Clich

Blank

don't forget the ever present "the guy you think is good for 2 seasons is actually the major badguy that you've been chasing this ENTIRE TIME!"

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Bond is evil also. He seduces young innocent virgins and makes them perform various sexual acts for him. The corrupter of women.

But Bond is ok with me, especially the Sean Connery version.  :)

So you like the more sexist version of Bond? Interesting.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

The American soldier who always dies at the end, and asks the commanding officer something on the lines of "Did we rescue them sarge?"

The American soldiers that never die, no matter what odds they are against, yep thats Hollywood for ya, making things more glamerous then they already are.

Terrorist plots that appear to be islamic extremists but turn out to be some white dude.

Cause Hollywood knows Bill Gates was really behind 9-11. :shifty:

Oh, almost forgot my most hated cliche. The vehicle that drops 10 feet and explodes in a massive fireball. Vehicles do not just go boom when they fall 5 feet.

One of the lamest/funniest instances of sudden vehicular explosion was in an old Sean Connery Bond film where a car full of villainous henchmen drive off the road into a tiny ditch and go kaboom for no reason other than driving in the tiny ditch.

Edited by GreasyDogMeat

Oh, almost forgot my most hated cliche. The vehicle that drops 10 feet and explodes in a massive fireball. Vehicles do not just go boom when they fall 5 feet.

Well duh, like you originally said, it takes 10Ft. :shifty:

One of the lamest/funniest instances of sudden vehicular explosion was in an old Sean Connery Bond film where a car full of villainous henchmen drive off the road into a tiny ditch and go kaboom for no reason other than driving in the tiny ditch.

Lol, that reminds me of one of my favorite shows from back in the day, The A-Team. In one particularly funny episode a helicopter full of bad guys crash into the side of a hill, bursts into flame and crashes in a heap at the bottom. Cut away and cut back and we see said bad guys climbing out of the flaming wreckage and running off.

Also, the moment when a protagonist runs away from a time bomb showing "00:30" on its timer to escape the imminent death by jumping out of the building on the ground and dodging a huge explosion behind him (the last moment must be shot in slow motion).

Oh yes, and one more: Obligatory Female Protagonist, who is in the movie for a romance with Main Male Protagonist, no matter how lame it is in the situatution.

Did anyone mention the large and sassy black woman?

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Speaking of the near explosion. I hate the scene where they show something juuust about to happen, but then show the heroes taking their sweet time making the escape, then cut back to the horrible event juuuust about to happen but it looks like its still at the same point it was when they first showed it.

I.E., a train is roughly 30 feet away from running over our hero. Cut to a shot of him strugging with the rope to free himself for 10 seconds. Cut back to the train but it is still 30 feet away from the hero. Back and forth etc.

Monty Python's King Arthur and the Search for the Holy Grail did a hilarious spoof of this cliche with the guy running towards the castle. Back and forth between two guards looking at the hill and the guy running towards them.

At first I thought the first post said a "deranged parrot/.

This probably doesn't quite fit in this topic, but I've always disliked the cute-child-in-peril-to-gain-audience-sympathy. This is either because they're often done very badly - no better than the dog-in-peril-moments, say - or because I'm just heartless. :x

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Another cliche I hate:

The young wise cracking kid who saves the day. Example: Jurassic Park, The Mummy II and Robocop 3. These characters are obviously aimed at the younger crowd.

"OMG the huge dinosaur/monster/robot is coming! Oh wait! Little billy hacked/kung fu'd/talked us out of the situation! Wow billy, I have a new found respect for you even though you are only 9 and don't know how to tie your own shoes!"

The American soldier who always dies at the end, and asks the commanding officer something on the lines of "Did we rescue them sarge?"

The American soldiers that never die, no matter what odds they are against, yep thats Hollywood for ya, making things more glamerous then they already are.

American soldiers never lose.... in America!

keith.gif

Main character

Usually the focus of the entire film

Appears in nearly every movie.

Another cliche I hate:

The young wise cracking kid who saves the day. Example: Jurassic Park, The Mummy II and Robocop 3. These characters are obviously aimed at the younger crowd.

"OMG the huge dinosaur/monster/robot is coming! Oh wait! Little billy hacked/kung fu'd/talked us out of the situation! Wow billy, I have a new found respect for you even though you are only 9 and don't know how to tie your own shoes!"

I like the one in The Mummy II. They knew he was gonna be annoying so they put him in situations where he could pretty much only annoy the bad guys.

As for Jurassic Park, it doesn't bother me as much that Lex hacks the computer system and saves the day, it bothers me more that Tim is just jumping up and down. "Hey Timmy, mind giving us that gun there that could save our necks but we just can't reach?"

Edited by TrueNeutral

I hate it when characters start a conversation in the morning and during that conversation there is a cut and the same conversation is suddenly taken place at night or vfar away from the starting point.

Example:

Ext. Day. City street.

Lady: " He was running as fast as he could and then..."

Cut to

Int. Evening. Mysterious Cave.

Lady: "...he fell into a chasm and was never seen again."

I see that a lot in Spielberg movies and it gets on my nerves.

That happens IRL, though (to me at least), when I pick up a conversation much later as it occurs to me that I don't know the conclusion to it (and so I can't store and appropriately categorize the facts elicited from it when my mind does its admin functions), because I left it dangling due to a tangential discussion sparked by a tiny detail ... :D

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT