The experiences of a lowly playtester

Cantousent

I managed to get into a couple of conversations with co-workers today and I think they're thawing. I like folks, which makes it easier. Not only that, but I understand that these things take time and patience. Once you get past all that, we've got a friendly team. It was also pleasant to hear from some of you fellow board monkies about your experiences in QA.

On the positive side, teams with excellent morale often can look upon outsiders in a hostile way; if you prove yourself worthy of inclusion then they initial hostility may well be metamorphosed into a protective loyalty.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Cant, do you make up your own test cases or are you given some?

I worked three years in QA, two of them as a Lead/Project manager.

What I've learned is that usually, the work itself is quite chaotic. There is no established work process or methodology in testing. It seems to be pretty much every tester for himself, and management rarely cares as long as the product passes certification(in the case of consoles anyway), which is the actual job of a QA team.

I found that testers had a much easier time when given a series of specific tasks rather then just being told "ok, you will test level 3 of the tower of Melchior. Just write anything you find." This was very bad for the testers, it reenforced that feeling of "we're at the bottom of this food chain and nobody cares".

The worst days were when we were testing just to fill in the hours because we were waiting for a new build to download.

Anyway Cant, I love this thread. Brings back memories. :wub:

:wub:

I never could have guessed.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Okay, I think the environment is a little more hectic because we all work in the same area. However, I've become more and more impressed with the developer. My supervisor on the developer side sat down with me today to do help me with some things and I was quite happy. One of the other testers also gave me a hand getting a feel for how to write up bug reports and how to test them before I actually post them. I'm definitely happier now that I'm starting to get a feel for the job. Something that didn't help was the fact that my dad went into the hospital last week for heart problems. He's out now, thank God, and they'll be putting in a pacemaker this week. No drama over that, though, and I didn't talk about it at work.

Anyhow, I'm getting into a groove at work, and that helps my confidence quite a bit. Now, I would like to discuss actual bugs that I've done, but I can't figure out how I'd approach it just yet. Maybe WILL's method? :Cant's ***** **** ******* ** icon:

In the meantime, I think it's great that other folks are adding their own experiences. It helps cover the fact that I'm terribly lazy about posting in my own topics.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

It's strikes me that you should have echeloned testers.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I would also add that, as you are less than two weeks into the new role, I would doubt that any manager would expect any measurable amount of work from you; this is more a period for oritentation.

You could screw up royally and I doubt they'd be concerned (it might give them cause to watch you closer than the others, and give the others some ammunition to call you names, but it shouldn't worry them overly, as you are still becoming acquainted with the company and its particular work ethic and methods).

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Leferd PMed me a while back about his experiences and I asked him if I could quote him in this thread. He said yes, so here goes:

Now I was luck enough to work with a AAA developer/publisher where we tested both internal and external projects and so my experiences could be significantly different from yours. From what I gather, being a TEMP contract tester means you are at the very end of the totem pole. You've probably already figured that out, and it seems that they haven't really instituted any sort of training program for you. I was given a whole week's worth of training (under the QA supervisor -with help from the senior database tester). During that week, I was given a really early build of an older game, and was told to write up as many bugs I can, as well as to seek out as many different types of bugs, to boot. Atleast once a day, the QA supervisor would look at the bugs I wrote and he would critique me. I wasn't put on my first project, until the following week and even before I was given a build of that game, the QA lead for that project told me to read the entire bug database for that game. That pretty much lasted me a good 5 or 6 hours. With all that imparted knowledge of the database, I began to write up TEXT and grammar bugs for the next three days.

I think this is a good point. I'm sure it has a lot do with the financial shape of the publisher and the agreement with the developer. I work for the publisher, after all, and that means that the publisher is responsible for my training.

BTW: There is a lot of knowledge, skill, and creativity among my fellow testers. We don't even need an entire week. Even a minimal time investment would reap great rewards. No money for training? Have a little informal training. It will help.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

What game are you testing?

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

I watched "Grandma's Boy" a few months ago. It was about a professional video game tester. It was silly and not realitic in most parts, but I was surprised how many things it got right about the gaming industry, at least from what I've heard.

What did "Grandma's Boy" get right about life in QA? I watched the movie, and I have 4+ years experience in QA, and that movie was nothing like QA and testing games, or even the game industry for that matter.

I hope you'll tell us the game and the details once it is released or atleast near release or else I'll hate you. ):<

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

I watched "Grandma's Boy" a few months ago. It was about a professional video game tester. It was silly and not realitic in most parts, but I was surprised how many things it got right about the gaming industry, at least from what I've heard.

What did "Grandma's Boy" get right about life in QA? I watched the movie, and I have 4+ years experience in QA, and that movie was nothing like QA and testing games, or even the game industry for that matter.

I didn't say it got QA right, I said it had some game industry stuff pegged. The whole boys club atmosphere with waaaay too many toys in their cubicles, and I swear that geeky lead designer was based on a character study of John Romero. The whole wannabe rockstar attitude totally reminded me of Wolfpack Studios before they went kaboom.

Plus, I'm guessing quite a few game testers live with their parents. It's not like they get paid a fortune. Correct me if I'm wrong, but are there a lot of testers in their 30's and 40's? It seems like a young man's game.

Yeah, it's a young man's game, but I don't think any of the testers live with their parents around here. With a room-mate, you could probably get by. I don't really know how the rents are this part of Orange County, but it's not a cheap area. I also can't speak for how QA works for other companies.

Don't worry, slug, I'm going to let you know the title, but after the project ends. I don't imagine I'll seek to remain for any other projects.... at least if my wife continues to express her current level of hostility to the project. Hell, she complains that, between two meals out a day and 2 1/2 tanks of gas a week, I could make less closer to home and net more money. haha

Obsidian Plays

Yeah, it's a young man's game, but I don't think any of the testers live with their parents around here. With a room-mate, you could probably get by. I don't really know how the rents are this part of Orange County, but it's not a cheap area. I also can't speak for how QA works for other companies.

Don't worry, slug, I'm going to let you know the title, but after the project ends. I don't imagine I'll seek to remain for any other projects.... at least if my wife continues to express her current level of hostility to the project. Hell, she complains that, between two meals out a day and 2 1/2 tanks of gas a week, I could make less closer to home and net more money. haha

Tell your wife you should get a motorcycle. The gas will save you a ton, and you will get to work faster through traffic. Also...why can't you brown bag your lunch?

I always love simple solutions on the internet. Ugh. Okay, that wasn't a slam, Hurl, but it just requires more explanation.

As to brown bagging it, that's something I really need to start doing. It's not only less expensive, but it's considerably healthier. Can't be anything I need to keep refrigerated, though. I'm in my car too long in the mornings and I don't feel like keeping it cold in the car for two hours just so my lunch stays at a good temperature.

As to the motorcycle, though, that's just not going to happen. I've brought up the motorcycle idea many, many times over the years. My wife is convinced I'll die in a hideous crash. She literally goes off the deep end if I push the subject.

Finally, the real problem isn't the expense anyhow. Her point, in full, is that I could take a job closer, making less money, have pretty much the same net income, and have time to spend with her during the week. I know you're married, so think of it as different paths by which she is attacking the current arrangement. The bottom line is time. If I could be home at or around when she gets home at night, then none of the rest would be an issue in the first place.

You know how it is when your spouse takes a dislike to something. As time progresses, she'll find more and more things that draw her ire.

So, unless you have a realistic idea for shaving a couple hours off my drive, I can't see what I can do at this point. ...And, to be clear, it's not like I enjoy having a 3 hour daily drive either.

Obsidian Plays

So, unless you have a realistic idea for shaving a couple hours off my drive, I can't see what I can do at this point. ...And, to be clear, it's not like I enjoy having a 3 hour daily drive either.

Fool Santa into believing it

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

I always love simple solutions on the internet. Ugh. Okay, that wasn't a slam, Hurl, but it just requires more explanation.

As to brown bagging it, that's something I really need to start doing. It's not only less expensive, but it's considerably healthier. Can't be anything I need to keep refrigerated, though. I'm in my car too long in the mornings and I don't feel like keeping it cold in the car for two hours just so my lunch stays at a good temperature.

As to the motorcycle, though, that's just not going to happen. I've brought up the motorcycle idea many, many times over the years. My wife is convinced I'll die in a hideous crash. She literally goes off the deep end if I push the subject.

Finally, the real problem isn't the expense anyhow. Her point, in full, is that I could take a job closer, making less money, have pretty much the same net income, and have time to spend with her during the week. I know you're married, so think of it as different paths by which she is attacking the current arrangement. The bottom line is time. If I could be home at or around when she gets home at night, then none of the rest would be an issue in the first place.

You know how it is when your spouse takes a dislike to something. As time progresses, she'll find more and more things that draw her ire.

I did a few contracts with commuting times of that length. They will eventually kill you.

My understanding from your epistolary comments, however, is that this was:

1. for the experience, which is something that people PAY to get;
  2. temporary.

I wouldn't argue with your wife, either. You won't win. But, I would get a motor bike. NOT a silly high-powered one, a cruiser. As long as you don't drive like a teenager in front of a group of girls, and avoid rain (if you can), you should be fine. But, you won't win that argument. I was just telling you what I would do, because I can. :cat:

Anyway, just reassure her that you won't be doing this job for long (seriously, if you last more than 12 months I will buy you a motor bike).

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I didn't say it got QA right, I said it had some game industry stuff pegged. The whole boys club atmosphere with waaaay too many toys in their cubicles, and I swear that geeky lead designer was based on a character study of John Romero. The whole wannabe rockstar attitude totally reminded me of Wolfpack Studios before they went kaboom.

Plus, I'm guessing quite a few game testers live with their parents. It's not like they get paid a fortune. Correct me if I'm wrong, but are there a lot of testers in their 30's and 40's? It seems like a young man's game.

I see what you mean. From a game development position, it was completely off. From the way they tested the games (take levels, find bugs, explain how to fix), and the fact he made an Xbox game at home without a PC, was just funny.

I have worked for a couple of companies now, and the are in either cubicles or sectioned off area for QA. But the amount of toys that is displayed in the movie is a bit dramatic. I dunno, I guess I didn't see that many similiarities.

Cheers!

Hehe, I was really just yanking your chain Cant. Don't get a motorcycle, you will die in a hideous crash. That's the entire reason I don't own one and don't plan on ever riding one. I flipped an ATV once, so I pretty much stay away from the big toys. My hockey skates get me into enough collisions.

I totally sympathize with the commute quandary. It takes me an hour to get to work and an hour to get home. I'm not sure how to handle the wife though, as I make the commute to earn more money, and we live where we do because my wife's family is nearby. Maybe you can talk to here about the long term goals of your current profession. Will you be able to telecommute a few days eventually? In between games is there any time off? With teaching, i just keep in mind I'm really only working about 200 days a year, but I realize that's a unique situation.

I can, however, suggest a simple lunch solution. Get a lunch box that allows you to put an ice pack in it. They are pretty cheap. I used one for a few years before I got a fridge in my classroom, and they keep everything nice and cool. And yes, it's cheap and healthy.

From the brief time I have spent in SoCal, I came to the opinion that many of the people with motorcycles there have a death wish. Apparantly, Cali is one of the few states that allow cycles to ride between lanes of traffic (i.e., on the dashed lines). I was quite startled several times waiting in traffic on the freeway when a motorcyclist whizzed by my window at a rather alarming speed. Driving like that can't come with a long life expectancy.

I'd get a motorcycle just for the gas savings alone. It would be faster, but I think it would be harder on the body too.

You know, I left the house at 7am this morning and I got home... well... now. haha Seriously, the days are long, but I actually enjoy the experience quite a bit. What I enjoy most is feeling that, even as a new QA guy, I can have a positive impact on the game. I enjoy seeing these people work because you really come to understand that it's a job. These are skilled folks working on product. From QA on up to the owners, these folks produce something in our society. ...And it's something worthwhile. It's something I would buy. I'm going to stave off waxing poetic for the time being. I can do that later.

BTW: Motorcycles can use the carpool lane and move inbetween cars in congested traffic here in Sunny Southern California. The idea behind carpool lanes is that they relieve congestion by encouraging multiple folks to use one vehicle. In addition, carpooling is supposed to be good for the environment. Motorcycles ostensibly serve both purposes. The reason motorcylces move between traffic lanes is because some of them are air cooled. They need to move while running.

Obsidian Plays

From the brief time I have spent in SoCal, I came to the opinion that many of the people with motorcycles there have a death wish. Apparantly, Cali is one of the few states that allow cycles to ride between lanes of traffic (i.e., on the dashed lines). I was quite startled several times waiting in traffic on the freeway when a motorcyclist whizzed by my window at a rather alarming speed. Driving like that can't come with a long life expectancy.

from what I'm told (I think Feng told me this actually) they zip by like that so that they don't get kilt by a car trying to swap lanes (which almost happened to my in my CAR from a guy in a jag...)

Edited by Calax

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Motorcyclists drive like that in No. Calif, too - and in Washington State, and Oregon ... I kinda thought it just an American universal thing, or something.

Lunches - there's those insulated soft-sided mini-coolers - meant for a six-pack, say - usually with a shoulder strap. Light and collapsable, and can put a resuable icepack in it, like mentioned. Found in cheap places like Thrifty's and Walmarts and such.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts