Gearbox' Aliens: Colonial Marines

funcroc

I'm myself somewhat disappointed that Gearbox got the job. OpFor was certainly excellent, but all their other games were just "solid". Monolith on the other hand are masters in creating suspense, mood and diversity within the FPS context.

Agreed. But I think the reason Monolith didn't get the job was because they were too busy with Condemned 2 and the fear sequel, to release an Aliens game any time soon. Not that they were overlooked.

Disappointing that being an Alien in SP is not likely.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

A comment in the GB forum regarding of the context button feature in the Alien FPS game.

Ok, just take a look on this:

Similar in concept to the button-press minigames popularized by God of War, close encounters will differ in execution. For example, one close encounter we witnessed from a first-person perspective was the player character getting grabbed by an alien from above, and then dragged through a vertical ventilation shaft. After firing a few rounds from his pulse rifle, the marine briefly scared off the creature, then he began to kick out a nearby grate to escape. After getting halfway out, there was a tug at his leg, and he was pulled back inside the vent, frantically shooting and pleading for rescue.

"Close encounters are almost unlimited in their ability to let us do what we want to do," elaborates Schuler. "Aliens can interact with the world -- it isn't just a bunch of button presses until it's over. The alien could leap back onto a cabinet, or another one of your squadmates. He could leap back and through a duct and out of sight."

Since these sequences are intended to be a cinematic way to showcase the aliens and their tactics, it doesn't do much good if a big button prompt pops up in the middle of the screen. The marine's actions described in the ventilation shaft example are initiated by the player by responding to less intrusive instructions. A subtle flash of green on the right side of the screen tells you to move the analog stick in that directions, whereas one in the upper-left corner could be a prompt to pull the left trigger. By briefly abandoning the game's usual control scheme, close encounters make it possible for the team to create those one-of-a-kind combat situations that capture the flavor of the most iconic moments in Aliens

I really dont know what to think about this...How offen do you need to deal whit the "close encounters"?...the button secuence its always the same? What do they mean whit "Aliens can interact with the world -- it isn't just a bunch of button presses until it's over"?

What do you think about the Clouse Encounters system? Perhaps its too cinematic and less interactive...you know, "press X...then Y...then A, then...B...and you are alive" mmmm

Kind of wondering if that is even pullable or not in an FPS game.

I can't really remember having seen an Alien flinch away from bullets and close infighting with them is usually 100% lethal in 0.2 seconds :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Yeah, I know. There are the players to be considered, however. It's a game, not an evisceration simulator.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

While it looks fantastic and "It's about time!" and such, that close quarters system they mention doesn't sound very appealing. The description of it reminds me of certain railed Arcade shooters, where you have to hit a button at a certain time in order to avoid some random bit of danger that would otherwise mess you up.

Not exactly the most appealing concept to be seeing involved with Aliens, especially since it's typically an experience of annoyance and frustration as well as poor presentation...

But, who knows, it might actually be more interesting if they draw it out a bit or something, so it's kind've a struggle to break away from a bug, rather than just some idiotic hit/miss affair.

I think it'll work more likely similar to Space Hulk: Vengeance of the Blood Angels

Close to a Genestealer

http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/spac...ameShotId,9852/

Winning CQC with a Genestealer

http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/spac...ameShotId,9854/

When a Terminator goes CQC with a Genestealer, it changes into a sort of interactive melee mode where the player has to focus on parrying and striking at the Genestealer at the right time though it would risk being attacked from behind(Instant death) if too much time is taken to deal with the enemy.

So basing on this assumption for GB's Aliens, it would provide players a chance to protect themselves from the attack of the Facehugger by dodging its rape tentacles to the point until another player comes to help, or succeed in throwing off the Facehugger. The latter would result in risking being overwhelmed by the Xenomorphs due to the time lost or some HP lost from the struggle.

IMO, its better than AvP and AvP2 where the Facehuggers would be an instant kill for players that might ignite frustration to certain player base. This at least provides an opportunity to survive the onslaught or even, promote teamwork to help each other out in such brink to death struggles.

Perhaps another most recent example to be used could be Call of Duty 4's dog attack.

Edited by Zoma

It's a game, not an evisceration simulator.

Shatter all my hopes, why don't you?

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

and the facehugger parts were the most ****ing tense parts of the incredibly tense AvP(1) marine game.

Keep in mind its also a console game, so its unlikely to be identical facehugger as AvP1. Avp1 Facehugger = Fast, deadly, one hit kill. Qutie impossible to aim with a console controller huh unless you make it crawl like a turtle.

So pretty much its going to be a CoD4 kind of dog enemy.

and the facehugger parts were the most ****ing tense parts of the incredibly tense AvP(1) marine game.

Keep in mind its also a console game, so its unlikely to be identical facehugger as AvP1. Avp1 Facehugger = Fast, deadly, one hit kill. Qutie impossible to aim with a console controller huh unless you make it crawl like a turtle.

So pretty much its going to be a CoD4 kind of dog enemy.

Not saying they should use this but it could be a timed button press like in Resident Evil 4. It had plenty of moments of you react fast or you die in one hit, heck at once point there was a section where you had to do around 6 of those carefully times button presses in a row and even if you miss one you die. Just because it is on a console doesn't mean that the player can't make fast reactions. This is only one example, i am sure they could do justice to AVP1 when it came to face huggers. If they actually do it well that is yet to be seen.

Heaven forbid something be difficult.

Kind of a needlessly thoughtless dismissal, don't you think?

And I don't mean thoughtless as lacking empathy, either.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Especially the target of a facehugger is five times smaller than the fastest hostile target in RE4, which are the dogs if I am not mistaken.

Well the controls are quite different when it comes to an FPS and third person like RE. Aiming in Resident Evil is far slower then in most FPS game so i don't think consoles will have the problem when it comes to tracking small fast moving targets.

Of all the scary jump moments in games, nothing has ever made me spasm/jump/freak as much as the first time a face hugger got me in AvP 1. The scream it made was straight out of the first Alien movie, and I had the volume loud. :ermm:

I had the same reaction the first time a Facehugger got me. AVP 1 was an amazing game and i do hope that this one takes some ideas from it.

Edited by Atom523

Meh, facehugger's vagina looked ok enough, but otherwise not very impressive graphix. Still ok

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

oh god, I just realized facehuggers are futas

please, somebody, shoot me in the eye :shifty:

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Now, now, just because he's annoying doesn't mean you should do anything violent.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

• 5 months later...