Top 25 PC Games of All Time

Xard

What about Q-Basic Gorillas and Scorched Earth? Nothing beats Scorched Earth.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

X-Com is teh boring. I didn't play UFO defense, but I played Apocalypse.

That's like saying "I haven't ever seen Heidi Klum, but she's ugly. I saw a picture of her husband Seal, so she's clearly a dog".

Not that I dislike Seal or Apocalypse but seriously, they aren't in the same league.

Also, Max Payne and Mafia should have been on that list. Especially, Mafia.

I disagree about Max Payne, but Mafia definetly should've been there. Preferably in top ten.

Too bad my Mafia stopped working after park hall mission. :sad:

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Why should WoW be off it? It's a PC game and it's hugely popular. It's actually hugely important to PC gaming at this time as well. With a new generation of consoles coming out, you always see a dip in the focus that game companies give to the PC. But WoW's financial boom makes the PC hard to ignore as a gaming platform. Sure, it means we get a flood of mediocre MMO's, but it also helps other genres for the PC. We need succesful PC franchises in order to convince publishers to take a chance on our market.

You no lifers, two pages since I last posted last night.

Whats so great about the Civ games?

Any game where you can start playing at 5PM, say "I'll just play for a half hour" Then next thing you know its 6AM either has some sort of crazy hypnotic suggestions built in, or is super awesome.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Hmm, I played "X-COM: UFO Defense" some time in the distant past and I remember it being unbearably boring... :devil:

Did you notice that not a single soul on this board has debated having Xcom as number 1 on the list? I mean, you would think that the number one spot would be the most controversial. But it's not, it's just common sense that Xcom is there. I would reconsider your purpose in life, if I were you.

*starts reconsidering his purpose in life and tries to search for it's true meaning*

Well, actually I think that younger gamers, who didn't play "X-COM: UFO Defense" in it's age, wouldn't consider it as good as it may be for those who did. Anyway I don't really like strategy games. They bore me easily.

Edited by Istima Loke

I think therefore I am?

Could be!

Or is it really someone else

Who only thinks he's me?

I remember playing the demo of terror from the deep and thinking it was super hard, but neat.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I'm playing Halo ATM. It's boring and lifeless. Tried playing Sacred. It, too, was boring and lifeless. DOTA keeps me occupied for hour bursts at a time but it's getting kind of boring and lifeless. Why do games suck so much these days? It's not 'cause I'm getting older; there's seriously a difference between old games like AOE2, Half-Life 1, IWD, FO, Deus Ex... and the **** they churn out these days. I can understand the majority being crap... but ALL of them? No gleaming gems amongst the darkness? I haven't played NWN2 yet so maybe that's the gem - but it's still only one game in hundreds.

I have a feeling it's because of the push for new graphics. The more focus placed on that, the more shallow the game. Now of course you'd expect this to be true, but the fact that every single game has shown this shift is disturbing.

Haha you sound so old school, miss u karzak :*

Old school? 6'8" Italian Warlord was old school.

I'm not Karzak. Now go away.

I disagree about Max Payne, but Mafia definetly should've been there. Preferably in top ten.

Mafia should have been there. I'm still stuck in the prison, but even I can see it's a great game.

As for my top:

1.Thief 1

2.Thief 2

3.Icewind Dale 2

4.Deus Ex

5.BG 2

6.The Longest Journey

7.Mafia

8.Settlers 2

9.Dark Crusade

10.Fallout 2

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Ok, here's my list. I tried to be as objective as possible. Yes, I loathe RTS and MMO games but that doesn't mean StarCraft and Wow are bad games, right?

In no particular order:

Fallout Series

Baldur's Gate Series

Mafia

Max Payne 1

StarCraft

Dune 2

Doom

Half Life

MoO 2

Civ 2

Monkey island - Lechuck's Revenge

Grim Fandango

Deus Ex

System Shock 2

WoW

Diablo

Operation Flashpoint

The Sims

Unreal Tournament Series

TES: Daggerfall

Heroes of M&M 3

Might and Magic VI

Alone In The Dark Series (except the 4th one)

Thief series (except the 3rd one)

Xcom

centinexx.png

I think WoW is on the list as the token MMORPG. It's there for the same reason Oblivion is: it's new, dumbed down and popular! They should've put Ultima Online and/or Everquest there instead, seeing as they were much more influental in the genre and actually innovative instead of just upping production values and polish on the same old same old. Or the original Neverwinter Nights, Meridian 59, the Realm etc etc but innovative as they were, I don't really see any of them as the best PC games ever.

Overall I'm very much surprised. I expected nothing less than the last 5 Maddens in top 10 and a full top 25 of EA's games. There's a lot more genuinely good games than overrated crap on the list. Who would've honestly thought IGN, the poster child for all that is wrong with gaming journalism, of all people would name Xcom as the best PC game ever? Still, nothing from the Ultima series!? It's not like anyone actually takes these lists seriously, especially coming from IGN, but not mentioning any of the Ultimas seems like a major oversight.

Mafia should have been there. I'm still stuck in the prison, but even I can see it's a great game.

Yeah, only flaw I met in this game were stupid car race mission. That's all I had to whine about game up to the point I got. And from what I've heard game definetly won't get worse after that mission.

Slaughter at church kicks so much ass :*

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Ok, here's my list. I tried to be as objective as possible. Yes, I loathe RTS and MMO games but that doesn't mean StarCraft and Wow are bad games, right?

In no particular order:

Fallout Series

Baldur's Gate Series

Mafia

Max Payne 1

StarCraft

Dune 2

Doom

Half Life

MoO 2

Civ 2

Monkey island - Lechuck's Revenge

Grim Fandango

Deus Ex

System Shock 2

WoW

Diablo

Operation Flashpoint

The Sims

Unreal Tournament Series

TES: Daggerfall

Heroes of M&M 3

Might and Magic VI

Alone In The Dark Series (except the 4th one)

Thief series (except the 3rd one)

Xcom

People seem to get very confused between "Top __ __ Games of All Time" and "Top __ __ Games of Their Own Time." Doom was cool once upon a time, but it no longer should be considered one of the top games of all time any more than Pong.

I don't know about that. From the time the demo hit and crashed its hosting server, up until Quake's debut, Doom was the Jaws of PC Gaming, its first blockbuster and what everybody thought of when they considered PC gaming at all. It's also the forebear of every other FPS on the list, with maybe the exception of System Shock. It's still fun for me, so the only reason I'd consider dropping it is its age, but then I'd have to drop plenty of other great games, including the #1.

See, everything you're mentioning for Doom is relative to the period it was released in. When I see a list "of all time" I'm thinking it should all be relative to now, otherwise you're talking "best of their own time" or "most influential of all time."

It's also that same reasoning that should put Counter-Strike up there, actually. Since it's still the most played FPS on the internet and not only did it crash servers with its distribution, people got arrested for hosting it on ISP webspace.

Edited by Tale

Someone needs to make a Deekin mod for Doom.

DOOM! Doomidy DOOM!

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

When it comes to FPS games, Doom deserves to be on that list. Not F.E.A.R or Crysis. Personally, I'm not a Doom fan. Actually, my fave. list would be quite different than that list. I'd replace Doom and Half Life with TRON 2.0 and NOLF.

centinexx.png

X-Com is teh boring. I didn't play UFO defense, but I played Apocalypse.

That's like saying "I haven't ever seen Heidi Klum, but she's ugly. I saw a picture of her husband Seal, so she's clearly a dog".

Not that I dislike Seal or Apocalypse but seriously, they aren't in the same league.

Dude, the differences between the game and its sequel is not the same as differences between men and women; if a game has boobs then its sequel has boobs as well!!