities as games. I'm asking about the story quality alone. Fun factor takes gameplay into account and that makes it an entirely different beast. But it's clear you're trying to avoid answering the question, so I'll stop now.

I did answer the question, Spider. A game is a game. Judge it as a whole or don't judge it at all.

You answered a question, not the one he asked.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Yes, I did. Spider asked if I consider "just the story" of Mass Effect better than PS:T, and I stated that if these games were novels PS:T would be the better novel. I simply pointed out that these are not novels but games and should be judged at such.