What does this make me?

Azure79

While shopping for a gift for my three year old nephew this holiday season, I came across some Transformer figures of Optimus Prime, Bumblebee, Megatron, Starscream and Astrotrain. They immediately caught my eye due to the fact that they were the 20th anniversary edition and were similar in appearance to the old cartoons...exception for Megatron. He was a phaser or something. But his Robot mode was pretty similar.

Well, I immediately had the urge to buy them and now I have them set up on my coffee table waging a battle that will decide the fate of Earth. I still can't get over how cool they are and I transform them from vehicle to robot form at least twice a day when I'm home while giggling madly to myself.

Now, I've never had the urge to buy toys like this before but I couldn't help myself this time! I subsequently went into the Hasbro site and now I want to buy the 20th anniversary edition of Rodimus...you know, just to even the odds.

And now I'm browsing Wikipedia in order to rekindle my memory of Transfomers...during working hours.

I'm starting to scare myself. Is this the lure of geekdom/nerdom that I've buried within me? Or is just a temporary flash of nostalgia?

When I tell you that I destroyed both my Transformer collection and my GI Joe collection when I was a kid using firecrackers in a large scale battle done in table top rpg style how does that make you feel?

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

When I tell you that I destroyed both my Transformer collection and my GI Joe collection when I was a kid using firecrackers in a large scale battle done in table top rpg style how does that make you feel?

Homicidal. :p

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

It was fun. In the end my mom grounded me for a week because of the mess. During that week however I took apart a phone, a radio, and almost the television set.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

Nostalgia.

In a month or so you'll be out of it. Save your money.

But Rodimus is only 9.99! How can I resist! :aiee:

Do it... you know you want to buy it. $10 is so little, you won't even notice it gone. Think of all the fun that you would have with it.

Wait a minute, Rodimus? Forget that garbage. Go buy something good with that $10.

:p

Nostalgia.

In a month or so you'll be out of it. Save your money.

But Rodimus is only 9.99! How can I resist! :p

Buy me one.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

"What does this make make me?"

Un geek enorm

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I have the same thing whenever I see the latest Lego Knight's Kingdom toys.

Luckily I've been able to resist the urge of buying them. But I fear it will not be so easy to resist once my own kids start getting into Lego. Which I now suspect to be the reason why my own father used to buy me so many... and why my figures always seemed to be in a completely different position from the way I had left them before going to sleep.

Oh, and I too am guilty of recently refreshing my knowledge of Transformers history on Wiki >_<"

VOLOURN! :)

*pounces on Volourn and rummages for change then bounds off*

i feal your pain.

the first two transformersi ever got were mirage and bumblebee, so i had t ogo and buy them.

also have a blurr somewhere around, the roiginal blurr somewhere around, the optimus prime from one of the series RC is laying in my desk, and that other female transformer whos name i forget.

but i want grimlock

Strength through Mercy

Head Torturor of the Cult of the Anti-gnome

i feal your pain.

the first two transformers i ever got were mirage and bumblebee, so i had to go and buy them.

also have a blurr somewhere around, the original blurr somewhere around, the optimus prime from one of the series  RC is laying in my desk, and that other female transformer whos name i forget.

but i want grimlock

Yes, the new Grimlock looks totally badass. He was always my favorite character. Probably due to my fascination with dinosaurs at that age too. I always wondered why the dinobots couldn't combine into a super huge Dinosaur. That would have been teh awesome! :aiee:

LOL But victim? How 'bout 'you are the target of well done marketing' or something even better that someone not named Volourn cna think of.

It irks me (well... not relaly.. not much irks me.. but this comes close) when people refer to marketing targets as 'victims' or 'brainwashed' or other such silliness.

A product was advertised. He was interested in it. He bought it. That's not brainwashing. It's called good business sense to get your product/service out there.

:*:*:*:*:*

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I wasn't insulted in the least, if any of that matters. I just laughed and said to myself, "Meta is probably right". Someone over at Hasbro marketing knows that there are grown men that will covet these things

I hardly have any urge to buy most things because I'm cheap, but something about these damn toys...

Edited by Azure79

I used to have Scorponok, but after suffering a particularly bad case of fever I discovered I had shot him into pieces.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

LOL But victim? How 'bout  'you are the target of well done marketing' or something even better that someone not named Volourn cna think of.

It irks me (well... not relaly.. not much irks me.. but this comes close) when people refer to marketing targets as 'victims' or 'brainwashed' or other such silliness.

A product was advertised. He was interested in it. He bought it. That's not brainwashing. It's called good business sense to get your product/service out there.

:*  :*  :*  :*  :*

Victim is a much more emotive word, and gets across a certain je ne sais quoi ...

:*

I wasn't insulted in the least, if any of that matters. I just laughed and said to myself, "Meta is probably right". Someone over at Hasbro marketing knows that there are grown men that will covet these things

I hardly have any urge to buy most things because I'm cheap, but something about these damn toys...

A lot to do with imprinting, I would guess ... just like how all the tv shows of the seventies have been made into films now (Brady Bunch, Scooby-Doo, et alia). I am immune from Transformers, as I grew up earlier (and so I have different triggers): I don't respond to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, either; but I have a soft spot for the Thunderbirds, though there has never been anything that would coerce me into buying those products (well, I did get a Thunderbird Two about thirty years ago for a present), except perhaps to buy the old shows to re-watch. :(.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT