Zero Punctuation - Yahtzee reviews

Pop

The Ocean House in Bloodlines did a little better, as there were parts of it that could kill you, but still, after that first time it's not very scary. But that first time in the basement it's ****ing intense.

I would not say it looses all of its potency, but it is definitely not as intense during re-plays. Of course, my first experience with the abandoned hotel was at, approximately, one in the morning with all the lights extinguished - so subsequent day-light adventures -I still try to play that part at night though, makes for a more authentic feel- were almost tame.

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

I never got all that absorbed in Condemned scarey bits, except for the part in the department store. There are mannequins strewn all about the level. Some of them are mannequins. Some of them are people. They'll stand perfectly still until you turned your back. This combined with the (excessively, in my opinion) claustrophobic level design and the pitch black darkness really set up an atmosphere.

The problem with FEAR (besides the fact that I never found Ju-on evil little girls to be scary) was that it was easy to distance yourself from the horror elements because they weren't a part of gameplay. They were basically cutscenes seamlessly inserted into the gameplay as visions or whatever. The Ocean House in Bloodlines did a little better, as there were parts of it that could kill you, but still, after that first time it's not very scary. But that first time in the basement it's ****ing intense.

Contrast those with something like the labs in STALKER. The poltergeists and psionic monsters created the same sort of atmosphere that you could get from harmless ambient noise and scary visuals, but they also had the ability to kill you. And the jumpers and pseudogiants made the best sorts of noises.

I pretty much agree there, the labs in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. shared the same suspense as in System Shock 2. There was no "safe" place, the whole environment was against you, and nothing was taken for granted. Shameful on the Condemned 2 review though. The "Fahrenheit syndrome" can pretty negate any possibility of purchase for me.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I never got all that absorbed in Condemned scarey bits, except for the part in the department store. There are mannequins strewn all about the level. Some of them are mannequins. Some of them are people. They'll stand perfectly still until you turned your back. This combined with the (excessively, in my opinion) claustrophobic level design and the pitch black darkness really set up an atmosphere.

The problem with that level was the amount of set pieces, furniture, clotheslines and Christmas paraphelia in there. The place felt lived in. I didn't really feel threathened by yet another horde of bums. Not to mention, once you realise that the mannequins do three things when you zap them with your taser/hit them: a)drop an arm or b)yell and become stunned or c)die, the place looses whatever scare it might have had. I just started to hit every mannequin I saw standing(I mean, besides those walking of course) and the level became some sort of demented hobo version of "Where's Wally?". I admit it was fun for a bit.

Funnily enough, I thought Bart's Department Store was one of the more well-lit levels of the bunch. Though it might have been the colour contrast to the grey of previous levels. Well, after the awful train maintenance tunnels, anything would have felt lighter.

That level has quite a killer spot about two-thirds in though. I guess it might have been even more, had I not lost my fear of the puppets. I'm glad I had seen the scene earlier when my friend was playing and I didn't know what the mannequins were. Very disconserting, liked it rather well.

The problem with FEAR (besides the fact that I never found Ju-on evil little girls to be scary) was that it was easy to distance yourself from the horror elements because they weren't a part of gameplay. They were basically cutscenes seamlessly inserted into the gameplay as visions or whatever. The Ocean House in Bloodlines did a little better, as there were parts of it that could kill you, but still, after that first time it's not very scary. But that first time in the basement it's ****ing intense.

Contrast those with something like the labs in STALKER. The poltergeists and psionic monsters created the same sort of atmosphere that you could get from harmless ambient noise and scary visuals, but they also had the ability to kill you. And the jumpers and pseudogiants made the best sorts of noises.

I completely agree with you. The problem is that the scary parts are instanced, always the same. STALKER managed to play on the player by giving both him and the monsters are relatively open playing field. Though Agropom Underground was sort of silly with the "look! a new monstie!" approach and triggers. Fortunately both monsters were tastefully cool.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

As an fanboyish **** of the Wii, i am now going to spam his mailbox :shifty:

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Yeah, I might do the same - Brawl was a good game. I wonder how long it would take to set up a mass-spam algorithm, probably not a good idea anyways though... :shifty:

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Yeah, I might do the same - Brawl was a good game. I wonder how long it would take to set up a mass-spam algorithm, probably not a good idea anyways though... :shifty:

Think "fork-bomb" :devil:

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

The comments under the video are pretty dumb.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

I read them.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

The comments weren't dumb because they were SSB fanboys, they were dumb because they were Yahtzee fanboys.

The comments weren't dumb because they were SSB fanboys, they were dumb because they were Yahtzee fanboys.

Yeah, he's building a cult following - and not the good kind either. :wacko:

-Hurlshot

Best. Ever.

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

I loved the projection joke.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

amusing as ever

i suppose it was inevitable for him to get such emails though

what is it with nintendo fanboys....?

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!