Is it finally here? The death of the fantasy genre?

Kaftan Barlast

The whole comparing 'only eating beans' to fantasy games being 'overdone' analogy is dumb simply ebcause there's tons of non fantasy games out there to play. Not a smuch as there are fantasy games MAYBE; but theya re out there so it's not like youa re forced to play *only* fantasy games.

L0LLIGAGZ!

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

But the vast majority of RPG's are Fantasy which is unfortunate. I mean, you have to be a pretty tragic person to think elves are cooler than spiderman or wookies.

Before this post was edited, i wrote that Fantasy could be rigtfully summed up with a common three letter word which we all know. We're not allowed to write this word but we all know what i was saying :D

Edited by Kaftan Barlast
I am sure an artist like you can find a different word for it...

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

What's hialriously funny about Kaftan and others whod ecry fanatsy are they are usually some of the first in line to buy the newest fantasy game. HAHAHA!

When in a desert any oasis will do.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

What's hialriously funny about Kaftan and others whod ecry fanatsy are they are usually some of the first in line to buy the newest fantasy game. HAHAHA!

When in a desert any oasis will do.

Lies! The only Fantasy game Ive been first in line to get was NWN2 (I got the box with the horribly ugly purple orc in it)

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

sci-fi v. fantasy. quibble over a difference in name that is largely w/o a point.

So there's no difference between Wasteland and Baldur's Gate then? Yeah, in name only :-

It's so old trying to reduce the discussion to a question of semantics. It's not.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

You'd need to be one hell of a swordsman. I've hunted rats.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

And see, there is no contemporary or sci-fi game where a "kill the rats in my basement with your gretaxe" quest would be acceptable. Thus, Fantasy yet again pr0oves itself to be the worst possible setting*

* maybe a "my little pony" RPG would be worse

Replace 'rats' with 'krators' or 'zeelax' or some other silly sci-fi name, colour them fluorescent blue, replace the axe with a broken pistol and have at thee!

A 'My Little Pony' RPG would definitely qualify as fantasy, as well as extremely tacky. And I seem to recall killing quite a few rats in Fallout.

I do agree that sword & sorcery RPGs are getting pretty tired, but there's lots of room for fantasy RPGs that don't involve greataxes and fireballs. The trouble is that publishers hate new games. A publisher would much rather put an old game in a new box with extra shiny than make a new game, because they can't predict whether people will like a new game, and that frightens them.

A 'My Little Pony' RPG would definitely qualify as fantasy, as well as extremely tacky. And I seem to recall killing quite a few rats in Fallout.

I do agree that sword & sorcery RPGs are getting pretty tired, but there's lots of room for fantasy RPGs that don't involve greataxes and fireballs. The trouble is that publishers hate new games. A publisher would much rather put an old game in a new box with extra shiny than make a new game, because they can't predict whether people will like a new game, and that frightens them.

Which is sort of the same problem that Hollywood is having, isn't it?

Movie companies whining about the unfaithful movie goers unwillingness to view "Tough Guy XXIII", "Celebrity Skin Show 3" or "Freddy vs. Jason vs. Predator" etc.

I suspect there is quite a lot of teeth grinding going on amongst the creative people, the investors and the poor suckers who have to somehow reconcile the two extremes.

People too concerned about the formulas of movie making give you "The Phantom Menace", people too unconcerned about the formulas of movie making gives you Uwe Boll.

Somewhere in the middle, the good movies exist, and because statistics says so, for x number of unessential but decent movies, a golden nugget is bound to be found. I imagine the game industry works a bit the same way, although I have no insider knowledge of what it is like.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I do agree that sword & sorcery RPGs are getting pretty tired, but there's lots of room for fantasy RPGs that don't involve greataxes and fireballs.

That's one reason Planescape: Torment was awesome. Not a single sword or bow in that game and the spells were all fairly unique too. It did everything from scratch and critically assessed what would be considered essential items/aspects of an everyday fantasy CRPG.

And see, there is no contemporary or sci-fi game where a "kill the rats in my basement with your gretaxe" quest would be acceptable. Thus, Fantasy yet again pr0oves itself to be the worst possible setting*

* maybe a "my little pony" RPG would be worse

pc_horez.jpg

:o

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I was playing Mass Effect last night and all of a sudden you're jumped by a TV crew and the dialogue turns into a live tv interview. I thought that was really cool, and its definently something thats impossible to do in a fantasy game. Unless you pull something idiotic and non-credible like "Gandolphs illusionistic news network". That is a small example, but Fantasy is a genre that really puts a chokehold on creativity is a lot of ways. And we hates it, yes we do!

I was playing Mass Effect last night and all of a sudden you're jumped by a TV crew and the dialogue turns into a live tv interview. I thought that was really cool, and its definently something thats impossible to do in a fantasy game. Unless you pull something idiotic and non-credible like "Gandolphs illusionistic news network". That is a small example, but Fantasy is a genre that really puts a chokehold on creativity is a lot of ways. And we hates it, yes we do!

The Longest Journey did it, albeit in Stark rather than Arcadia.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Wait, wait. You deliberately picked a very specific example of an instance that would be impossible in *any* medieval, ancient, high fantasy, or in fact any setting that is not modern or sci-fi, and are trying to say that is an example of how fantasy is a chokehold on creativity, while modern/scifi is a superawesome outlet of creative eruptions? :o

I have no idea how that would be a good example of fantasy's inherent lack of creativity. You could say that you think specific things that are impossible in fantasy such as TV broadcasts very much enrich the game, and thus fantasy is not a very good setting; but what you can't say is that it shows fantasy puts a chokehold on creativity. Every setting has its inherent limitations, including science fiction or Mass Effect's specific setting, and those limitations aren't really the problem, its the designers and how they think and innovate within those limitations. Even if you take a standard Tolkien fantasy world, I would hardly think that the limitations are so draconian creative fantasy worlds are impossible. Blame the people who don't try to innovate and churn out mediocre, tepid fantasy titles, not the genre itself.

Personally, I find most sci fi incredibly silly, and hardly see anything to delight about in their creativity (not really), cohesion (nope), or the way the world is explained and justified (mumbo-jumbo). But if you like sci fi (or any genre) more than fantasy, that's fair enough to you. No problem. But I think these genres are all quite similar in the way they have limitations, and its not fantasy that's particularly handicapped.

What Im saying is that alot of story "hooks" and tools that we use today, are impossible to transfer to a Fantasy setting while keeping it credible. So there is a clear limit to what kind of stories you can tell in a fantasy setting, a much greater limit than contemporary or future stories. While a contemporary setting can be blended with others genres like Neil Gaiman likes to do, it remains rooted in its basic contemporary world and the great creative freedom that comes with that.

The Fantasy genre is heavily formalized and adheres strictly to a certain model of "storytelling" or whatever you might call it. You have a finite set of design/story patterns that you use over and over again with slight variation. Like for example the magic object that must be reassembled from pieces spread over the land, or the big ominous naughty person whose armies threaten all that is good and true, or the cursed hero who must find a cure for his curse.

Fantasy is an inherently restrictive genre, whereas contemporary or sci-fi have a very broad range of possibilities in comparison.

In a post apocalyptic scifi world there cannot be a TV show as well. So should all post-apocalyptic games be banned?

Generally there are a lot of plot hooks in fantasy as well that cannot happen in space opera or whatever. Also there are a lot of ways to present a fantasy world. If you read Tolkien or Le Guin or some FR novel or some Dragonlance novel (we are still in pseudo-medieval) the worlds will look vastly different. Some people like the one over the other and others don't like any of them, and these worlds present possibilities along with restrictions. The same thing happens in scifi.

The only difference is that since we live in a world full of technological advancements, the human mind will find it easier to use this everyday things to produce plots. Fantasy is generally more difficult to create, but usually (if it's used by someone capable) will bring more possibilities and variety than scifi, since it's (in an abstract sense) less restrictive than scifi (and especially hard scifi).

I think therefore I am?

Could be!

Or is it really someone else

Who only thinks he's me?