Fallout 2

LOLZ Reminds me when I fought them unarmed, I did targeted groin shots on them. Seeing them falling over was funny. :aiee:

I ran into a group of three of them while wandering around. I would have stayed to fight them, but the first hit was a fire breath that did about 40 damage. I only had 60HP. :) I ran as fast as I could.

The only case when it makes sense to place a manual in the box is if you have a lot of long charts and tables (D&D) that are not shown in the game.

Or you can just show them in the game.

That's like having the game tell you "this is a game". Destroys the illusion that the game is something more. Of course, FO2 managed to have plenty of moments where it manages to tell you it's a game but I prefer when games don't do that.

Well, you don't have to show them all the time. I just meant that you could have them available in the game for reference. Basically like Civilopedia in the Civ games, or how ToEE did it (buggy mess as it may have been, the documentation available inside the game was fantastic).

Just saying that when I'm leveling up a character (or at character creation) I really hate having to find the manual to see requirements for feats currently not available to me. Or how adding points to this or that ability will affect my characters long term progress. That if anything destroys the illusion for me.

There are still people who go on the BG and NWN boards and complain about combat being too hard, because they didn't know there was a pause button. I read the manual because I don't want to be one of those people.

Those people are idiots who missed their flight straight into the sun's core, along with any other radioactive sludge we still haven't gotten rid of. Baldur's Gate had several NPCs in Candlekeep pointing out that you could PAUSE the game. Baldur's Gate 2 had a separate tutorial area that brought this up as well. Neverworking Right probably mentioned this at some point though it's been a while and on replays, I almost always skip the Academy anyway so I don't remember.

A lot of people couldn't find Caius Cosades, the Imperial Spymaster who starts the Main Quest in Morrowind. This despite the fact they were told by 3 seperate NPCS how to find him and had set of directions and a map placed in their inventory.

I guess the devs got tired of the whining from said fans, and ergo: the little red pointy compass!

Being observant and paying attention is not a requirment for gaming. rightly or wrongly, I don't know.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

LOLZ Reminds me when I fought them unarmed, I did targeted groin shots on them. Seeing them falling over was funny. :teehee:

I ran into a group of three of them while wandering around. I would have stayed to fight them, but the first hit was a fire breath that did about 40 damage. I only had 60HP. :mellow: I ran as fast as I could.

With a good unarmed build, you are invisible half the time and crushing skulls when not.

My fondest memories is kicking the Modoc "big chicken" in the eyes, causing it to go permanently blind and then proceeding to hit it till it fell. The poor bastard tried to run away, but I blocked the only exit out of the shed.

Another is sneaking to an enclave patrol and showing them what bloody mess really means.

With an unarmed build, you won't get much variety to the fights, but it is damn powerful. Not to mention the fuzzy feeling of beating power-armored folks wielding military-grade assault weaponry with just your bare fists.

Man, only in Fallout 2.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I've run into those power armour jerks a few times while passing through the area. Running into them usually means instant reload as for some reason they all react faster than I do. >_< I have a feeling that my unarmed build is really weak, but it's been moderately fun so far. It's not the cakewalk that small guns/energy weapons is. :)

If it gets hard, try and find a mega powerfist. That evens the odds quite a bit. Of course, that's not truly an "unarmed build", is it?

Truth to be told, I used knuckledusters and such a lot about halfway(11 to 14) through my build. Some encounters are almost impossible without them before you have rounded out your skills enough to do more than just punch people in the face. Speaking, sneaking and sciencing help a long way. Not to mention you can spend much more points to them because you don't have to worry about losing points that could be put to gun skills.

Superbly intelligent and knowledgeable asskicker is a very viable build. You don't need so much perception or strength with unarmed, so that means more points to go around as well.

I just loved playing with that build: not my favorite character by far(that goes to the smooth-taking pistolero, a walking cliche I made), but very fun.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

I've run into those power armour jerks a few times while passing through the area. Running into them usually means instant reload as for some reason they all react faster than I do. >_< I have a feeling that my unarmed build is really weak, but it's been moderately fun so far. It's not the cakewalk that small guns/energy weapons is. :)

I like encountering them. I even make it a point ot randomly travel the area so I can get those encounters. By the time I am there I am well armored and well armed. I gain phat l00t off their corpses and experience points.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

I've run into those power armour jerks a few times while passing through the area. Running into them usually means instant reload as for some reason they all react faster than I do. >_

Why don't you post a screenie of your character sheet?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

scr00000xe5.jpg

I'm a pathetic little weakling who has no reason to be fighting enclave. I'd been just running around not doing much, but then I hit the third "our village is dying message" and I still didn't have the GECK yet, so I took a beeline south. I spent too much time sleeping. Kept using rest until healed to save money on healing.

Edited by Deraldin

Well, try to avoid the Enclave until you get the power armor. Also, you didn't go with the best choice of perks, but that's not too serious. Other than that, you should not have a lot of problems with that build. That the only thing that should bother you are enemy criticals.

If you're thinking of restarting, try to get perks that enhance your HtH fighting, and give you more action points. That should make things a bit easier.

Heja Sverige!!

Get action boy, more luck and especially sneak.

That is a build destined to failure.

kirottu said:

Luck? I finished Fallout 2 with an unarmed build that had 3 luck, and it never affected me a whole lot.

Heja Sverige!!

Criticals are fun. That's a good argument, right?

Right?

kirottu said:

OMG! Your gun stats are nonexistent. :o

That's a level or two of skills in repair, two or three in speech, and the rest in unarmed.

You're not going to live long in the brutal wastelands. :)

Hey, I've already lived about 6 months in the wasteland. It's nearly the end of February. :yes:

Isn't Luck 6 required for Slayer? Playing an unarmed character without access to Slayer just seems wrong to me.

(Fortunately, Luck can be increased in the game, so all is not lost. And I don't mean the perk)

Isn't Luck 6 required for Slayer? Playing an unarmed character without access to Slayer just seems wrong to me.

(Fortunately, Luck can be increased in the game, so all is not lost. And I don't mean the perk)

Slayer needs agility and strength 8. There is also an unarmed % requirement, but it's low enough that you probably start higher. Also you can only get it at level 24+.

There are a couple of perks that require LU 6 but Slayer isn't one of them... Toughness, Better Criticals and Bonus Ranged Damage comes in mind.

Fair enough. But Better Criticals is also very good for any combat oriented character to have, so a Luck of 6 is still a good thing (which ironically enough means that a power gamer would have a Luck of 4 at the start of the game).

Fair enough. But Better Criticals is also very good for any combat oriented character to have, so a Luck of 6 is still a good thing (which ironically enough means that a power gamer would have a Luck of 4 at the start of the game).

I usually start with 6. It's nice to have 8 when you get Sniper. Besides, if you're going to take it Better Crits at level 9 you might (will probably) NOT have +2 to LU yet...