Is it finally here? The death of the fantasy genre?

Kaftan Barlast

This thread is definately heading for the "lulz".

Strangely, i agree with Volourn once again. If this was about lazy developers abusing known settings to compensate for the lack of creativity, then we would have a discussion.

Magical Volo is always wrong without exception, thats his schtick. And this thread is about lazy developers/publishers trying to squeeze blood out of the stone that is the fantasy genre, whilst letting awesome genres go unnoticed.

Probably, but he has his moments, just like now.

Other licenses go unnoticed because they usually don't sell (That doesn't that i support such risky business, i actually applaud that). But Mass Effect isn't the saviour IMO, since it wasn't any better than any other Bioware games. Games with 'unusual' settings, such as Bloodlines and Deus Ex, are miles better than it.

The Witcher is really, really good btw.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I think the crazy enourmous sales of Mass Effect is proof enough that it represents the future of RPG's. And this is despite being released on only one format and sharing launch with heavy hitters such as Assassin's Creed and CoD4. It will very likely outsell Diablo II, which is the best selling RPG of all time.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Aren't biotics in ME the same as....magic? :-

Arent dogs a kind of small horses? I could give you a longwinded explanation, but I will just say no instead.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

is no functional difference 'tween sci-fi and fantasy. some settings even blend/meld the two 'posedly different genres. heck, take a step back and look at star wars as sci-fi v. fantasy. had an orphan protagonist who wants to be a knight. got a princess in peril. a rogue who ain't as heartless as he would have folks believe? yeah, got one of those. even got a black knight bad guy. magic swords? check. a kindly wizard who steps into the merlin role w/o a hitch is part o' the story too. throw in a titanic battle 'tween forces o' good and evil... heck, you even gots a dragon in the classic tolkien sense. the death star = smaug. as for the science o' star wars... assimov would shudder. is no science in star wars... is simply ray guns and space ships in a fantasy setting.

in other words kb is off his nut. fantasy will always be 'round, in one guise or another.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I think the crazy enourmous sales of Mass Effect is proof enough that it represents the future of RPG's. And this is despite being released on only one format and sharing launch with heavy hitters such as Assassin's Creed and CoD4. It will very likely outsell Diablo II, which is the best selling RPG of all time.

Your wit fails me :sad:

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Kaftan fails here at lulz and "serious opinions", tsk :sad:

As for this:

Aren't biotics in ME the same as....magic? :-

Arent dogs a kind of small horses? I could give you a longwinded explanation, but I will just say no instead.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

Arthur C. Clarke, "Profiles of The Future", 1961

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

The reverse is also true.

"Any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."

Doctor Who, "Battlefield," 1989

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

I feel like we've all been eating nothing but beans for 10 years, but when I stand up and declare that I now have had enough beans and would like something tastier, you all go "Why? beans are good" and then Im all like "Even a hot pocket would be better than beans at this point" and then you say "Beans and hot pockets are basicly the same thing." and then I reply "Well, how about.. NO!" and here we are. Beans.

The reverse is also true.

"Any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."

Doctor Who, "Battlefield," 1989

Hey! Quotes are no fair!

"I would not know what the spirit of a philosopher might wish more to be than a good dancer."

Friedrich Nietzsche (1844 - 1900), The Gay Science, section 381

There, happy now?

Ah, beans... The musical fruit! The more you eat the more you toot! :-

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

I feel like we've all been eating nothing but beans for 10 years, but when I stand up and declare that I now have had enough beans and would like something tastier, you all go "Why? beans are good" and then Im all like "Even a hot pocket would be better than beans at this point" and then you say "Beans and hot pockets are basicly the same thing." and then I reply "Well, how about.. NO!" and here we are. Beans.

It has nothing to do with some innate problem with beans themselves. It has to do with how they are prepared. You could live for a long lifetime on beans and be very happy, though gassy, if you had a creative chef working for you.

Beans can do anything.

Beans == Fantasy.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

No matter how creative the chef might be, just beans all the time would still be repetitive. The only way to avoid this would be to prepare the beans in such a vastly different way, that they would cease to look and taste like beans at all, thus making them, for all intents and purposes, not beans at all.

Besides, only ever eating beans when you actually have other ingredients available is just dumb.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Yeah! I mean, I dated a friggin vegan and they molest beans in the most absurd ways, and its still always beans. And there's no way you can make Bouillabaise or Chocolate cake using only beans.

I'm not saying I would only want to eat beans for years on end. That would be quite dumb if there were other choices, I agree totally. My only point is that any ruleset, any monster, any skill, any class, any spell, can be made more or less interesting depending on the job the designer(s) does. Compare Spector's Deus Ex with Smith's Invisible War. Two similar conceptual gameworlds given two different treatments by two different designers with vastly different results.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

But, there are so many interesting beans?

Cocoa Beans, Baked Beans, Coffee Beans (a personal favourite), Mexican Jumping Beans, Jelly Beans, Mr. Beans, Cool Beans, Lima Beans, Kidney Beans, Green Beans... the list is endless :sad:

Ok, so a different recipe every now and then is probably not a bad thing, but with publishers being bean counters, odds are they will go with stuff that is predictable if given a choice. Makes it easier to manage expectations for share holders.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

kb not like beans? fine. the problem is that you claims to likes frijoles. a nice cassoulet? sure. red beans and rice? probably not... 'cause actually got "beans" in the name.

sci-fi v. fantasy. quibble over a difference in name that is largely w/o a point.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

It seems people are complaining about different things here. Personally, I'm sick and tired of Norse mythology-based fantasy settings. Sure, you can argue that elements in other fantasy universes (e.g. sci-fi) have exact analogues with traditional high-fantasy universes, but that's fine by me... as long as there are new concepts to keep me interested, and as long as I don't have to hear the ****ing word "elven" ever again.

It seems people are complaining about different things here. Personally, I'm sick and tired of Norse mythology-based fantasy settings. Sure, you can argue that elements in other fantasy universes (e.g. sci-fi) have exact analogues with traditional high-fantasy universes, but that's fine by me... as long as there are new concepts to keep me interested, and as long as I don't have to hear the ****ing word "elven" ever again.

You certainly have every right to not want a game with elves. I would never argue that.

My counter point to your statement though would be that a good designer (or a good DM for that matter) could make a game about elves the most interesting and fascinating game you've ever played. By saying you are sick of elves, I would argue, that you are really saying you are sick of reptitive and unimaginitive game design rehashing the exact same things that have been doen countless times before.

And yes, I agree with that.

But changing to scifi as your crpg genre of choice isn't going to suddenly redefine crpg game design. The exact same failures will just be transposed into a new set of genre trappings with essentially the same preditcable end result.

I wouldn't mind seeing Fantasy die... for a while. I don't think I'd enjoy an overload of sci-fi RPGs though.

I say, bring on the steam-punk-1930-to-1960-alternate-universe-action-RPGs! Magic in a setting like Bioshock's or Crimson Skies would be awesome.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"