Is it finally here? The death of the fantasy genre?

Kaftan Barlast

I don't like sports. But just because I don't like sports doesn't mean that the genre of sports games sucks. It just means I shouldn't play sports games.

This is akin to advising you to stop reading the forum if you don't like someone's posts. Not constructive, greatly overused and simply illogical.

I don't like sports. But just because I don't like sports doesn't mean that the genre of sports games sucks. It just means I shouldn't play sports games.

This is akin to advising you to stop reading the forum if you don't like someone's posts. Not constructive, greatly overused and simply illogical.

Not really. It's more like tactful way of pointing out that simply stating a preference for X isn't a good basis for commencing a debate on the value of X.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

More games like Wasteland, please. No magic, no elves, no crap. Just a big bunch of AK-47's, a few RPG's and a pack of killable mutants.

I'm sick to DEATH of D&D, fantasy and magic in all forms.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

My understanding has long been otherwise. The novels that help define the setting say the gods can refuse spells. What's the exact quote that makes you claim otherwise?

I dont know, I deleted my scanned rulebooks ages ago.

More games like Wasteland, please. No magic, no elves, no crap. Just a big bunch of AK-47's, a few RPG's and a pack of killable mutants.

I'm sick to DEATH of D&D, fantasy and magic in all forms.

Hear, hear!

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Fantasy games will never die. LONG LIVE FANTASY!

Alos, newsflash: Science FICTION is fiction for a reason.

P.S. People who think FR/D&D dwarves/elves are nothing but other versions of humans ar ejust plain dumb, and don't know as much about D&D as they think they do.

Period.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Alos, newsflash: Science FICTION is fiction for a reason.

Yes, because if it wasnt.. it would be.. mm fact? news?

Oh, yeah, and I'm sick of fantasy. :huh:

I want a full on magic free cyberpunk game. :mellow:

That is ok but nothing compares to storming the castle to reach the mighty dragon.

Nah, Id rather storm up the loading ramp of my favorite spaceship *

* notice the remarkable lack of sexual innuendo

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

So Kaftan, what would you rather see instead of "cliche Fantasy drivel" (which I would be the first to admit, exists)? Some fantasy that isn't quite so cliche? Or would you prefer a different genre predominate altogether? I mean, apart from some underused settings like cyberpunk (in RPG, anyway), the genres all have their share of 'drivel', the prime examples in gaming being sci-fi and ww2.

Is a freaking Heroes action RPG too much to ask?

An RPG that caters to a the laziest appetites of comic geekdom and fails to deliver on its meager promises whenever the opportunity arises to resolve a plotline?

Sounds delightful.

This thread is a monument to tunnel vision.

Edited by Pop

So Kaftan, what would you rather see instead of "cliche Fantasy drivel" (which I would be the first to admit, exists)? Some fantasy that isn't quite so cliche? Or would you prefer a different genre predominate altogether? I mean, apart from some underused settings like cyberpunk (in RPG, anyway), the genres all have their share of 'drivel', the prime examples in gaming being sci-fi and ww2.

I thought I made it quite clear that I am sick and tired of fantasy. I want the whole genre to just drop and disapear. Wether it's contemporary, sci-fi, postapocalyptic or whatever that replaces is doesnt matter. I just want change.

p.s

more superhero games would be sweet too

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

This thread is definately heading for the "lulz".

Strangely, i agree with Volourn once again. If this was about lazy developers abusing known settings to compensate for the lack of creativity, then we would have a discussion.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

This thread is definately heading for the "lulz".

Strangely, i agree with Volourn once again. If this was about lazy developers abusing known settings to compensate for the lack of creativity, then we would have a discussion.

Magical Volo is always wrong without exception, thats his schtick. And this thread is about lazy developers/publishers trying to squeeze blood out of the stone that is the fantasy genre, whilst letting awesome genres go unnoticed.

Dragon age is vaporware, it will never be released, especially not now that EA owns BioWare.

Dragon age is vaporware, it will never be released, especially not now that EA owns BioWare.

Wow, you really have a talent to make an arse out of yourself.

I regularly visit the DA boards, and development is going on well. As a side-note, DA is going to be a very gritty, low-magic world...so much for Fantasy cliches. Do you think developers couldn't mess up or milk a PA or SciFi or contemporary setting beyond recognition? Meshugger is totally right that it's not the genre, but the developer that is responsible for what gets made and how well it gets made.

Edited by Morgoth

Be careful what you wish for. If Fallout 3 is a huge commercial success, brace for the arrival of a dozen clones using the same post-apocalyptic setting with minimal creativity. You may find yourself looking back at these fantasy-sodden times as the 'good old days'. :)

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I dont know about you, but Id rather take a bad pancake over a bad pile of manure. Mediocre sci-fi is still much better than mediocre fantasy.

And I still dont believe DA will ever be released. All we have seen in these 5 years is a few mockup-screenshots and a small one-room forum buried along MDk and shattered steel.

Mediocre steak still tastes better than mediocre lutfisk. Semicolon.

And DA has been on there since NWN1 was released :lol:

Is a freaking Heroes action RPG too much to ask?

An RPG that caters to a the laziest appetites of comic geekdom and fails to deliver on its meager promises whenever the opportunity arises to resolve a plotline?

Sounds delightful.

This thread is a monument to tunnel vision.

I agree.

Also, it would be nice if people would read Kaft's disclaimer once in a while and ease up.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Everyone who likes fantasy should be pelted with pinecones, so sayeth the book of kaft.