What are you playing now?

Darque

Yeah, I remember when Halo came out on the PC, it recieved a very lukewarm reception as well. Of course the key to Volologic is that personal opinions and preferences are wrong, so we better end this discussion before we are Volofied in a court of law.

"1. Maybe the controller is preferable to a mouse and keyboard for this user, and they don't want to buy a PC controller."

Not the game's fault. By a controller.

I could do that. Though, at this point, it's not worth it to me.

When I talk about the experience of playing a game on a computer versus a console, I'll use each system's default interface, a keyboard and mouse for a computer and a controller for an X-Box. That's not to say that using a controller for a computer game is bad or inferior idea.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Hurlshot:

"1. Maybe the controller is preferable to a mouse and keyboard for this user, and they don't want to buy a PC controller."

It depends on the game. I'd say that keyboard and mouse isn't as nice as a controller for this game. For instence, if I wanted to roll to the left on the X-box, I would press the left stick to the left and tap the X. On the keyboard, I have to double tap the A. This means that if I'm already moving left (holding A down), I have to stop then double tap. And I've found that 50% of the time, my character will just move left a step instead of rolling, and I have to double tap it again to get the roll to happen.

Likewise, I try to keep my ring, middle, and index finger on the A,W,D keys while fighting. The game 'locks on' to a single opponent at a time. On the controller, I squeezed the right or left trigger to change what opponent I focused on. On the keyboard, I have to tap the TAB key, but my pinky hovers over the CAPS key. When my brain says, "tap the TAB key" my hand responds by trying to lift my fingers from the A,W,D so my ring finger can tap it. Failing that, it twists slightly, letting the pinky flail as best it can and sometimes hitting the TAB key, but other times hitting the CAPS.

Of course, this doesn't compare to the pain of stealth games where you have to hold down the SHIFT or CTRL button for long periods.

Given that many appear to be comfortable with this set up, I wonder if my pinky might just be stubby and weak.

How strange I find that the PC version feels alot better for me, a hell of alot better the control method is clear, it's intuitive. Then again I hate controllers.

"2. Maybe they have a nice HDTV that thier monitor doesn't compare to."

I have a regulare TV, but perhaps the graphics don't like my ATI Radeon.

Another odd one... Not only does the game look better on my PC, but the game looks better than the cutscenes.

"4. Maybe, after almost 2 years, the user feels the game is showing its age."

That might be it. I still remember every quest and side quest as well, so there's little new to entice me.

Kinda silly to buy the PC version if you have played and finished the XBOX version, or even own it.

Why buy a port of something you already own? (General question to everyone)

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

Yeah, I remember when Halo came out on the PC, it recieved a very lukewarm reception as well. Of course the key to Volologic is that personal opinions and preferences are wrong, so we better end this discussion before we are Volofied in a court of law.

Halo PC is one of the (two) grudges I have against Gearbox. Two new superweapons added to multiplayer. I do kind of like the rocket warthog, though.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Well, JE's controls are really bad on the PC. After playing it on the PC for few hours I decided to start a new game on my XBOX. Besides, despite its aged visuals it's a demanding game. Especially during combats.

Anyway, I felt the "ported-nature" of the JE: SE every minute while I was playing it. Not just the controls or the lagginess. It just didn

Edited by karka
centinexx.png

Halo PC is one of the (two) grudges I have against Gearbox. Two new superweapons added to multiplayer. I do kind of like the rocket warthog, though.

The PC version of Halo only enforced the truth about the game, in that it is a steaming turd of a game.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

Well, JE's controls are really bad on the PC. After playing it on the PC for few hours I decided to start a new game on my XBOX. Besides, despite its aged visuals it's a demanding game. Especially during combats.

Anyway, I felt the "ported-nature" of the JE: SE every minute while I was playing it. Not just the controls or the lagginess. It just didn

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

The PC version of Halo only enforced the truth about the game, in that it is a steaming turd of a game.

Online was fairly fun without those weapons. Sniping people with a pistol. haha

Or that you just don't have friends aka co-op.

The single-player is stupid, and so is anyone who actually rates the game by it.

Co-op+couch+beverages=instawin.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Kinda silly to buy the PC version if you have played and finished the XBOX version, or even own it.

Why buy a port of something you already own? (General question to everyone)

Might I suggest, based on the "I hate controllers" statement, that your evaluation of the interface on the PC versus the X-Box version might have a moderate to significant bias?

As for the graphics, as I've said, I have a Ratheon. The developers on the tech support page have stated they took away some of the game's graphic options from that family of cards because of the number of difficulties they encountered with it. As such, it's quite possible I'm not getting the optimal PC visual experience.

In answer to your question, I do so to support a game I enjoy in the hopes of seeing a sequel, and to support a publisher's/developer's decision to port to PC.

What do you think about HALO as an example of its genre?

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Musopticon:

"Or that you just don't have friends aka co-op."

My experiences with PvP were less that superb. Not only was I constantly beaten by someone a decade younger than myself, but I found I tend to use obscenities, which is not good when you're babysitting a 9 year old and a 14 year old.

Edited by Maria Caliban

Musopticon:

"Or that you just don't have friends aka co-op."

My experiences with PvP were less that superb. Not only was I constantly beaten by someone a decade younger than myself, but I found I tend to use obscenities, which is not good when you're babysitting a 9 year old and a 14 year old.

Co-op isn't PvP. Co-op is like two person single player. :sweat:

Halo PC is the worst port of all time. "Hay guys, let's take out the best feature from the game!!!!"

Coop > all.

Taken on its own, Halo is probably an average FPS. The controller was awkward at first, and in terms of raw effectiveness, has nothing on the kb/mouse. None of it matters though when you're actually playing it coop in Legendary mode. It's probably been my most enjoyable FPS experience yet, despite all its inherent flaws. Consider me a believer. Now, I wouldn't even take a PC version even if it had coop. The couch argument is surprisingly compelling. It adds to the coop experience.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Hey, that's an idea.

I might actually pass the game for the first time.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I thought Okami was an adventure game. That's what I recalled it being listed as. What is this talk of dying?

Edit: Oh, it's action/adventure? Been thinking of picking it up.

Edited by Tale