Gonzales gets the boot

Kaftan Barlast

Bush ally Gonzales resigns post

US Attorney General Alberto Gonzales

Alberto Gonzales is a long time friend of the president

Gonzales thanks Bush

US Attorney General Alberto Gonzales, embroiled in a row over the sacking of eight US attorneys, has formally announced his resignation.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6965602.stm

Bush made comedy when commenting "his good name was dragged through the mud for political reasons". What about those 8 guys Gonzales fired... for political reasons? :ermm:

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Its about bloody time. Now they just need to get rid of Rice, Cheney, and Bush now that Rove and Gonzo is out of the way.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Gah! And Daily Show is a repeat?! :sad:

Until then ... Gonzales to Spend More Time Eavesdropping on His Family ... if only ...

Will Save penalty vs. Kitty: -20

GCS d(--) s--: a C+++$ US++>$ P+++$ L+(++) E--- W++ N+ w--- V- PS+ PE Y+ t+@ 5++ X R+ tv(+) b+ DI++ D+ G+ e++ h-() r+++ x?

How many nuns would a nunchuk chuck if a nunchuk could chuck nuns?

Bush made comedy when commenting "his good name was dragged through the mud for political reasons". What about those 8 guys Gonzales fired... for political reasons? :)

uh, no different than any other political appointee, and their names weren't dragged through the mud in the media. we wouldn't have even heard of them till somebody decided to take gonzales to task over the non-issue. so, sorry, your hypothesis that these guys were "dragged through the mud" is nonsense.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

They were fired for political reasons, but yes they weren't dragged through th mud. Just hung out to dry. :D

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

Gah! And Daily Show is a repeat?! :sad:

Until then ... Gonzales to Spend More Time Eavesdropping on His Family ... if only ...

:thumbsup:

For someone that said that the Geneva agreement "obselete", especially in his position, i am glad that he's gone.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Just hung out to dry. :D

really, not even that. i mean, they took the job under a democrat, likely replacing republicans from a previous administration that suffered an identical fate... it's not as if they didn't know it was coming, sheesh. congressional meddling in this affair was the real tragedy. they're really trying to overstep their constitutional bounds with this one. well, more so than they usually do i guess.

taks

For someone that said that the Geneva agreement "obselete", especially in his position, i am glad that he's gone.

it is, actually. i mean, exactly who out there do we engage that abides by even reasonable rules of war anymore?

taks

I don't think it's that unfair. The Convention is designed for wars between states. Wars these days are between states and non-state actors.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

it is, actually. i mean, exactly who out there do we engage that abides by even reasonable rules of war anymore?

taks

I thought this was one of the reasons to fight against them.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

He's got a point, though. Even outside the scope of counter-insurgency, what good is any declaration of universal human rights if it's not strenuously enforced? They only just started trying war criminals at the ICC, there are plenty of people out there who've yet to be caught. And it's difficult to act, even, without eliciting cries of "world police" or "imperialist". Do we just run roughshod over borders and through cultures in pursuit of war criminals or do we wait until it's convenient to act before we do so? Is it really practical to seek justice in either case?

But that's all beside the point. I had Gonzalez pegged for gone when he showed his complete contempt for the Congress during the Wiretap scandal. I remember when he had just come on, a lot of people were optimistic that he wouldn't be a crony, and apparently those people were wrong.

I've heard rumors of Michael Chertoff being tapped to replace him. I do hope that's a joke.

Nonetheless, $20 says Gonzales fails to recall his resignation and shows up at work for at least a few more weeks.

Edited by Pop

taks

Call me idealistic and naive. Hell, my 90-year old grandfather have tales from WWII when questionable acts occurred at the front lines (He doesn't imply that it is useless, just hard to follow). But i see it as an ideal that any country who calls itself civilized should strive for :thumbsup:

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

But i see it as an ideal that any country who calls itself civilized should strive for :thumbsup:

I agree with Meshie.

I agree with Sand agreeing with Meshie.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Wait, so he argued the the convention was obselete in addition to trying to argue that there is no promise of habeas corpus?

Good riddance, should have happened sooner.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Call me idealistic and naive. Hell, my 90-year old grandfather have tales from WWII when questionable acts occurred at the front lines (He doesn't imply that it is useless, just hard to follow). But i see it as an ideal that any country who calls itself civilized should strive for :shifty:

that's not the point... calling something obsolete and saying there shouldn't be rules are two different things. for example, one of the primary "requirements" of the geneva convention is the display of a uniform or identifying wardrobe. this doesn't happen anymore. the geneva convention IS obsolete, and gonzales was only pointing out the obvious - he wasn't making any statements regarding what _should_ be in place. heck, it was obsolete after vietnam.

taks

Wait, so he argued the the convention was obselete in addition to trying to argue that there is no promise of habeas corpus?

sweeping generalization. not true at all. the concept of habeas corpus really doesn't apply to the wiretapping thing anyway.

taks

the concept of habeas corpus really doesn't apply to the wiretapping thing anyway.

Correct! Hmmm Taks, I thought we went through the whole Habeas Corpus thing with evertone already?

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

probably. if anything, this would fall under the illegal search and seizure category, not illegal detention (which is what the writ of habeas corpus addresses). make a call outside the US, and you've entered into different territory w.r.t. public safety. had they been tapping domestic calls, which i'm sure they do more than we're told (though probably with classified warrants), i'd hold a different opinion.

taks

Edited by taks

Why are you speaking as if someone thinks it applies to wiretapping? Did I bring up wiretapping? It was brought up in Senate in regards to Guantanamo detainees, not wiretapping.

Edited by Tale

oh, OK. it was immediately after the wiretapping comment so i naturally connected the two.

that said, suspension of habeas corpus has always been allowed in cases of extreme public interest, particularly with non-citizens. this is connected to the whole geneva convention being obsolete issue, too. the most obvious case of the gov't's right to suspend habeas corpus is w.r.t. prisoners taken during war activities. however, since the prisoners are not marked as enemy soldiers, indeed what could they be marked by, they really don't fall under the geneva convention. they aren't citizens (well, there may have been a few), so they aren't afforded constitutional protection either. sort of a conundrum.

taks

A conundrum that seeks resolution, not exploitation. Simply because one's classification is in limbo does not mean they are without rights. The Constitution and Geneva Convention should be looked at as precedents for the rights of people in general, not something to be avoided when possible and convenient. Now, I'm not to say Gonzales was in support of depriving human rights when convenient, well actually I did pretty much say that earlier. However, after looking into the contexts a little more, I've only moved back to suspicious.

I find this a most interesting excerpt:

Gonzales: I meant by that comment, the Constitution doesn't say every individual in the United States or every citizen is hereby granted or assured the right to habeas.

As he speaks explicitly of citizens. Was his comment merely one of being an academic argument over the wording or was he actually trying to make an argument for a point?

Edited by Tale

I could use some more elaboration of this point about habeus corpus. I thought that was just us and the Magna Carta.

To shift my statement on the Geneva conventions, iirc we already established they only apply to co-signatories, and persons who uphold that signed commitment. As such they are not obsolete, they are just not relevant to guerrilla warfare. The question of guerrila warfare split the conference. Were partisans to be accorded the same rights as regular combatants, or were they to be treated as 'franc-tireurs'* and summarily executed.

* I wonder if this could be the real origin of the word terrorist?

-Elwood Blues

I find this a most interesting excerpt:

Gonzales: I meant by that comment, the Constitution doesn't say every individual in the United States or every citizen is hereby granted or assured the right to habeas.

As he speaks explicitly of citizens. Was his comment merely one of being an academic argument over the wording or was he actually trying to make an argument for a point?

Either way it was an exceedingly stupid thing for the AG to say. True, the Suspension Clause does give the government oblique authority to disregard HC it in times of "Rebellion" and "Invasion". But 5 times in US History the congress or President has attempted to intrude upon it and the Supreme Court has knocked them down every time, as recently as last year. Now the prisoners in Guantanamo are not US citizens and were not taken on US soil. Additionally the country they were taken in was not a Geneva signitory and the organization they were fighting in (Al-Queda) certainly was not. To me that means they are SOL. But despite that they have been decently treated, much better than a captive in their hands would have been.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell