Most realistic FPS

Midget mime on a unicycle. Can't get more realistic than that.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I'm currently playing through ArmA right now. I'm doing night stealth operation, and was so focused on the mission that I think my heart skipped a beat when I got shot. Now that's intense.

Otherwise, as others have mentioned, Red Orchestra is very realistic. Now, granted, it's multiplayer-only and a PvP game. But never has an online FPS been as rewarding when you survived a round and lived to fight another day. You can definitely focus on your kill-death ratio if you want, since there are respawns, but you can also focus on staying alive at all costs. Getting kills once in a while is just a nice little bonus.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

OK, so I'm hearing ArmA and Red Orchestra?

Using my bargain bin capital I just picked up Full Spectrum Warrior, and Far Cry.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

OFP <--> ArmA and RO would be my two top choices in terms of realism in FPS. The setting (modern vs WW2) makes the two experiences quite different. Bolt-action rifles with bayonets are awesome, especially when you have to manually do it. The nice thing about RO is that it's 20 bucks on Steam.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Far Cry is hella fun, i'll give it that, but Hollywood fun.

I haven't downloaded ArmA yet. Probably give it a try tomorrow.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I still haven't completed the dowload, but I'dve gots ome more feedback:

Firstly, through the ArmA site I find:

http://www.simhq.com/_land/fps_021a.html

And secondly I found this review of ArmA itself:

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=73025

This suggests that the AI realy isn't that smart, or rather it may be clever, but its inhuman. It is also still capable of spotting you thousands of yards away and shooting with ridiculous accuracy. :down:

-Elwood Blues

FarCry is a nice dive into 80's blasters, like Commando and especially Predator. Not realistic, but suspension of disbelief is easy. It also has the best AI I've seen in shooters.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I downloaded ArmA, and boy was I unimpressed. It's like playing a shinier version of Op Flashpoint. I mean I love Op Flashpoint, but this sucks.

-Elwood Blues

This suggests that the AI realy isn't that smart, or rather it may be clever, but its inhuman. It is also still capable of spotting you thousands of yards away and shooting with ridiculous accuracy. :)

Hmm. I thought that was confirmed to be a "feature" only present in the pirated version of the game. Apparently the developers decided to put in some extra checks in the copy protection scheme which made the enemy soldier aims ridiculously accurate, your own aim ridiculously bad (I believe you could even accidentally shoot yourself!) and sometimes you were teleported into one of the birds circling above the battlefield.

I've played a bit of ArmA and even though the enemy soldiers aim a lot better than I do, it's not unrealistic. It is a very difficult game though. I'm stuck in a mission where I'm supposed to direct two Humvee's through a dark night and against enemy soldiers equipped with RPG's. I can barely control my own character and they want me to handle a whole platoon plus cars!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Id say Rainbow Six: Vegas is the best realistic shooter you can get now. The only other game that has a similar dodge-behind-cover system is Gears of War and its definently not realistic.

Don't bullets go THROUGH most "cover", e.g. cars ..?

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Its not even realistic in, you can see things over your head due to camera angle while the enemy couldn't see you. You want a realistic cover and dodge system, you add in the 'peek' action.

I'd still go for Brothers in Arms. It's a little like GRAW, with a more advanced squad control system. But in GRAW when your dude dies/gets hit you just run over to him and pick him up. In BiA when they die, they're dead for the rest of the level. It's also got a pretty good storyline too.

Paintballs hurts, got shot in the neck once I got KO.ed. But the referee insisted that the game continues on and I'm not killed since medics can only die when they get shot in the head, bleh.

Left quite a painful bruise on my neck with blood clotting up there for weeks.

Paintball costs a lot of money, and unlike Brothers in Arms I haven't found anywhere that will let me play in my jimjams, clutching a mug of coffee.

Brothers in Arms is going to get better when Hell's Highway comes in to model civilians, and lying prone.

-Elwood Blues

Deus Ex, with the REAL political plot ..!

yawn

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."