Anime recommendations: Part 2

SteveThaiBinh

kewlies

i'll check it out :brows:

Second season is much better in my opinion so if you end up thinking the first season is boring and sucky make sure you give the second season a chance.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Also give Ergo Proxy a shot.

What? Everyone who I've recommended it to so far has been head over heels in love.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I'd recommend the following: go die in a fire.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

:D Jesustesticles.

I...I...I have it.

Yes, only last half of it, yes it's only camrip, yes, sound quality is far from superb, yes, framerate is somewhat low harming the animation but I LOVE IT

Oh gawd that Ramiel is one helluva beast for one gigantic, floating octahedron <3

This is second coming. Oh yes so it is ^__^

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

The whole Operation Yashima sequence is just... insane. There's no other word for it.

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

You'll inform here when a sub group gets a reasonably finalized product out in the net and you find out about it, right?

kirottu said:

You'll inform here when a sub group gets a reasonably finalized product out in the net and you find out about it, right?

You can be sure of that :)

It's actually quite alarming and sad that apart from Ergo Proxy this Rebuild of Evangelion 1.0 has been (heck, half of it) best thing that has come out recent years in anime (I've yet to see 5 Centimeters Per Second though) And a lot of it is picture to picture recreation of original series! Though not in magnitude I thought it would be.

But yeah, it really was that great. Pacing, overall cinematography, new music etc. is just wonderful. And one can't not to be awed by animation quality. Not even 3D elements got too bad/dominating apart from one scene.

All the original seyuus are back. Now, I know people praise e.g Cowboy Bebop and its cast (rightly so) but personally I've yet to meet performance which thriumphs Megumi Ogata as Shinji and Hayashibara as Rei. Rest of the cast is superb too (next I'd rank Misato and Gendo) and it really wouldn't be eva without them.

To be exact what I've seen is recreation of Episodes 5 & 6 (directed by Hideaki Anno). Those were "the" episodes of first part of the series and are well example of Hideaki Anno's skill at more normal/usual storytelling and directing abilities (others would be of course eps 8-9 and his older works like Nadia and presumably Gunbuster which I haven't yet seen). However, I never was that much fan of whole Operation Yashima and Ramiel. Ramiel damn straight was one of the coolest looking angels and basically flying fortress, but it didn't feel that much of a threat. Sure, most powerful angel so far, but you just knew Shinji'll snipe him down eventually, tt was just sixth episode!

This time he really, really boils Shinji in first encounter... and stuff later on :ermm:

I also knew that Anno wasn't too happy with how Yashima turned out in TV-series. Because of limitations of budget and all he had to reduce it's epicness quite a bit. In movie that epicness is bumped UP from that original vision :(

Suffice to say that's now one of my favourite fight scenes ever. Last time anime envoked such feelings within me was when I watched end of Cowboy Bebop for the very first time. It's that great.

Unless first half is terrible suckage I'll be giving this 5/5 and title of best-movie-of-the-year-I-have-seen-this-year-apart-from-Pan's-Labyrinth.

And it's not just the fanboy within me I guess, this movie has been doing very well in Japan. :)

First time I saw Lilith and Terminal Dogma was one of those kodak moments. If Terminal Dogma had been like in Rebuild back then I'd be like certain crazed arab from Lovecraft's fiction, sheesh :D

Also, the tapeplayer is there! Yay! :D

If anything this movie shows how great director Kazuya Tsurumaki has become.

Actually that isn't true, he showed that with FLCL already, but point stands

Edited by Xard

Kuulostaa hyv

kirottu said:

Macross Frontier. 1st episode just released days ago. A sequel finally after a prequel.

You can watch it in Youtube still. Be quick before it gets deleted!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vrRFMvcbPR4

Macross 7 wasn't a prequel. But thanks for the information!

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Full Metal Panic caught my attention...

It feels like Dual! all over again. only the comedy is on a different tack than in Dual.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Macross Frontier. 1st episode just released days ago. A sequel finally after a prequel.

You can watch it in Youtube still. Be quick before it gets deleted!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vrRFMvcbPR4

Macross 7 wasn't a prequel. But thanks for the information!

The last Macross was Macross Zero to celebrate the 20th anniversary. The storyline is a prequel to Macross with a younger Roy Focker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVUciqWtR6c

There's the series in youtube. It has awesome CG combat!

The story gets weird though.

Edited by Zoma

Noein. Just finished watching this a few minutes ago and I have to say it was actually quite nice. It was pretty cheesy at the melodramatic parts and the whole wave density function space time quantum mechanics stuff was a little crazy to get my head around. Other than that the fight scenes were pretty cool and the whole Gurren Lagann drawing change up was I guess done well, just not as good.

I'm going to give it a mildly pleasant 8/10.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Ergo Proxy flummoxed me up good and proper. Maybe Musty can clue me in. I enjoyed it plenty howevers, even if the protagonists are an unlikable bunch at times. It reminded me of Amnesia Moon by Jonathan Letham actually.

The dreamers of his novel shape the post-apocalyptic landscape around them very much like the Proxies.

Is that a spoiler? I'll spoilerize it... to be sure.

Edited by Tel Aviv

Cool. I'm watching Ergo Proxy as we speak. It was another show that I watched to a certain point than stopped. Currently on episode 5. Pino is the best character in the history of all media and sure to be in the future as well.

Nah, Twin Peaks cast mostly surpasses it. From anime Nadia, Nausica

You're also an NGE fanboy, by your own admission.

Do any of you jerks know of some quality sci-fi anime? Slug, you seem a discerning viewer, what do you recommend?

I am afraid that is an insanely tough one. I tend to stray away from sci-fi since it's not my particular interest but I have seen my share of them I suppose and I can say with confidence that of any subgenre of anime Sci fi is probably one of the worst.

Tengen Toppen Gurren Lagann. I don't want to hype this show for you and ruin it but it is by far the best series of 2007 and leaps and bounds above most everything I've seen in my entire anime watching. The characters in this show are very nice and fleshed out and the action, dialogue and most of all art is so outrageous and awesome you can't even comprehend it's magnitude. Watch it, as soon as possible. Mechs, space, future, pure unadulterated awesome.

Gankutuou. Not sure if this one counts but its The Count of Monte Cristo but it's set in this like alternate futuristic but still traditional French setting. The art style of this show is very different from anything you've probably ever seen and the story is done extremely well. I'm pretty obsessed with The Count but seriously this show is a must see for anyone.

Ghost in the Shell: The Second Gig. If all else fails Ghost in the shell but it has to be second gig. The first gig was confusing to a point that I honestly had no idea what was going on even until the end. The second season is much better, easier to comprehend and in my opinion a better story even though I don't remember what happened. Future, artificial intelligence, machines.

Toward the Terra. I'm hesitant to recommend this one because I didn't like it however some blog people thought it was wonderful and the end made me feel like a sensitive schmuck, not even a scolding hot shower washed away the shame. I will say the show does a moderate job of building up towards the end but the show as a whole is boring and frankly stupid. If you have some sort sick sadistic fascination with memory deletion, psionics, and crappy futuristic utopia with a dark secret then I suppose this show is for you. If not, don't even bother.

EDIT: I'm sorry I don't know what kind of humanitarian I'd be if I let you watch this show. Do not watch under any circumstances.

Other mentions:

Heroic Age - Future, galactic travel, giant organic mech like things. 6.5-7/10

Eureka 7 - Future, sky surfing, aliens. Skip the last episode 8.5/10 - with ending 7.8/10. 50 EPISODES

Last Exile - May not count. Planes, futuristic nobles who control the world. 8/10

That's pretty much all I got. I either can't remember, haven't watched, or hated anything else I haven't mentioned.

Edited by theslug

Do any of you jerks know of some quality sci-fi anime? Slug, you seem a discerning viewer, what do you recommend?

What are you looking for when you say sci-fi?