Evolution, creation or something else?

Oh, leave the Mayans out of this, Taks. ;)

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

True enough. ;)

If the world doesn't end in 2012 I will be sorely disappointed. :)

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Gahh, sorry for spelling errors. I had certain problems with... concentration at the moment.

Hmh, I guess we should try making list of all that'll happen in 2012

- Aliens attack

- Third World War begins

- World ends

- Possible Harmageddon

- Duke Nukem Forever

- Microsoft publishes their follower for Vista after years of setbacks

- robots rebel and stuff

Hmh, it's going to be one busy year

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

-Apparently the re-tuning of the world

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I agree.

Only religion that truly makes sense is Buddhism, and even it (like Hinduism) counters one major problem: Number of people are constantly growing. Remembering every people continue to reincarnate again and again until they can break away from cycle of rebirth and be free, total amount of humans should stay same, actually microscopically decrease with every now and then someone becoming Buddha (and thus one of the reincarnating soulss is no more part of the world).

And you can't really use decreasing number of animals as counterargument ("souls dwell nowadays more in humans than in animals"), since number of animals in extincting (did I just invent new word? =P ) won't match huge increase in overpopulation of this planet.

Also, I'm not even 100 % if souls reborning ( laws of karma being the judge of course) as animals as well as humans is part of Buddhism, or is reincarnating human only thing in Buddhism. I could check this out, but I trust our walking encyclopedia meta or someone else knowing the answer and thus saving my time :)

Otherwise Buddhism is quite as "sensible" religion as it can get, being more like philosophy than religion. Also, newest scientific foundations in fields of cosmology really challenges linear time view common in monoteistic religions, but fits with cyclical time views like in Hinduism, Buddhism etc. (I couldn't make simple Western-Eastern division here, since old greek had cyclical time view, and I bet some indians did too)

Idea of "quantum soul" fits even better in Buddhism than let's say, Christianity.

Also, by all means energy seems to be something that exists and always has (matter, after all, is energy ). It is said God is omnipresent, omniscience and omnipotence, something just exists and always has.

Judging by this, I say it is just as likely for energy to be something that has always existed as some personal God.

You could make energy some pantheistic God without consciousness. After all, consciousness is not something absolutely necessarily for God in pantheism. Fits with "did God have choice in creation" (free quoting) by Einstein as well. Subconscious creating yadda yada... That also fits with Buddhism and somewhat with Hinduism too.

Greatest "threat" for pantheistic all compassing energy God is possible existence of Dark Energy, but it's existence isn't even sure. Yet. Maybe never be. Maybe there'll be alternate explanation for certain oddities and Dark Energy will be buried in annals of false theories. Who knows.

the thing is that while the population of humanity grows, the population of otherthings lessens

Edited by Calax

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

And you can't really use decreasing number of animals as counterargument ("souls dwell nowadays more in humans than in animals"), since number of animals in extincting (did I just invent new word? =P ) won't match huge increase in overpopulation of this planet.

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

Yeah

Actually I fear little bit for my life, I mean, if we don't get DNF in 2012 I'm going to get stoned for being false prophet

edit: Who killed ph34r emoticon! :thumbsup:

Edited by Xard

I am sure Buddha has a secret soul reserve bank. Some souls turn into hollows too and then eat other souls. You simply can't manage without some sort of backup.

I am sure Buddha has a secret soul reserve bank. Some souls turn into hollows too and then eat other souls. You simply can't manage without some sort of backup.

200522320113473499.jpg

No worries, Zaraki Kenpachi will put those hollows to rest

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Oh I'm sure Buddhist...ermm... churches, have their explanation but I'm very interested in knowing it and how strong their argument is.

It could be very weak (ie. my "souls dwell nowadays more in humans than in animals") or then it might make sense. Maybe now and then there will born new souls? But how exactly that would happen, won't it go against core pillars of buddhist worldview etc. etc.

Also, I'm talking about Buddhism in its original, "pure" form which is much more like philosophy than religion. Without ghosts, monsters, heaven, hell and "stuff".

Oh I'm sure Buddhist...ermm... churches, have their explanation but I'm very interested in knowing it and how strong their argument is.

It could be very weak (ie. my "souls dwell nowadays more in humans than in animals") or then it might make sense. Maybe now and then there will born new souls? But how exactly that would happen, won't it go against core pillars of buddhist worldview etc. etc.

Also, I'm talking about Buddhism in its original, "pure" form which is much more like philosophy than religion. Without ghosts, monsters, heaven, hell and "stuff".

Can't believe that you took my ridiculous "hollow" comment so seriously. You must thought a lot about this particular subject. There is no uniformed view on the subject of the soul in the Buddhist community since the religion has now branched into so many schools, so you probably won't get an official explanation concerning your question; but if you ever get one, please keep us posted. :wub:

In my personal opinion, you probably want to look into this place called the soul society. All these souls just sit in that place and they must get bored...

Sounds a bit like Adam Kadmon. By the name. Then I read the article. o:)

I didn't take hollows of your comment (of course) seriously, but it reminded me that stuff like hollows really became part of buddhist "folklore" later on. :ermm:

Hmh, I guess you should be right about that there's no uniform view. But since reincarnation & stuff related to it is same to all (well, nearly all, of course there must be some niche cults ) branches of Buddhism (like believe in Jesus Christ as son of God in all Christian churches) there COULD BE unified view on matter.

I never thought that there was a base in folklore for the whole hollow thing. I did notice swastika in Ichigo's Zangetsu, but didn't realise the buddhist roots ran deeper.

Serves me right for constantly underestimating Tite Kubo.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

Oh, how I'll love you

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

I don't know if someone has brought this up in this thread before because it is far too long to completely go through, but what is it with all the creating and beginning in this thread?

Why does everything have to have a beginning? Why can't something just be there? Be eternal? Or is that too big a concept for way too many human minds to wrap themselves about?

The latter.

Otherwise we would never have cut the atom.

kirottu said:

I don't know if someone has brought this up in this thread before because it is far too long to completely go through, but what is it with all the creating and beginning in this thread?

Why does everything have to have a beginning? Why can't something just be there? Be eternal? Or is that too big a concept for way too many human minds to wrap themselves about?

It is not that it is too big a concept for humanity to wrap its head around. Moreso that man has the insatiable need or urge to "know" things. And simply accepting that something has always "just been there" is...well...not acceptable.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

What exactly is intelligent design?

Intelligent Design, also known as I.D., is a laughable farce created in an attempt to reinstate Creationism into the educational system.

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Otherwise we would never have cut the atom.

what's interesting about that phrase, as well as the more common "split the atom," is that neither allows a full understanding of the magnitude of that feat. not just in theoretical or scientific terms, but in terms of the immense amount of energy that is released when something as small as an atom is simply... cut... in half. BAM!

edit: i think we need to coin a new term to describe what happens when an atom is split in twain... "so then we kajama'd the atom" or something...

taks

Edited by taks

comrade taks... just because.

I never thought that there was a base in folklore for the whole hollow thing. I did notice swastika in Ichigo's Zangetsu, but didn't realise the buddhist roots ran deeper.

Serves me right for constantly underestimating Tite Kubo.

You might be giving him (her?) too much credit, I'm not sure is there some creature in wapanese folk lore that's exactly like hollow. But things similar to it are. Or too less credit if you're looking from side of originality instead of cultural knowledge.

But my mistake really, way I wrote it looked like I said hollows are part of Budhist folk lore, my bad :)

If one wants to have entertaining look into japanesefolk lore and myths you should pick some Rumiko Takashi's work. Especially InuYasha (which I don't like though) is full with traditional monsters & stuff from weird mix of Buddhist and shintoist legends (line is pretty blurred between them anyway).

edit: Gah, is the word shintoist or what :)

Edited by Xard

There must be something wrong with your head, recommending Inuyasha?

It's "shinto legends".

kirottu said:

Ouch :)

No I don't recommend InuYasha. At all. It's as average as it can get IMO.

Shinto legends... Ok thanks :)

Edited by Xard