Anime recommendations: Part 2

SteveThaiBinh

Thanks Slug. I'll wiki all of these, Tengen Toppen Gurren Lagann especially. Last Exile I have already. Like a lot of anime it gets a little wacky towards the end. Great stuff though.

I guess Ergo Proxy gave me a taste for something futuristic with a strong sense of art direction. I don't mind if it's steam or cyberpunk though, I'll take whatever I can gets.

You may also want to check out:

Darker than BLACK. It was a pretty cool show in my opinion. If i remember correctly towards the end it starts to get quite good but with all anime good endings are far and few between. Also cat episode was supreme win. Super powers, time space density wave function collapse bubbles, and super electron lazer beams. 8.5/10

Code Geass. Mind control, mechs, futuristic imperialism, the united states of nippon, pizza hut, and crippled loli wintasticism. Pretty neat show, looking forward to the second season. 9/10

I'd say thats about all I got left. Just watch TTGL last so you can appreciate the other shows. If you get hasty and watch it prepare to hate anime for the rest of your life.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Darker than black started slowly and became Cowboy Bebop-awesome until episode 19 or so (when a certain character is introduced), and finally turned into sour grape in the very end. Sad really.

Currently watching Eureka 7 (up to episode 22 at the moment), and it seems to be fairly ok, aside from the notion of 14-year olds are better in handling mechas than adults.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I got the Berserk: Box of War and i will try to watch it this weekend. I wonder if i will cope with the final episode "The Great Eclipse" though.

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Why don't they conclude Berserk already? The series has been dragged on long enough.

Haven't watched or read any new anime/manga for a long time. I was wondering is Shaman King any good? (I am mostly looking for a likable lead character and a good laugh.)

Why don't they conclude Berserk already? The series has been dragged on long enough.

Haven't watched or read any new anime/manga for a long time. I was wondering is Shaman King any good? (I am mostly looking for a likable lead character and a good laugh.)

I don't think that they can ever quit with the manga, it has sold 30 million copies already. But another anime would be nice.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

I'm still looking for stuff to watch, there's so much out there and i have no idea where to continue! I've enjoyed especially: Noir, El Cazador De La Bruja, Madlax, Ghost In The Shell (2nd gig), Sensei Mahou Negima!, Strawberry Panic, Serial Experiements Lain (odd!), ICE, Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Sisters of Wellber, ROD the TV, Mai HiME, Mai Otome, Ikkitousen and even Girls Bravo. Well there's more but i've listed enough off the top of my head... >.< And the craving only grows. Black Lagoon was good!

I prefer animes with lead female characters, and despite the theme of yuri in most of what i watch it's not a requirement. Oh and there was some abslutely mental series about an inept ninja girl with a schizophrenic sensei who is a yellow ball. That was amazing, i'll try and dig out the name.

Anyway... any suggestions where to go next? I'm not really into mecha i'm afraid either...

Urgh, I detest yuri so I don't really know what to recommend, but there's some universally recommendable anime that you can most likely appreciate. Try at least His and Her Circumstances(Kare Kano) and Seirei no Moribito.

chomp.jpg

i'll hav dis one noaw and the other latez, k?

Even if you are not a Gainax fan, the former series' unique visual styles, actually funny humor and great romance are sure to appeal to anyone. Gainax takes on a traditional school love story and almost remakes the genre by transfiguring existential themes and incredible visual humor over the conventional romance plot. Not to mention, the original manga is strong in itself as well, I haven't seen a lot of anime with so consistently believable characterization. Nevermind for a moment that the original is shoujo and therefore features shoujo evergreens like the ambiguously gay comic relief or the perfect male student, ok? In Kare Kano, instead of simply retaining to their accepted places, these characters time and time again break the convention, either by having actual depth beyond the original stereotype or by being prone to reactions that you don't really expect from an anime that was initially marketed for girls in their teens. The series gets yet more interesting towards the end when it comes apparent that they are going to cut the story. The studio gets nigh-insane with the Gainaxian mind****. Supposedly the original manga author wasn't too supportive on the direction that the adaptation was going and so they didn't have the rights for the whole manga run. Instead, the end sequence is a venture into the surreal techniques of the medium. And likely the most emotional moment I've ever had with the medium.

0704serei-moribito.jpg

-Son, I have something important to tell you.

-What is it?

-You are retarded.

The latter series(Guardian of the Sacred Spirit) is enchanting beyond it's rather mundane fantasy premise. Based on a popular series of Asian(Chinese, wasn't it?) novels about a mercenary called Balsa, it tells a story about being able to bend fate. Initially it's more of an action epic in a vaguely Chinese setting, but as the series goes on, it expands in the spiritual and rural mountainside hamlets and hideouts and new themes like fate and the role of family are introduced. It's an interesting take on how much society is built on traditions and how those traditions both acclaim bonds and yet enrich us. Throughout the series's run, the troupe was constantly trusting their elders and going by the expected, sacred routes, yet it's finally a bond between then-enemies and the "good guys" that gets them home safe. Another very important theme is that of being a family, of having to accept the role of mother or the role of a son in circumstances that are entirely against you. Not to mention, both of you have just met! Also, the action scenes are just grand and it's a visually engrossing and beautiful experience. Very much worth a watch. I just love the mix of styles and genres. It's a like a goddamn pastiche.

Edit:Also, read a ton of scanlated Tenjho Tenge. Do it for the boobs and for the asskicking. Keeps you a man.

Edit2:I was going to include a TenTen pic, but realised that it would just hurt the classical minds of our generation.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Urgh, I detest yuri

WHAT?!

"Two chicks making out, that's not hot at all."

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I detest yuri as a genre, fool. Two chicks making out is hot, but watching the odd 20 episodes of nothing but titillation is a bit of a ho-hum.

Then again, I'm not Tale.

Edit: Also, Landiskan only listed one yuri I'm aware of. Unless some grand doofus has decided that Bee Train's animes are suddenly yuri. I don't particularly recall any sapphic boomtime in Noir and Madlax for instance.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

I didn't like Serei No Morbito. Angered me greatly. The begining, sure it was nice but like 2 episodes in the entire run of the show where there is actual fighting is kind of lame. The "spirits" at the end were lamer than hell and the ending was pretty anticlimactic. However, you are right. The art style and animation is quality stuff. It was just a boring show. There's no other way to describe it. Visually it was beautiful but like nothing was happening except like character development but the main flaw is that characters are defined by their actions and there wasn't a whole lot of action going on.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Slug recommends Gurren-Lagan for character-defining actions!

Good enough for Slug, good enough for you!

Jesus.

kirottu said:

:'(

Just did some quick research, apparently the Robotech theme sounds like the Superman theme because it was supposed to. They literally told the guy who made it to make it sound like Superman, only they didn't have the orchestra Superman had.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

My respect for GAINAX just rose a inch.

Bloody hell that's awesome.

Considering they were nothing but bunch of amateurs and that was their second work quality of that clip is astoundishing. Hideaki Anno, Yoshiyuki Sadamoto, Takami Akai and Shinji Higuchi gave some serious geeky loving back at the 80's!

Have fun spotting superheroes, Gundams, Star Wars characters, xenomorphs, Klingon ships etc. (also, "oh lawds is dat sum 1st appereance of Gainax bounce at 1:56 lawl")

If you don't count ****ing flowers that's most amazing animated music video, ever. And Twilight is damn catchy tune!

My newest Anime Recommendation: Daicon IV Opening

5/5 movie gentlemen, 5/5

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

No gasping "omg teh thing roxord? Fe' shame.

Anyway, any movie recommendations?

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

Not all of us have a 24/7-biojack into Teh Internets, u fool.

About the commercial, it was pretty grand. I don't exactly dig eighties stuff, but that was visually like Disney's Fantasia and pop culture combined! Without handlebars! I don't know if I'd recommend watching it, other than slight nostalgia, but the imagery is obviously the grand entree of what would be later called Gainax, hehheh.

kirottu said:

Not all of us have a 24/7-biojack into Teh Internets, u fool.

About the commercial, it was pretty grand. I don't exactly dig eighties stuff, but that was visually like Disney's Fantasia and pop culture combined! Without handlebars! I don't know if I'd recommend watching it, other than slight nostalgia, but the imagery is obviously the grand entree of what would be later called Gainax, hehheh.

biojack? Why I never...! I just have rapid tendencies when it comes to anime and topics like this :p

I'm not fan of eighties either (anime or otherwise) but that was damn great. The sword is apparently Stormbringer btw.

I so wish Gainax would remake and publish HD version of that so I just could figure out all the references (noted Aslan this time, heh) but considering all the serious copyright infringements in that clip that's very unlikely :sad:

Also:

The singles chart performance was much more modest than its predecessor; however, the song gained cult status in Japan amongst fans of Japanese animation and comics (commonly known as otaku). The song was used without authorization as the theme music for the famous opening animation to the 1983 Daicon IV science fiction convention. It also appeared (with authorization and credit) in a 1982 advertisement for the Toyota Celica XX (Supra).

In 2005, the music was used again for an homage to the DAICON IV opening, the animation that formed the opening for the television series Densha Otoko, a series featuring an otaku as the main character (along with several recurring extras). As a result of such uses, the song has become somewhat of an anthem for otaku.

lolwut :lol:

post-9032-1201099533_thumb.jpg

Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei. This series has been consistently hilarious, outrageously hilarious.

kirottu said:

Hehheh, familiar avatar figure.

kirottu said: