Arkan's Big Move

Arkan

So I have moved from my place of origin, Nitro, WV to a stone's throw away from the political center of the world. I am now a (proud?) resident of Northern Virginia near DC.

Empty boxes and wall space still abound in my $1100/month 4th floor "penthouse." At least I have everything I could need in the complex (pool, jacuzzi, weight room, etc) and laundry machines in the unit. Mooching off someone else's wireless isn't so bad, either. Now I just need to buy a plasma TV to mount over my gas fire place and my swank bachelor pad will be complete.

I'm exhausted.

Anyone else live in the NOVA area?

That is all.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

I don't live there, but the wife and I will be spending some time there this month. We're heading to Williamsburg and I have some things to do Virginia Beach. It's a great place, DC, and I hope you enjoy your life there, Arkan. :Cant's admiring Arkan's swanky pad icon:

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Well, at least you aren't living in D.C. :thumbsup:

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

I hear crime is terrible and worse than Detroit in much of D.C. How is it in Northern Virginia near D.C.?

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

I'm in Arlington. And I seem to be paying significantly more rent, yet have fewer amenities than you do. Then again, mine isn't really a bachelor pad anymore since I'm sharing it with my fiancee.

You working in the district?

I hear crime is terrible and worse than Detroit in much of D.C. How is it in Northern Virginia near D.C.?

Outside of a layover at the airport, I've never been to Detroit, but crime in the District doesn't seem to be all too bad to me. There are areas to avoid (generally, everything south of the Anacostia river is to be avoided, although the new ballpark opening in a month might help change this), but the business disctrict, the big government offices, and the Mall are as safe as any big city can get. Likewise with Georgetown and the northern parts of DC along the MD border (Friendship Heights, Takoma, etc.).

Northern VA is much like these latter areas. The Rosslyn area is really an adjunct to the business district-- DC doesn't allow buildings to go higher than the Washington Monument, so if you want to build a real high-rise, you've got to do it over the river (the Gannett headquarters, home of "USA Today" is among these buildings). The nicer areas clustered around the Metro stops have lots of high-end residential and retail development. As you get further from the subway, it gets more suburban.

Here's the wikipedia page on Arlington County, chocked full of citation-needed goodness. For example, it is the smallest self-governing county in the U.S., and CNN Money ranked it as the most educated city in the country.

Edited by Enoch

We demand pictures!

I'll post some when everything is moved in and settled....though I do have some pics of it empty

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

I'm in Arlington. And I seem to be paying significantly more rent, yet have fewer amenities than you do. Then again, mine isn't really a bachelor pad anymore since I'm sharing it with my fiancee.

You working in the district?

Not quite. I'm working in Great Falls, VA about 15 minutes outside DC.

Not bad, as far as I know. I live in a gated community, and the unsavory folk probably can't afford to live here...

Congrats Arkan! So it appears you have finished school and moved out into the big world? What are you doing career wise that brought you to DC?

Yeah, I'm totally on my own now.

Career wise, I'm going to be a stockbroker. :lol:

D.C. is surprisingly heavy in crime. Hope you're far from any of that.

I am. I live in Ashburn, VA, about 15-20 minutes from Tyson's Corner and Great Falls, where I work. (That's with traffic!)

And thanks for the words of encouragement, all!

Not bad, as far as I know. I live in a gated community, and the unsavory folk probably can't afford to live here...

Sounds like a lot of savory folk couldn't afford to live there either! :lol:

I know I couldn't. :bat:

Congrats on the move and good luck with the job :)

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Congrats Arkan! So it appears you have finished school and moved out into the big world? What are you doing career wise that brought you to DC?

Career wise, I'm going to be a stockbroker. :)

Cool. I would have expected you to move to NY with that career choice. Dont forget to PM me with any juicy insider trading info. :lol:

Considering how expensive I've heard it is to live there, $1100 sounds like a pretty good deal?

In the middle of packing myself. What a pain!

Must be exciting moving to a whole new location like that; we've never moved more than 30 miles "away".

Dont forget to PM me with any juicy insider trading info. shifty.gif

Me too. :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Career wise, I'm going to be a stockbroker. :lol:

Cool. I would have expected you to move to NY with that career choice. Dont forget to PM me with any juicy insider trading info. :lol:

Nah, NOVA is home to 5 of the top 10 wealthiest counties in the Nation...lots of opportunity here! :lol:

Must be exciting moving to a whole new location like that; we've never moved more than 30 miles "away".

Exciting is a good word for it. And ditto on the 30 miles away...

Guest The Architect

You could just click the quote tag on each post you want to respond to and post once instead of posting six times in a row, you know.

You could just click the quote tag on each post you want to respond to and post once instead of posting six times in a row, you know.

"Big whoop, wanna fight about it?"

wannafightaboutit1ea.jpg

Edited by Arkan

Congrats, mate. Just don't do what I did and quickly lose the income you need to maintain it! :lol:

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.