I don't get Christianity because.

Purgatorio

I like Hinduism. I don't get Christianity.

I'm curious, what exactly don't you get? I promise I won't go "Crusader" on you.

By the way, it's "son of God", not "sun of God". :ermm:

In response to Dark Moth's question, since the above is in a topic for Hinduism.

Mainly that the way to salvation is through Jesus. How does that work? To me it is counter productive for it imposes guilt

S.A.S.I.S.P.G.M.D.G.S.M.B.

I don't "get" any religion that promises eternal torment for those born to a culture/family that is not predominantly that religion. Expecting conversion is not something I can agree with. I'm just not a big fan of creating something in a position where it is reasonable to expect it to pursue a path that leads to its own eternal torture.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Completely off topic: The new horizontal box for replies and such is so much better. :joy: But the weired white petals around the emoticons, are well... weired. :shifty:

I think it's implemented this way to create the effect that those emoticons are bursting out of the web page and I kinda like it :lol: ; or is it just a glitch and I need to be back on my medication? :ermm:

I do hope the Christians here answer my question about the metaphor of the vineyard tho...

http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?s=...st&p=742673

p.s. Anyone knows where do I find the Post ID for a post?

Completely off topic: The new horizontal box for replies and such is so much better. :joy: But the weired white petals around the emoticons, are well... weired. :shifty:

I think it's implemented this way to create the effect that those emoticons are bursting out of the web page and I kinda like it :ermm: ; or is it just a glitch and I need to be back on my medication? :ermm:

It's repair is being looked into and, Yes, we are looking into upping your medication to keep you mre pliant to our plans. :lol:

Ruminations...

When a man has no Future, the Present passes too quickly to be assimilated and only the static Past has value.

Christianity is full of contradictions and interpretations that it is not even funny. That is why we have hundreds of different sects and churches.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

I do hope the Christians here answer my question about the metaphor of the vineyard tho...

I'll PM you a commentary I found online. I agree with it. It is pretty big, but it represents the "Christian" viewpoint on the subject really well.

he doesnt understand christianity and i dont understand people.

each of the oldest faiths in the wrold all have one thing in common and mankind as a whole does it, they all say basically NOT to go out killing others, so how come we as a race are still killing eachother off.....

Strength through Mercy

Head Torturor of the Cult of the Anti-gnome

each of the oldest faiths in the wrold all have one thing in common and mankind as a whole does it, they all say basically NOT to go out killing others, so how come we as a race are still killing eachother off.....

I've heard somewhere that the "Thou Shalt Not Kill" commandment was actually "Thou Shalt Not Murder" or whatever. Which are in fact different. If its Murder, then killing people in war is a-ok from a religious standpoint, while killing for fun or whatever is not.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Mainly that the way to salvation is through Jesus. How does that work? To me it is counter productive for it imposes guilt… How will confessing our sins before death get us in to heaven?

It's purpose is not to impose guilt. From a utilitarian standpoint it is simply a necessary step for salvation. One must confess sins (aka their evil), in order to be forgiven. This confession need only take place between a person and God (although Catholicism might teach differently, most of the NT and all of protestant Christianity backs me up. I can provide examples if you desire) and then one must ask for forgiveness through Jesus. His death on the cross was a sacrifice for mankind's evil deeds/thoughts (aka sins). Jesus' death is significant as opposed to a random other person because 1. He is the Son of God. 2. He lived a sinless life, symbolic of the Old Testament's sacrifices which were to be blemishless. 3. He was promised throughout OT. He's the promised Messiah, the Christ, the Saviour.

The priests who use the word of God to impose guilt for something that God saw fit to make in the first place. It’s a contradiction that God would make someone a certain way, and then say in his book (which is meant to govern our lives) that it’s an aberration.
I totally agree. That is why it is hard for me to see those priests as actual Christians. I believe again you are speaking of Catholicism more than Protestant Christianity (which is guilty of its own vices). Although, many Catholics, like Cantousent, have theologically correct interpretations of the Bible. There are other contradictory things in practiced Christianity that disappoint me too, and are not biblically correct. This doesn't mean that Christians should just shove it though. Admonish them with scripture, which should be their primary source for theology.

It disappoints me that things get tacked on to Christianity. For example, the Republican party. Don't be a hater just because of those stereotypes.

How is it possible that Jesus can be the “Son of God", while at the same time Mary Mother of Jesus is the Mother of God? ( :ermm: Confusing sentence…. Confusing concept :ermm: ) ... If wisdom is the light of God, why do they say “Son” of God and not "sun"? Too Pagan perhaps? :p

I was complaining about this to my buddy the other day. You'd never catch me saying "Mary Mother of God". That is ridics. God has no mother. Jesus, however, did have a mother. John 1:1-2, though, say that Jesus is God. So in Catholicism, because of their eccentric and excessive view of Mary as holy, they like to say, "Mary Mother of God." As if she is as great as him, or as if it gives her more power, or something. I have no idea why they do that. She is in the gospels (and maybe some of Acts) but nowhere else in all the New Testament. The Messiah was going to come. He just happened to come out of her womb.

I think there is way too big of a fix on Mary and not God in the Catholicism I see around. Also, why pray to saints? I must ask, because Jesus gives us the ability to pray directly to God. Who has more power? God, or a dead saint? I have no way of knowing if the saints can even hear us, but I believe God knows everything, so he knows when I speak to him. I'd rather tell it directly to God instead of going through some strange intercession of another human who sinned just like me. The focus should be on God, not some holy person. Paul was holy, but he always tells the people he writes to in his letters that he does things for God's glory, not his own. Okay, enough of my rant (but this is why I'm not Catholic).

As for the name of Jesus as the Son of God and not the Sun of God: half of that is a play on words. The other half, as you mentioned, the Jesus is the "light" of the world, illuminating amongst the darkness; it is true that the sun also illuminates. This, however, is not the defining characteristic of Jesus. More important is that He is the Son of the God most high, the Creator, the One you'll have to answer to someday, and this Jesus died for you. So that is why. It's just a matter of what characteristic is most important. It also ties in with OT stuff, like the Son of Man in Ezekiel and Daniel's prophecies.

So to end: Why Christianity? How does this speak to you more than any other religion? I'd like to know. :)

Wait I should end with a comedic observation… The world’s religions with their use of suffering and denial are Sadomasochistic. I propose a new all encompassing religion "Sadomasochism" :lol: ... wait that names already in use... bugger.

^_^

Anyway, I agree that the current "State of the Religion" for Christianity is not that great. If all who claimed to be Christians did what they are told to do in the Bible, you'd see a big difference. The love of God should be pouring out of us into others. I don't see that happening. I can easily see where a lot of your criticism comes from and I'd agree with you on a lot of it. The Bible, however, is not the problem. It is the followers. They make up their own things, or ignore Biblical precepts or ideas, and this is what happens.

Edited by Blank

I think the answer to that question is the same as why would any teacher teach a student anything he already knows. All the religions emphasized on peace among man because man has yet to learn that lesson.

Also, I think most religions prohibit killing on the personal level but killing on a national level through a system of law or wars is a more complicated issue.

Completely off topic: The new horizontal box for replies and such is so much better. :joy: But the weired white petals around the emoticons, are well... weired. :dancing:

I think it's implemented this way to create the effect that those emoticons are bursting out of the web page and I kinda like it :brows: ; or is it just a glitch and I need to be back on my medication? :ermm:

p.s. Anyone knows where do I find the Post ID for a post?

When replying it is in the first pair of [square] brackets as an argument for the quote, the keyword is "Post", as like this reply is to yours:

[quote name='julianw' post='743673' date='Feb 1 2007, 06:28 AM']

If you want a hyperlink to a post in a topic (not just the top of a page), that will open the topic at a page starting from that reply, then click on the underlined link to the right of the "Post" label in the top right of the reply. :)

What about those people who don't subscribe to the religion, and who attack the people who do?

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I don't understand atheism, because it is confusing.

How can you believe that when you die, you sieze to exit? Entirely, no afterlife, no consciousness, no anything. Thinking of death must leave you with a really hollow feeling.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

How is atheism confusing? I think it is quite straight forward. There is no Heaven to strive for, no Hell to fear, and the only existence you have is here and now. Once death occurs, oblivion, nothing, you simply cease to be.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

:shifty:

Just why exactly I always have some stupid picture to each of these topics talking about religion (minus fir teh hinduism topic). Maybe I should make actual post in here. Whatever :shifty:

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

"How can you believe that when you die, you sieze to exit? Entirely, no afterlife, no consciousness, no anything. Thinking of death must leave you with a really hollow feeling."

Faith is asking an intelligent person to accept that 2+2 = 5. If he does this he will live a fuller spirtual life and will not be haunted by the gloom of his own inevitable destruction. Some people however, can't accept the 5 whether they will be better off for it or not.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

^ One can only talk like that if he believes there's no afterlife. Claiming "accepting" or "knowing" it is hypocrisy

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

There is no evidence of their being an afterlife so due to a lack of evidence of something existing has more credibility than the evidence of something not existing.

That is why I put more stock in science than religion.

I don't understand atheism, because it is confusing.

How can you believe that when you die, you sieze to exit? Entirely, no afterlife, no consciousness, no anything. Thinking of death must leave you with a really hollow feeling.

To one who believes that you cease to exist when you die, what would be the point of thinking about death? Better to live the life you have instead of thinking of a time when it's gone, or some kind of happy magical fantasy land called heaven.

"^ One can only talk like that if he believes there's no afterlife. Claiming "accepting" or "knowing" it is hypocrisy

"

That doesen't follow, you are reversing the burden of evidence. A highly unlikely postulate has been posited, human beings

have immortal souls and when they die they are magically transferred to an afterlife, for which not a shred of evidence has been presented.

This is entirely akin to the statement 2+2 = 5, unless some plausible proof can be presented as to why this should be the case, it remains beyond the realm of logic.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.