S.t.a.l.k.e.r.: Shadow of Chernobyl (impressions video inside)

Lare Kikkeli

I did beat the game before the patch fixed degredation. It's nowhere near as bad as I figured it would be with condition going down. I keep coming across armor every place I go. I was carrying around a Merc Suit, two bandit suits, and a Stalker suit by the time I hit Bar and I had another bandit suit in storage somewhere in Garbage. I only felt the need to change armor once before that time.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I disagree... Stalker has an emphisis on realism, well it's trying to recreate a more realistic experience. I am not claiming that it does.

It doesn't. And the way weapons and armor break down is in no way realistic. Nor is the amount of hits you can take before going down. Or the amount of enemies you routinely beat open combat. So trying to argue for armor and weapon degradation by playing the "realism" card just doesn't fly with me.

I do agree that the comparison to Oblivion is a tad flawed though, as in the two systems aren't really that much alike mechanically. But the net effect stays the same. Both system adds tedium to the game. And while the armor adds a degree of difficulty, I'm not sure I think the weapons do. It's easy enough to just loot "healthier" versions of good enough weaponry from the opposition. At least with armors, you've got to run back to a trader/stash to get a replacement (which means fewer replacements).

In the end, I think there are better ways to both increase game difficulty and make the barter system actually mean something. And there are definitely better ways of making the game more realistic. Provided those are the goals with the degradation system.

But for those who do like, I'm happy for you. I don't need every game to be catered to my tastes specifically and I do still think Stalker is an excellent game. Won't make my top 5 list as it did for Crashgirl, hell I don't even think it'll make my list of top 5 shooters, although it is kinda borderline.

I disagree... Stalker has an emphisis on realism, well it's trying to recreate a more realistic experience. I am not claiming that it does.

It doesn't. And the way weapons and armor break down is in no way realistic. Nor is the amount of hits you can take before going down. Or the amount of enemies you routinely beat open combat. So trying to argue for armor and weapon degradation by playing the "realism" card just doesn't fly with me.

I am not claiming that it does.

I am saying why it's there, it doesn't mean that it is implemented correctly, but it does effect the gameplay outside of "this is broke need a new one". My thoughts are more in regards to weapons.

It also stops the game from literally being "Just another FPS", It would be closer to being "Just another FPS" is those rules were removed entirely. But I will go as far as to say they do need rebalancing.

But then again, I'm an odd one I miss food in RPG's.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

I did beat the game before the patch fixed degredation. It's nowhere near as bad as I figured it would be with condition going down. I keep coming across armor every place I go. I was carrying around a Merc Suit, two bandit suits, and a Stalker suit by the time I hit Bar and I had another bandit suit in storage somewhere in Garbage. I only felt the need to change armor once before that time.

Its worse when you get beyond the brain scorcher. There is only one SEV and one SP99 suit in the whole game and two Exoskeletons(one more can be bought from freedom i think if you want the entire duty faction after you), and you cant carry more than one if you want to carry enough ammo and a second gun. frustrating to say the least.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I am saying why it's there, it doesn't mean that it is implemented correctly, but it does effect the gameplay outside of "this is broke need a new one". My thoughts are more in regards to weapons.

And I'm just saying that if realism is the reason it's included and realism isn't achieved it's a faulty implementation.

Also note that I don't disagree with the weapons degrading. That does another tactical element to the game, although somewhat miniscule. Armors degrading I still think was uncalled for and for me it adds nothing but tedium really. On the other hand it's given me plenty of enjoyment out of discussing how crappy it is on a message board, so it can't be all bad.

;)

I have found weapon breakage and repair annoying in a few games so I understand what you are saying about tedium, Spider.

I remember in Might and Magic 6 many of the high level monsters you faced had either Break Weapon or Break Item special attacks, so there was a chance (and a pretty good one, too) that a combat hit would break either a character's weapon or an item they were wearing. So that meant at the start of every turn you had to look at all your character paper dolls to see if anything was broken. If they had a good enough repair skill they could repair it themselves, but if they didn't then you had to transfer the item to the inventory of another character with a high enough skill to make the repair then transfer it back to the original character and requip. And only after doing that about 5 or 6 times could you actually start your combat turn. Now THAT was annoying!

I guess some of it is just how much one can tolerate of tasks like that and if they rub you the wrong way.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I'm reading Roadside Picnic at the moment (the book S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is loosely based on), and i'm thinking about buying a new computer just for this game now :blink:

I don't get though why they changed the setting to Chernobyl instead of the original UFO visiting site, i think it's been pretty much proved that radiation doesnt really produce any cool mutations, just deadly ones.

I'm reading Roadside Picnic at the moment (the book S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is loosely based on), and i'm thinking about buying a new computer just for this game now :blink:

I don't get though why they changed the setting to Chernobyl instead of the original UFO visiting site, i think it's been pretty much proved that radiation doesnt really produce any cool mutations, just deadly ones.

I think it's been pretty much proved that UFO visiting sites don't produce any cool mutations, just result from schizophrenics and hillbillies.

I think it's been pretty much proved that UFO visiting sites don't produce any cool mutations, just result from schizophrenics and hillbillies.

Dude, haven't you seen the x-files? Thats proof for you right there.

Dude, haven't you seen the x-files? Thats proof for you right there.

I think it's more QED for my statement.

Quod Erat Demonstrandum.

Can I join?

Edit: Or perhaps he meant Quantum ElectroDynamics.

Edited by Pidesco

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Hey, meta, I've got your first assignment for you right here!

What's "I want people to think I'm intelligent, therefore I quote Latin" in Latin?

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

ab abusu ad usum non valet consequentia, or (more specifically): :)

Also, back on topic.

Is the armour degradation on a sliding scale? Can it be adjusted, or is it just modded off (so far)?

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

http://www.gsc-game.com/index.php?t=press&...s_rel&ss=14

GSC Game World will present new titles in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. line-up at E3 2007

After the successful completion of S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl, GSC Game World continues its work on the series. The studio is about to announce several subsequent new products in the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. universe already at the upcoming E3 Media & Business Summit-2007 to take place July 11-13 in Santa Monica.

"We are very happy of the players' positive reaction to S.T.A.L.K.E.R. all over the world. This fills us with confidence the team is on the right track and adds us strength to go for next exciting accomplishments. It will be very soon that we present our new interesting ideas and solutions", said GSC Game World's CEO Sergiy Grygorovych.

We invite everyone interested to visit the stand of GSC Game World in Barker Hangar, booth #426.

Well, if they are adding an expansion, then better chance for another patch. so that's good.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

STALKER 2, now with vehicles, player stats (like a RPG) and a true open-ended world!!

One can dream.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I was thinking an expansion in the near future and a new game in the far future. That would be ideal. If there's no xpack planned for the current game, then I would guess we have seen the last of any patches. Don't think they would spend time on STALKER any more than is neccessary if they are already pushing onward.

And I'm just saying that if realism is the reason it's included and realism isn't achieved it's a faulty implementation.

Also note that I don't disagree with the weapons degrading. That does another tactical element to the game, although somewhat miniscule. Armors degrading I still think was uncalled for and for me it adds nothing but tedium really. On the other hand it's given me plenty of enjoyment out of discussing how crappy it is on a message board, so it can't be all bad.

:ermm:

Armour degredation is probably something left over from it's (pure)FPS roots.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me