Fallout 2

Say what? 12th level? I certainly recall getting higher than that when playing Fallout. Certainly in the range of 15-20 anyway. It's been ages though, but I'm pretty sure I didn't cap at 12. I'd also estimate gameplay hours in the vicinity of 20, at least when playing it for the first time. Possibly more.

The game is capped at level 21. However, in order to reach that you must do some XP hunts on the world map. I still usually end up somewhere between level 17-19 even when not XP hunting.

Overall, I like FO2 more. It's improves so many things: more weapons, more weapon upgrades, more quests, more Speech options (I always tag Speech in FO2), more sex, more (and better) joinable NPCs, more of everything and then some, really. Unfortunately that includes bugs too... (Although FO1 had actually more "talking heads"...)

While FO1 was more story-focused (and I actually liked the story more in the first game) and generally tighter I think it was a tad too short (on the other hand, FO2 might be a tad too long). Nevertheless, both are great games.

As for the manuals, I like when they're well-written and provide something else then a tutorial to how to play the game. The Fallout manuals are great.

Fallout manual :down:

Not sure if anyone remembers 'Knights of Legend' but it had a really great manual. Origin really put the effort in back before the Evil Empire took over.

Arcanum's manual was nice. I enjoyed the way it was written in that urbane, Victorian type way.

Arcanum had a cool manual. One of the things I liked about the Fallout manuals was some of the technical information about nuclear energy and the use of it in bombs, missiles.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

I like that manuals comes in electronic formats these days. And I like even more that I typically don't have to read them. Games should be good enough at explaining things in-game that I never have to look at the manual.

Amen.

The only thing worse than manuals taking up space were manuals with little pictures on every page that needed to be used as copy protection. Blergh.

Edited by Hell Kitty

Amen.

The only thing worse than manuals taking up space were manuals with little pictures on every page that needed to be used as copy protection. Blergh.

Quest for Glory 4: Shadows of Darkness had pizza recipe as its copy protection. At a certain point in the main quest, a mad scientist could only help you if you gave him the correct selection of ingredients for his pizza.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Does anyone remember the code wheel that you got in the Gold Box games? It was basically three round pieces of paper stapled together in the middle (so you could rotate them) and they were differently sized with the largest one at the back. You had to twist and turn those wheels according to some runes on the screen in order to get a keyword. You typed that keyword in and the copy protection would let you play. The problem was that the wheels were made of paper.. and you had to do that procedure every time you wanted to play the game. It didn't take long before the poor thing started falling apart and some parts became unreadable.

I'm glad they stopped doing copy protection like that, but at the same time I kind of miss those things in my game boxes.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Um... Yeah.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Because it is always fun to read the manual then play the game to see where the manual is wrong.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

There are still people who go on the BG and NWN boards and complain about combat being too hard, because they didn't know there was a pause button. I read the manual because I don't want to be one of those people.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

There are still people who go on the BG and NWN boards and complain about combat being too hard, because they didn't know there was a pause button. I read the manual because I don't want to be one of those people.

LOLZ

Manuals back then actually contained important information, now its nothing but a cheap small booklet with a few basics on how the game works.

2010spaceships.jpg

Quest for Glory 4: Shadows of Darkness had pizza recipe as its copy protection. At a certain point in the main quest, a mad scientist could only help you if you gave him the correct selection of ingredients for his pizza.

It was the formulae for the health and mana potions that required the correct ingredients - drawn from the five elemental groups of air, fire, earth, water and pizza. You didn't actually get to make freaky Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde pizzas until QfG5. ;)

Hmmm, that makes me want to play QfG again...

And hungry.

Do you people really read game manuals?

Of course! I mean, I know game designers try to make everything intuitive, bless them, but I like actually having some idea what I'm doing.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Do you people really read game manuals?

Of course! I mean, I know game designers try to make everything intuitive, bless them, but I like actually having some idea what I'm doing.

Nope I like figuring it all out for myself, one of the things I like about games.

But then again I tend not to read directions either.

My Fallout 2 game got cut short. I tried an unarmed build, but unfortunately I'm being picked apart by just about everyone with a basic pistol. For some reason they always seem to keep gettin 30 point criticals on me. D:

My Fallout 2 game got cut short. I tried an unarmed build, but unfortunately I'm being picked apart by just about everyone with a basic pistol. For some reason they always seem to keep gettin 30 point criticals on me. D:

Your answer is "psycho".

Now go.

Psycho eh? Go on. Tell me more of this "psycho." What does it do and more importantly, where can I find it?

Your answer is "psycho".

Now go.

Psycho eh? Go on. Tell me more of this "psycho." What does it do and more importantly, where can I find it?

Son, let me tell you, psycho is a rare and precious commodity. Nobody knows where it comes from, but by chance, anybody who sells drugs on the corner is bound to have some. It makes you fast, but it also makes you stupid. And all those arbitrary measurements of damage you take every time you get hit? Well, psycho makes it even more arbitrary. Save your game before you take it, cause you might get junkie disease, which is bad.

Nevertheless, one dose of the stuff will make you just about impervious to bullets of the 10mm variety, you'll take 0, 1 or 2 points of damage each hit, and it'll allow you to take more of any other kind of damage, but you won't be invincible. For example, in the Den there's a bar next to the Slaver's Guild. Punch the barman in the face until he is dead. On his body, you will find a syringe full of precious, precious psycho. Then walk into the Guild, take the psycho, and become their daddy. Take them to school in a van full of pain. Be forewarned that unless you hook up whoever it is you're with, they'll be vulnerable to all the bullets bouncing off of you. Repeat where and when necessary. It don't pack quite as much power later on in the game, but once you get your power armor it becomes obsolete anyhow.

I think game manuals are totally pointless and a waste of paper. Games are best learned hands-on, with in-game tutorials. The only case when it makes sense to place a manual in the box is if you have a lot of long charts and tables (D&D) that are not shown in the game.

Your answer is "psycho".

Now go.

Be careful, its highly addicting.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Your answer is "psycho".

Now go.

Be careful, its highly addicting.

Regardless of your normal DR (psycho enhanced or not), criticals can, do, and will, bypass that and inflict full damage anyway.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Your answer is "psycho".

Now go.

Son, let me tell you, psycho is a rare and precious commodity. Nobody knows where it comes from, but by chance, anybody who sells drugs on the corner is bound to have some. It makes you fast, but it also makes you stupid. And all those arbitrary measurements of damage you take every time you get hit? Well, psycho makes it even more arbitrary. Save your game before you take it, cause you might get junkie disease, which is bad.

Nevertheless, one dose of the stuff will make you just about impervious to bullets of the 10mm variety, you'll take 0, 1 or 2 points of damage each hit, and it'll allow you to take more of any other kind of damage, but you won't be invincible. For example, in the Den there's a bar next to the Slaver's Guild. Punch the barman in the face until he is dead. On his body, you will find a syringe full of precious, precious psycho. Then walk into the Guild, take the psycho, and become their daddy. Take them to school in a van full of pain. Be forewarned that unless you hook up whoever it is you're with, they'll be vulnerable to all the bullets bouncing off of you. Repeat where and when necessary. It don't pack quite as much power later on in the game, but once you get your power armor it becomes obsolete anyhow.

Speaking of game manuals, this should have been a quote from the Fallout 2 manual. :)

My god man! Bringing fists to a gun fight!? Are you mad? :aiee:

:)

Edited by Dark_Raven

2010spaceships.jpg