Hobbies

Shryke

For the past couple of years i've been dabbling a fair bit in wood carving

It's not a regular past time, just something i do from time to time when i get a nice idea for a pattern.

Mostly i've been working on driftwood and such (when i find some decent pieces)

I made a random little tanto for a friend of mine before she went to England, and carved the handle for her

Lately though, i've been thinking about trying something different.

I wanna try my hand at sculpting.

I'd like to try it with sandstone preferably, but i'm not sure where i could find some. I was thinking maybe going into like an art supply store and asking. I'm not sure though, maybe i'd have to contact a quarry or something

Anyone got any ideas? And while we're at it, anyone else got any interesting hobbies?

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

For the past couple of years i've been dabbling a fair bit in wood carving

It's not a regular past time, just something i do from time to time when i get a nice idea for a pattern.

Mostly i've been working on driftwood and such (when i find some decent pieces)

I made a random little tanto for a friend of mine before she went to England, and carved the handle for her

Lately though, i've been thinking about trying something different.

I wanna try my hand at sculpting.

I'd like to try it with sandstone preferably, but i'm not sure where i could find some. I was thinking maybe going into like an art supply store and asking. I'm not sure though, maybe i'd have to contact a quarry or something

Anyone got any ideas? And while we're at it, anyone else got any interesting hobbies?

Why not bone carving?

Bone carving (which I think is also called scrimshandering) always sounded interesting to me. You could also try doing more practicaly focussed woodcarving. I'd love a rosewood computer case.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

damn straight, what's wrong with that?

actually, with the sort of people i hang out with, that wouldn't faze them in the slightest

Photography is about the only hobby I have.

I think learning blacksmithing would be interesting, tho.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

"So what do you like to do?"

"Oh, I carve bones in my spare time."

I guess it depends on what kind of chicks you like. It would also depend how cool the carvings were. I imagine the trick would be to keep one on you at all times to show off.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Woodworking is the best hobby ever. When I'm older I'll definitely have my own work shop because I loved woodshop in HS. It'd be kind of cool to carve like a totem pole or various animals but living in the desert doesn't give you many opportunities to do anything like that. ;)

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

i just finished my latest project last night

my flatmate had a really rugged wooden knife thingy he'd made while he was drunk last year sometime. he asked me too do what i could with it

i just shaped and smoothed out the hilt a bit, and etched some light bands around it to give it a bit of grip. i cleaned up the "blade" a bit as well, and put a bit of an edge on it (well, as much as you can for a wooden knife anyway!)

i finished it off by carving the first initial of his name on the base of the blade

was good fun while it lasted, but now i need a new project

• 10 months later...
And while we're at it, anyone else got any interesting hobbies?

Well, as almost all the regulars know - I ballroom dance. That and gaming are my main hobbies, although I dapple in several other things. >_<

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

had a friend with the most unique hobbie. he goes to greatful dead concerts and pick fights with dead-heads. am assuming he gets some kinda cathartic release, but it always seemd a little to vulgar for Gromnir.

now going to a bar where stock brokers hang out and picking fights...

*shrug*

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

now going to a bar where stock brokers hang out and picking fights...

:(

I have a couple of hobbies, none of which I do much about at the moment unfortunately. I would love to pick up miniature wargaming (Warhammer) again, but there seems to be no regular wargaming clubs within quite a few miles of where I live ;)

I still enjoy collecting and painting those little guys though.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein