Bioshock!

Krookie

Apparently, you don't really need those drivers for Bioshock, unless you have a dx10 system.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Don't need them anyway. But you might see some performance gain.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

OH NO! Bioshock got a 9/10 from Gamespot! XBox360 is doooooomed!

Played through the demo over Steam. Excellent!

Andrew Ryan gives off a Shodan vibe at the end

Wait a second... Andrew Ryan? THAT'S MY NEPHEW'S NAME!

Will do! I know what I'm having for lunch tomorrow!

I couldn't stop screaming(well, I could because my friend hit me with the other controller) "P-p-pathetic hacker!" in the demo, but maybe that was just me

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Zoma is now, officially, a little bastard. At least until I get the game myself.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

A bit worrying that the review that comes last (Gamespot) is the one that seems most rational of them all so far. And it's also the "lowest" score so far. Beginning to sound more and more like the Oblivion craze where it took everyone a good 10 hours before realizing just how shallow the game really is.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

A bit worrying that the review that comes last (Gamespot) is the one that seems most rational of them all so far. And it's also the "lowest" score so far. Beginning to sound more and more like the Oblivion craze where it took everyone a good 10 hours before realizing just how shallow the game really is.

That's an awkward claim. The "Oblivion craze" actually required people to play it for it to seem that way. It's one thing to be skeptical, it's another thing to start making comparisons. It's a bloody 9.0 rating! What's worrying about that?

Edited by Tale

What's awkward about it? Do you think that every reviewer who was under time pressure, saw the first few hours of Oblivion and then gave it a 10/10 would still give it that score after 30 hours of playing? Do you think they would have given those scores today? I don't.

Most of these gushing Bioshock reviews have come after very short times with the game. Maybe the game is so short that they actually had time to play through most of it before submitting the reviews.. or maybe they all played the first 2-3 hours and assumed the rest was equally good. As in the case with Oblivion..

Since Gamespot comes last (of the three-four major review sites) and probably have had more time to play the game and they're also giving it the lowest score so far (even though it's still an incredibly good score) has me worried. Does the facade break the longer you play this game? Are there flaws that become apparent after longer periods of playing? Who knows. I'll be getting my pre-order by the end of the week anyhow.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I doubt Irrational can make a game you can compare to Oblivion. So far, each and every one of their games have been exactly as good as the hype made them to be.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

What's awkward about it? Do you think that every reviewer who was under time pressure, saw the first few hours of Oblivion and then gave it a 10/10 would still give it that score after 30 hours of playing? Do you think they would have given those scores today? I don't.

Most of these gushing Bioshock reviews have come after very short times with the game. Maybe the game is so short that they actually had time to play through most of it before submitting the reviews.. or maybe they all played the first 2-3 hours and assumed the rest was equally good. As in the case with Oblivion..

Since Gamespot comes last (of the three-four major review sites) and probably have had more time to play the game and they're also giving it the lowest score so far (even though it's still an incredibly good score) has me worried. Does the facade break the longer you play this game? Are there flaws that become apparent after longer periods of playing? Who knows. I'll be getting my pre-order by the end of the week anyhow.

It's awkward because you're getting worried about a 9.0!

You're reading way too much into it. WAAAAAY

Edited by Tale

HAHAHA! Oh wow!

People who buy the PC version can't activate it until seemingly 4 pm EST. Steam or not.

I can assure all of you SS2 purists, may be disappointed with Bioshock gameplay thus far.

This is certainly a watered down game with a design in mind meant for console games and like some of you have guessed, this is much more of an action FPS game than a survival horror like System Shock 2. Personally, I prefer System Shock 2 gameplay since it offers more depth and inventory system.

But you just have to give credit for this game, simply for its eye-candy effects and immesrsive and creepy environment. Great presentation and voice acting.

However, in the end it plays just like an action game, that tries to be a spiritual successor of System Shock 2 but deciding to forgo the depth in gameplay SS2 offered.

Also just in!

Bioshock uses Vert- for Widescreen!

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum...asc&start=0

http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4883

If you don't know what that means, check those two links. Pretty easy to figure out and why we dislike it. If you're a widescreen user, please post in the second link about how you'd like them to resolve it in a future patch. Please be civil.

Edit: Apparently the 2K devs have responded that they're looking into it. Awesome. I'll update if I hear more!

Edited by Tale

I can assure all of you SS2 purists, may be disappointed with Bioshock gameplay thus far.

This is certainly a watered down game with a design in mind meant for console games and like some of you have guessed, this is much more of an action FPS game than a survival horror like System Shock 2. Personally, I prefer System Shock 2 gameplay since it offers more depth and inventory system.

But you just have to give credit for this game, simply for its eye-candy effects and immesrsive and creepy environment. Great presentation and voice acting.

However, in the end it plays just like an action game, that tries to be a spiritual successor of System Shock 2 but deciding to forgo the depth in gameplay SS2 offered.

Good, I was pretty tired of the "hack everything, scrounge everything for nanites, hunt for chemical storages all the time"-routine by deck 4.

Best thing Irrational(or Looking Glass and legacy, including people at Rust Monkey, Floodgate, Bethesda, etc) has done with their games is instill atmosphere, intensity, dread, elation upon discovery, a sense of hanging to your life by a thread and still laughing. If Bioshock has successfully streamlined both fps and LGS-vibe into one game, I'm very content. Actually, extremely content, with it being an audiovisual blast as well.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:

I think I need to start over. I traded in my electro for the telekenesis, when I should have traded in incinerate. Now I can't hack any turrets or security bots until I get to a gene bank. :'(

Edited by Tale

Very very cool intro.. I'm kinda bummed that all the little girls and some of the slicers (but they aren't as noticable) look the same. But still amazing looking game, traveling down to Rapture is a great experience. And I like those Pip-Boyish graphics; they are done by the same artist who worked on Fallout, right? (sorry if this was already asked, didn't read the thread because I didn't want to be spoiled)

edit: Though I was already kinda expecting them to mostly all look the same from the previews, so I shouldn't be so nit-picky.

Edited by Zero

It has a similar inspiration to Pip-boy, the 1950-60s. I don't know if it has the same artist.

Edited by Tale

You guys should probably make a new spoiler-free impressions thread so that people who don't have the game yet can come and read without fear of being werewolved.

+1

Especially for those that don't get the game until friday the earliest.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy