Real Breaking News: Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer

Sand

I'm kinda hoping for a second expansion, maybe set in the Moonsea, or the Shining South. Dunno what the chances of that are.

If you're not averse to user-made modules, you may want to keep an eye on Mysteries of the Moonsea: Melvaunt. It's one of the modules I'm most keeping my eyes on, as his screenshots are perhaps the most visually stunning I've seen come from NWN2, and he sounds like just a plain smart guy, who enjoys what he's doing.

Some images: Thar 01 02 City of Melvaunt 01 02

I'm kinda hoping for a second expansion, maybe set in the Moonsea, or the Shining South. Dunno what the chances of that are.

If you're not averse to user-made modules, you may want to keep an eye on Mysteries of the Moonsea: Melvaunt. It's one of the modules I'm most keeping my eyes on, as his screenshots are perhaps the most visually stunning I've seen come from NWN2, and he sounds like just a plain smart guy, who enjoys what he's doing.

Damn, that is pretty. But I wonder if the city will suffer from the same small-itis that Neverwinter suffered from.

From his blog.

We commonly call a good virtual landscape "eye candy," and sometimes criticize a game for having more "eye candy" than substance. This has always been a common criticism of Oblivion, for example. I've never liked the term "eye candy." It suggests that visuals are merely pretty, easily consumed, and even bad for you. The depreciation of the visual is hard for me to understand, considering how much labor and skill must go into a landscape of any sort for it to be attractive enough to make people think about it as anything besides the place where the "substance" of the game happens. Of course, a game lacking a central storyline or a good mechanical basis will not be saved by a good landscape, in my opinion; but, as graphics improve, the visual-aesthetic ante is upped by games willing to go the extra mile in this department. I don't mean merely in terms of graphical realism, but also in terms of how the landscape can create atmosphere, mood, etc., in a way that works in conjunction with the "substance" of the game rather than as something superfluous to it ("eye candy" again). The games of the future are bound to be more holistic experiences, like cinema--where an amalgam of different factors (acting, scenery, music, etc.) produces meaning and fun (enjoyment if you prefer)--just as today's game are far more holistic experiences than the games of even five or six years ago.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

QUOTE(Schazzwozzer @ Apr 15 2007, 03:22 AM) *

QUOTE(Pop @ Apr 15 2007, 02:15 AM) *

Damn, that is pretty. But I wonder if the city will suffer from the same small-itis that Neverwinter suffered from.

Wow... The moment I saw the first screenshot, I got stunned. NWN2 screenshots never manage to capture my feeling in that way before.

Its impressive, very atmospheric. Its wow.

RE: later chapter better then chap 1 in the OC

Well thats true for most works of literature. The first chapter is char development and back story filler to get you up to speed. The later chapters didn't have to do such and just fully thrust you into the plot full speed.

RE: the screens quality (or lack of)

erm.. seems to me (for whatever reason) AA has been turned down or off completely. The jaggies seems very noticeable and thus seems not all the FX options are on.

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

It can't.

A) It's supposed to be new IP

B) It's published by Sega, not Atari

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

That's bad...

What's bad about it?

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Yeah, graphical quality varies greatly. It's hard to believe these pics are from same game (not that I care about graphicses much that is)

post-15364-1176829889_thumb.jpg

post-15364-1176829963_thumb.jpg

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

They look about the same.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

I guess this expansios uses ending where

you didn't join with King of Shadows

Maybe, maybe not. We can only guess what the opening sequence might be.

Ending used has been revealed. Linky

NX1 story will assume some version of the ending in which the KoS was killed, and the temple collapsed around your party.

*Edit: not much point in preventing a spoil in the first instance and forgetting the second ... :)

Edited by metadigital
spoiler

Oops, sorry. :)

Now, this is far from 100 % reliable information, but this gives me small hope in that companions aren't forced.

In official forums there was topic about with what kind of character players are going to play expansion first time. So, this is JE's answer...

Posted 04/18/07 16:45 (GMT) by J.E. Sawyer

I'm going to continue with my Fighter/Sorcerer/Eldritch Knight/Neverwinter Nine. Solo because that's pro-stylez. :shades:

Of course this doesn't necessarily mean we won't get forced companions but hey, it's not prohibited to hope... :)

Yeah, graphical quality varies greatly. It's hard to believe these pics are from same game (not that I care about graphicses much that is)

Your dwarf is quite colorful..... :)

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Robes of the Sun order +X