Zero Punctuation - Yahtzee reviews

Pop

I doubt he played it long enough to figure out the major cracks in the design. That first 9 hour playthrough the only flaws I noticed were the ones Yahtzee mentions and the fact that I was only fighting weak scamps in the final levels.

Besides, considering Yahtzee is the type to consider the "nnnnnn roleplaying!" types to be tossers, and that he likes twitch gameplay, it's to his credit that he saw the game as the ball of bland it is and not God's Own ****, unlike most other reviewers.

Edited by Pop

It really wasn't very funny, was it? That's a shame, because I don't really think much of his taste or analytical skills and only really watch for the entertainment value.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Besides, considering Yahtzee is the type to consider the "nnnnnn roleplaying!" types to be tossers, and that he likes twitch gameplay, it's to his credit that he saw the game as the ball of bland it is and not God's Own ****, unlike most other reviewers.

Agreed. He's not exactly the first guy I think of when I want on-point analysis of RPG rules systems.

• 2 weeks later...
*casts raise dead on the thread*

Haze

Well I don't know the game, but I laughed nonetheless.

Augh! That song that plays at the end with all the little movie clips is driving me nuts. I know I have it here somewhere but which one is it?!

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

oh dear, I can already see in my mind jokes about cutscenes

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

after having watched it, the biggest thing I noticed was that he didn't mention the game has multipul ways to play though it, Rambo, no Kills, and finially No alerts (the last one is where the Stealth REALLY comes into play.)

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

That's kind of like Defending Ikaruga by saying 'but there's dot-eater!'.

I mean, the same was true of previous MGS games, but the lack of convenient 'run and gun' options in those forced you down those paths, rather than making them optional. I'm not saying that stealth options arn't nice (i'm not even saying that the gameplay is bad), but as soon as they're optional, it's not really a stealth game.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

From having read the story (and trying to keep up), I think it's safe to assume that the Metal Gear series defines "too much story".

Seriously.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

..."read the story"? :)

MGS's are awsum

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

..."read the story"? :wowey:

MGS's are awsum

I pretty much read resumes of all that happened, if that's what you meant.

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

from wikipedia or what?

from wikipedia or what?

Does it really matter?

I mean, you can't understand **** about the plot if you do that. Seriously.

Games must be played

plot =/= emotional impact or storytelling. Plot CAN be read, it's the latter two have to be experienced.

We're not even talking about a game with branching paths or interactive cutscenes so the plot is completely static.

EDIT: unless you were specifically refering to the plot summery on wiki being lackluster.

Edited by Nick_i_am

Hadescopy.jpg

plot =/= emotional impact or storytelling. Plot CAN be read, it's the latter two have to be experienced.

We're not even talking about a game with branching paths or interactive cutscenes so the plot is completely static.

EDIT: unless you were specifically refering to the plot summery on wiki being lackluster.

Oh, I simply mean plot is downright confusing if you read it like that on wiki (I've done that twice in my MGS4 fever). In MGS2 it is confusing IN GAME too, but they eventually make sense. But reading short summaries of its numerous plot twists and bla bla bla is just overpowering

Yeah, that's probably where the 'too much plot' thing comes from, which is somthing I agree with, even as a fan of the series.

I enjoy the series (hell, I completed MGS in one sitting) but it's the storytelling which is great, while the plot itself, post MGS1, leaves kind of a bad taste in my mouth. It's like the anti-halo (a series with some of the worst sorytelling in the history of games, which is a pity since the plot itself is actually quite good).

All opinion, obviously, but it says a lot that even Kojima regrets making the plot of MGS2 so complex (which knocked on to 4 so that loose ends could be tied up).

Hadescopy.jpg

I think Yathzee nailed when it comes to the story: it needs an editor. If the dialogue wasn't redundant it might not be so bad. Kojima might have an insanely good story, he just needs to learn how to present it effectively.