Astronaut on murder plot charge

Deadly_Nightshade

A US astronaut accused of attacking a woman she considered competition for the affection of a shuttle pilot has been charged with attempted murder.

Earlier a Florida court had ordered that Navy Capt Lisa Nowak, 43, who was facing charges of attempted kidnapping and battery, could be freed on bail.

However, the introduction of the more serious charge that she intended to murder Colleen Shipman reverses that.

A mother of three, Capt Nowak flew on the space shuttle Discovery last July.

Airport interception

The man at the centre of the love triangle was said to be Navy Cmdr William Oefelein, who was a pilot on the Discovery's mission to the space station in December.

Though he and Capt Nowak never flew on the same mission, they did train together.

According to her written police statement, Capt Nowak described her attachment to Cmdr Oefelein as "more than a working relationship but less than a romantic relationship".

Capt Nowak is understood to have thought that Ms Shipman was romantically involved with Cmdr Oefelein.

So, when she heard that her rival was due to fly from Texas to Florida, she decided to drive the 1,000 miles (1,600km) from her home in Houston to Orlando International Airport to intercept and confront her.

Capt Nowak told police she had not wanted to harm Ms Shipman, just wanting to scare her rival into talking about her relationship with Cmdr Oefelein.

To avoid toilet breaks during the long drive to Orlando, Capt Nowak wore an adult nappy - such as astronauts wear during shuttle launches and landings - and she disguised herself with a wig, dark glasses and a trench coat.

Pepper spray

Once at the airport she waited for Ms Shipman to arrive and then followed her onto an airport shuttle bus which dropped Ms Shipman at her car.

According to a police affidavit, Ms Shipman says she became aware that someone was following her and so hurried into the vehicle and locked the doors.

Capt Nowak reportedly banged on the car window and asked for a lift, and then to use Ms Shipman's mobile phone.

Ms Shipman refused, but rolled down the window when Capt Nowak began to cry.

Ms Shipman was then attacked with pepper spray, the statement says. She managed to drive to a car park booth and police were called.

An officer followed Capt Nowak and she was stopped allegedly carrying the wig, an air rifle, a steel mallet, rubber tubing, dustbin bags, black gloves and a knife.

A search of her vehicle revealed pepper spray and e-mails between Ms Shipman and Cmdr Oefelein, as well as Ms Shipman's home address and hand written directions to the house, police said.

Bail hearing

Earlier on Tuesday, Capt Nowak appeared before a Florida court via video link from an Orange Country jail.

Orange County Circuit Judge Mike Murphy ordered that she be released on condition that she pay a $15,500 (

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Where are the women like this when I was looking? Sheesh.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I just read about this on yahoo news. Said she wore diapers for the 950 mile drive so she wouldn't have to stop for bathroom breaks... well prepared indeed.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

"An officer followed Capt Nowak and she was stopped allegedly carrying the wig, an air rifle, a steel mallet, rubber tubing, dustbin bags, black gloves and a knife."

At least she was well prepared.

She forgot te flame thrower "just in case"

(I know you don't get it... if you did you'd have read "Identity Crisis" from DC comics) 8)

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Sometimes people do the strangest things. Never expect rational thought in matters of the heart.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Where are the women like this when I was looking? Sheesh.

Orbit, apparently.

Y'know, when I asked that one chick why she couldn't go out with me last Saturday, I thought she was only saying that as an excuse.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I saw the pictures and thought "Is this some devious plot to convince any aliens we meet that they should stay the hell away?"

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.