Real Breaking News: Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer

Sand

Well, Odyssey Engine is not too bad (you know, that modified Aurora which was used in kotors and JE)

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

The only thing I hope for is no orc cave or warehouse like massacreathons. I almost couldn't take it the first time, doing it again would be almost too much for me to actually handle.

Boss: You're fired.

Me: Ummm will you let me have my job if I dance for you?

Boss: No, I don't think so-

Me: JUST LET ME DANCE

*Dances*

Why do people take hype so personally? Geez.. People try to mkae it an international incident. Big deal. He's hyping the expansion. It's not the end of the world.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

The fact he said NWN2 was good game

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

It's Roshan, he or she has an unhealthy relationship when it comes to NWN2. But i understand it, i've experienced the Unreal 2 and Deus Ex 2-syndrome as well.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Difference here is, Roshan didn't like original NWN either :mellow:

Edited by Xard

Hes trying too hard to hype the expansion. Its blatantly obvious.

That was a pretty nuts-and-bolts interview. What's "hypey" about it?

I read it again and youre right. It was just the last line which left a bad impression in my mind.

When you're considering games for awards at the end of 2007, please don't group Mask of the Betrayer into the "expansion" category. =) Yeah, I'm pretty sure it will be priced as one and you do need the original game to play. But with both the quality and quantity of the new content, we can contend with the "full" titles for best RPG of 2007.

I have a different tact. there is lots of hype in that interview - words like epic, more impressive, etc., etc. litter the article; but know what? Big deal. It shouldn't matter, and it shouldn't be taken personally.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

The producer hypes the game? Good Lord, they should have fired him if he hadn't. He's the producer. What did you expect him to say? "Well, when you're looking at giving out game awards, remember this is just an expansion."

Now, I have yet a different outlook on this. The producer is not, at this time, trying to manage our expectations. That's a good sign, right? I dunno. Just an errant thought.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Hes trying too hard to hype the expansion. Its blatantly obvious.

That was a pretty nuts-and-bolts interview. What's "hypey" about it?

I read it again and youre right. It was just the last line which left a bad impression in my mind.

When you're considering games for awards at the end of 2007, please don't group Mask of the Betrayer into the "expansion" category. =) Yeah, I'm pretty sure it will be priced as one and you do need the original game to play. But with both the quality and quantity of the new content, we can contend with the "full" titles for best RPG of 2007.

Sounds to me like he's saying its not going to be a "short" or "minor" expansion, like some have called, oh say Shadow of Undrinetide or Heart of Winter. Which - if it turns out to be a fully rounded game in its own right - will be a fair comment I think.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

The producer hypes the game? Good Lord, they should have fired him if he hadn't. He's the producer. What did you expect him to say? "Well, when you're looking at giving out game awards, remember this is just an expansion."

someone in here once posted that developer comments are journalism, and that both sides of the story should be told by the developer. i.e., bioware (which was the example at the time) should post "equal time" links to all the problems with their games on their website. hehe... i recall saying something along the lines of "moron" in reply. :)

really my reply should be to remember a couple things:

advertising is not equal to news.

it is the responsibility of the buyer to research a product before purchasing it.

simply knowing where the source of the information originates, namely the developer/producer/publisher/related entity, should allow reasonable folks to draw reasonable conclusions as to the bias inherent in subjective matters such as advertising.

taks

Edited by taks

comrade taks... just because.

Could we get characters that try to cheat us and [Wisdom] checks to see if we can spot lies?

+ [Wisdom] checks to estimate whether we can pull off some bluffs of our own etc.

Edited by Atreides

Spreading beauty with my katana.

It sounds like one of the new npcs is going to be a monk polymorphed into a chicken.

What else would they need martial art chickens for?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Hahaha

That's one drumstick I'd like to see. Can you imagine the dinner you'd have?

Seriously, though, I thought charisma governed bluff. Now I'm not sure. I pretty much thought Charisma governed all of the discussion skills. (Diplomacy, Intimidate, and bluff). I usually create a smooth talking mage in my games, which is tough in DnD since Diplomacy is cross classed. On the other hand, Mages have tons of extra skill points and so you can have a decent diplomacy even if you can't ever peg it.

As far as wisdom goes, I think a lot of us would like to see the return of PS:T dialogue where all of our stats have somes sort of play. A lot of games have been doing more of this lately, it seems to me. The NWN franchise has been pretty good in this respect, even if imperfect.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Was thinking more of a Wisdom check to see if someone's pulling a fast one against us, or estimating (not trying yet) how successful we'd be in something. More Intel checks would make my mage feel smarter too.

Plus I'm kinda wondering what's player and dev feelings on saturation of these checks, whether used in dialogue and in-game situations (say pushing boulders off cliffs onto giants). Where's the point where players get fed up or take the checks for granted because there's "too many"?

For my part, I like a lot of skill checks, and I don't just mean in dialogue. 3.5 has a lot built into skill checks. In fact, I think they should be as important as feats during gameplay. So, for that reason, I don't think I'd get fed up with a lot of skill checks. What would irk me is if the skill check didn't make sense. Even worse, I would grow tired of checks that were thrown into dialogue just to use the skill and not because it adds to the game. I say have tons of checks, but include those checks where they would make sense. Since "meaningful" is the word of the day, I'd also make those checks meaningful in terms of the story and circumstances. DnD already has a skill check built into every merchant transaction. That's meaningful on a variety of levels. It not only grants a benefit to folks who invest in appraise, but is certainly appropriate in each use. It's not just thrown into the dialogue just as an opportunity to use some obscure skill.

Something that's easier for me to do in my PnP campaigns is to make all these skills meaningful. In a computer game, the design team must go out of their way to accomodate folks who want to spike their Diplomacy, Bluff, or Intimidate. They have to find some sensible way to include checks for tracking and survival. Since the roleplay side of the equation is simply never going to compete with a good PnP group, the design team has to find ways that make use of roleplaying skills and feats while making the experience seem natural.

so, I guess it all depends, ultimately, on how seamlessly the design team can incorporate the use of these skills in to the game world. If they seem natural, then I don't think we'll reach "too many" any time soon. If the skill checks appear artificial, then even a small number will jump out during gameplay.

Obsidian Plays