is there a difference between rpg and fps anymore?

Kalfear

adventure+RPG genres together are what the 'pnp spirit' is about

I prefer that this "PnP spirit" stays where it belongs to: PnP Roundtables in a dark cellar while playing sound scapes in the background and enjoying the stench of rotten pizza pieces and underarm-sweat. :'(

Don't squeeze a prisma into a round hole where it doesn't belong to in the first place. Round holes are meant to be penetrated by cylinders... :aiee: Games design wise, of course.

Edited by Morgoth

That depends totally on what kind of DM you have.

There are DM-s who can make a game awesome without one fight the whole campaign.

And there are those who can't do anything else than hack&slash, I don't play that kind of 'RPG'

I prefer that this "PnP spirit" stays where it belongs to: PnP Roundtables in a dark cellar while playing sound scapes in the background and enjoying the stench of rotten pizza pieces and underarm-sweat. :'(

Don't squeeze a prisma into a round hole where it doesn't belong to in the first place. Round holes are meant to be penetrated by cylinders... :aiee: Games design wise, of course.

No insults needed.

And I didn't say FPS-s or any other genre couldn't be combined with RPG, I just said the real feeling is somewhere between RPG-adventure game genres.

My ultimate game would be a mix of RPG-Adventure-Strategy

PS: And i definetly protest against the way you described pnp, i never ate anything rotten, and we play usualy in the main hall by me, or in the Office of my friends corporaton (sp?)

Edited by jorian

IB1OsQq.png

There are DM-s who can make a game awesome without one fight the whole campaign.

And there are those who can't do anything else than hack&slash, I don't play that kind of 'RPG'

No insults needed.

And I didn't say FPS-s or any other genre couldn't be combined with RPG, I just said the real feeling is somewhere between RPG-adventure game genres.

PS: And i definetly protest against the way you described pnp, i never ate anything rotten, and we play usualy in the main hall by me, or in the Office of my friends corporaton (sp?)

Well I didn't mean to insult you, because it was actually a joke. But my perception of PnP nerds is that such sessions are all about being together and enjoy the social part of it, not the game itself. Not with a video game, I don't want to socialize with a bunch of pixels, but getting entertained with nice gameplay and cool stories instead.

Edited by Morgoth

You shouldn't feel obligated to rply to anything Jorian says, nobody really takes anything he says seriously.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

The point I was making was that there is no generic "pnp spirit", because every DM and every group players are different.

I

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Oh well I must have missed that... but I've to ask you just for the sake of squeezing more fun out of this already hilarious thread: Where did I mention FPS couldn't be combined with RPGs?

And how exactly would that work?

Edited by Morgoth

Kind of funny how you go on about how games have become more mainstream, appeal to the lowest common denominator, and how things are all different, then talk about how "sad" it is that you have to play arguably the most popular and most well known RPG in gaming. 

*Snip*

Final Fantasy 7 was fairly well balanced.

Each map was a puzzle in and of itself, there was a sense of exploration and adventure, there was just enough playing the game and just the right amount of watching an "Interactive story book" and man, what a story to interact with.

The Combat was somewhat repetitive, but while 90% of the fights could be won by having the "X" button on autofire, there were still a good number of fights that required heavy tactics and strategy, attacking at the right time, with the right spell or weapon etc.

While the Plot line is completely Linear you feel as if your involved with it, that your moving events along, that your interacting with the game and actually playing, not simply triggering one cut scene after the other.

Besides, "Linear" does not automatically equal bad. There is simply a way to do it so that the player feels like a participant, and not like they are simply being led by the nose through the game.

And may I say it looks really good on the PSP, something about the textures and lighting on the PSP Screen just makes it pop, and like I said, the characters now look stylized like Death Jr, Size of the Fight or something like that, and while it may not be "Tekken Dark Resurrection" in terms of graphics, its also not horribly out of date after 10 years to the point that the graphics stick out like a sore thumb which was my entire point.

You also picked one of the worst looking maps as your "Demonstration", compare that to Mid gar and it is quite a different visceral experience.

I also really want to know where and when people decided Linear was bad, some of the best RPG's have been completely Linear, but it was because they told such a wonderful story and it was a fun, engaging and enjoyable experience playing through that story that they hold a place in the trophy cabinet.

Balance needs to be restored to games in general I think, people are attempting to do so much with them that other aspects are being sorely neglected and it is because of that, that the RPG genera as a whole is somewhat suffering.

Now, on to the Note of JRPG's and Indigo Prophecy.

Indigo Prophecy is one of my wife's most favorite games.... because she watched me play it, she didn't play it herself, she just watched the story unfold and its a pretty cool and interesting story.

As for me as the player, while it was fun while it lasted, it reminded me of the first games on the Sega CD that would play through a story and have you press up, down, left, right, A, B, or C at the right time to advance, not really a unique concept and certainly it lost some sense of interaction but it was still a fun story to play through.

And JRPG's are somewhat hit or miss for me.

I like the Interactive Novels, there somewhat fun if they have a really good story to tell but that is kinda rare these days.

The Final fantasy Series long ago became more watching cut scenes than actual playing which truly turns me off. I had to wait almost two hours in FFX at one point before I could save... and it was at a point where I had to get ready to go out, but didn't want to loose all the progress I had made... but when you don't want to be playing a game, and you cant turn it off and have to sit through cut scenes after cut scenes, dialogue after dialogue when all you want to do is save and turn the damn thing off... it becomes a really painful and excruciating exercise of patience and grating nerves.

And finding a JRPG without the cutesy, fluffy, fuzzy Bunny crap is somewhat of a Challenge, but when they get it right, boy do they get it right.

I really think that having a more deconstructable environment helps, even in combat.

In the Obi-Wan game, for instance, there was a room where you could slice a water pipe and then the room began to fill with water...you could then use that to your advantage in combat (actually, that might have been the only way to beat that Big Bad)....still, having alternate ways of dealing with foes, other than straight-up combat is a good thing (from an RPGer's perspective) and we could stand to see more of that.

I bet if it was NWN2 then there would have been a line of 10 people telling you to break the pipe on the way to the room.

Ok roshan, we all get it: you were unimpressed by NwN2.

:aiee:

Please move on now.

As to the topic, even though it is predominantly a semantic argument, I find the question rather misguided. After all, an RPG has the PC develop during the game in skills and / or techniques / knowledge. In an FPS the entire "PC development process" consists of accumulating new and different weapons.

I assume the this topic is more addressed to the FPS gaining more RPG-elements, rather than RPGs becoming more twitchy (though improved graphics are unavoidable at some pace).

Now the (in my view very healthy) cross-over between the different styles that brings RPG elements into an FPS can only help keep gaming in general in the pink of health, without the Darwinian

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Kind of funny how you go on about how games have become more mainstream, appeal to the lowest common denominator, and how things are all different, then talk about how "sad" it is that you have to play arguably the most popular and most well known RPG in gaming. 

*Snip*

Final Fantasy 7 was fairly well balanced.

Each map was a puzzle in and of itself, there was a sense of exploration and adventure, there was just enough playing the game and just the right amount of watching an "Interactive story book" and man, what a story to interact with.

The Combat was somewhat repetitive, but while 90% of the fights could be won by having the "X" button on autofire, there were still a good number of fights that required heavy tactics and strategy, attacking at the right time, with the right spell or weapon etc.

While the Plot line is completely Linear you feel as if your involved with it, that your moving events along, that your interacting with the game and actually playing, not simply triggering one cut scene after the other.

Besides, "Linear" does not automatically equal bad. There is simply a way to do it so that the player feels like a participant, and not like they are simply being led by the nose through the game.

And may I say it looks really good on the PSP, something about the textures and lighting on the PSP Screen just makes it pop, and like I said, the characters now look stylized like Death Jr, Size of the Fight or something like that, and while it may not be "Tekken Dark Resurrection" in terms of graphics, its also not horribly out of date after 10 years to the point that the graphics stick out like a sore thumb which was my entire point.

You also picked one of the worst looking maps as your "Demonstration", compare that to Mid gar and it is quite a different visceral experience.

I also really want to know where and when people decided Linear was bad, some of the best RPG's have been completely Linear, but it was because they told such a wonderful story and it was a fun, engaging and enjoyable experience playing through that story that they hold a place in the trophy cabinet.

Balance needs to be restored to games in general I think, people are attempting to do so much with them that other aspects are being sorely neglected and it is because of that, that the RPG genera as a whole is somewhat suffering.

Now, on to the Note of JRPG's and Indigo Prophecy.

Indigo Prophecy is one of my wife's most favorite games.... because she watched me play it, she didn't play it herself, she just watched the story unfold and its a pretty cool and interesting story.

As for me as the player, while it was fun while it lasted, it reminded me of the first games on the Sega CD that would play through a story and have you press up, down, left, right, A, B, or C at the right time to advance, not really a unique concept and certainly it lost some sense of interaction but it was still a fun story to play through.

And JRPG's are somewhat hit or miss for me.

I like the Interactive Novels, there somewhat fun if they have a really good story to tell but that is kinda rare these days.

The Final fantasy Series long ago became more watching cut scenes than actual playing which truly turns me off. I had to wait almost two hours in FFX at one point before I could save... and it was at a point where I had to get ready to go out, but didn't want to loose all the progress I had made... but when you don't want to be playing a game, and you cant turn it off and have to sit through cut scenes after cut scenes, dialogue after dialogue when all you want to do is save and turn the damn thing off... it becomes a really painful and excruciating exercise of patience and grating nerves.

And finding a JRPG without the cutesy, fluffy, fuzzy Bunny crap is somewhat of a Challenge, but when they get it right, boy do they get it right.

This dude speaks truth.

FF7 is the very definition of RPG. FF7 is true RPG. Who cares about voice-acting that all RPGs nowadays are plagued with (and is their only redeeming point, as all the rest if crap, I mean, WHO THE CRAP WANTS THAT FREAKING TWITCH BS IN ALL THOSE BLOODY RPGS THIS ISN'T WHAT RPGS ARE ABOUT I WANT AN INTERACTIVE STORYBOOK BECAUSE THATS A REAL RPG), when you can have 10% of your repetitive combat require HEAVY TACTICS *AND* STRATEGY?

I loved dating Barret. That defined roleplaying for me. It was interactive. Which is more than what I can say about all other RPGs nowadays. UNLESS YOU THINK CLICKING QUICKLY ON YOUR MOUSE IS INTERACTIVE BECAUSE THAT'S BS. Keep that crap away from my true RPGs.

And screw you, alanschu. RPGs aren't about graphics, they're about deep meaningful plots where you roleplay someone whom you have control over. I wasn't just PLAYING Cloud, man. I *WAS* Cloud. I didn't cry when Aeris died. *CLOUD* cried when Aeris died. That represents the deepest meaning that RPG can have for me. You're shallow, alanschu, so very shallow. You can shove that 'lol Cloud looks like a Playmobil' and shove it up your nose.

And most importantly, FF7 was fairly well-balanced. That, my friends, was the great RPG that ever lived.

All you ADHD Doom players can go play Doom, while me and my elitist brethen can swoon over the awesomeness of FF7. We are awesome. You are not. Get over yourself.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

You shouldn't feel obligated to rply to anything Jorian says, nobody really takes anything he says seriously.

and noone takes you seriously, still people talk to you <_<

PS: define 'nobody', I know a lot of people here who I PM with, or can discuss things openly, also its better if you get used to it to take some things i say serious

IB1OsQq.png

and noone takes you seriously, still people talk to you <_<

PS: define 'nobody', I know a lot of people here who I PM with, or can discuss things openly, also its better if you get used to it to take some things i say serious

Has anyone ever told you that you take things far to seriously? >_<

I just thought that i would just pop in and say "hello" >_<

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I fail to see why it should be classified.

I mean, it's not like I have *any* intention of brutally murdering anyone and everyone who engages you in friendly conversation.

It is, as they say, simple curiosity, as well as a well-intentioned plan to get to know you better. For non-violent reasons.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

I mean, it's not like I have *any* intention of brutally murdering anyone and everyone who engages you in friendly conversation.

It is, as they say, simple curiosity, as well as a well-intentioned plan to get to know you better. For non-violent reasons.

Well, put me on the list then.... In fact, just yesterday me and Jorian cracked some sturdy jokes about you, Lyranor. But I guess you don't want to hear that, so gotta go gotta go I guess. :mellow:"

Edited by Morgoth

Well, put me on the list then.... In fact, just yesterday me and Jorian cracked some sturdy jokes about you, Lyranor. But I guess you don't want to hear that, so gotta go gotta go I guess. :-"

:mellow:

IB1OsQq.png