is there a difference between rpg and fps anymore?

Kalfear

I for one hate first person view. I always have and I always will. That is one of the reasons why I don't play many shooters. If the game doesn't allow me to toggle between first and third person view or is only third person view it pretty much gathers more dust than games that have those features.

Only very rarely do I play games with first person only, maybe once or twice a year.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

I would probably play Call of Duty more if it had a third person option.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

I fail to see why it should be classified.

I mean, it's not like I have *any* intention of brutally murdering anyone and everyone who engages you in friendly conversation.

It is, as they say, simple curiosity, as well as a well-intentioned plan to get to know you better. For non-violent reasons.

Well, put me on the list then.... In fact, just yesterday me and Jorian cracked some sturdy jokes about you, Lyranor. But I guess you don't want to hear that, so gotta go gotta go I guess. :-"

:mellow:

Um..I think Morgoth's joking at you, not with you, Jorian.

manthing2.jpg

I fail to see why it should be classified.

I mean, it's not like I have *any* intention of brutally murdering anyone and everyone who engages you in friendly conversation.

It is, as they say, simple curiosity, as well as a well-intentioned plan to get to know you better. For non-violent reasons.

Well, put me on the list then.... In fact, just yesterday me and Jorian cracked some sturdy jokes about you, Lyranor. But I guess you don't want to hear that, so gotta go gotta go I guess. :)"

:aiee:

Um..I think Morgoth's joking at you, not with you, Jorian.

Oder der Witz an der ganzen Sache ist das der Witz an dich gerichtet war?

Isometric games feels like playing with dolls.

First person games feels like playing the role.

I do enjoy third person games too though. Like the Gothic's.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

If I were wearing pajamas, they'd be damp and moist and sort of tangy with ooze and tears. As I am not though, you'll merely have to picture me naked; and the sad truth is the season hasn't been particularly kind to my youthful bud, and I've grown pudgy and self-aware. Such is life.

That said, I am awesome, and, as we all know, that which is awesome can never be overrated. In fact, I surpass awesome, I am triple awesome, quadruple even, I am what happens when Awesome mates with God. Shut yo mouth.

Oh yes, no peripheral vision really makes the immersion feel like I am playing a "role." :aiee:

Oh yes, no peripheral vision really makes the immersion feel like I am playing a "role." :aiee:

Yeah but mkreku got it right. Playing a role is playing a puppet.

Crafting my own experience >> playing a puppet.

That is why I prefer a toggle to jump between First Person view and Third Person view. There is no good reason why not allow this in current games. Let the player play the game in a way he or she is most comfortable with.

That is why I prefer a toggle to jump between First Person view and Third Person view.  There is no good reason why not allow this in current games.  Let the player play the game in a way he or she is most comfortable with.

But that doesn't work properly in reality. I know some games (Thief: Deadly Shadows for example) that allow you to do that, but it just doesn't "feel" right. They just attached a camera somewhere at Garret's belly and thought they'd get away with that as "First Person View". First person view uses it's own camera angel and set of animations (movement, weapons etc), something you can't change "on the fly" so to speak. In the end, it comes down to the design. A stealth game where the level design is build up the way to support FPV only works that way properly, while Third person just doesn't make fun. Vice Versa, puzzle heavy games like Tomb Raider work better in Third person, but are incapable of deliver proper first person view (and who wants to anyway: Looking at Laras ass is a nice sight. Always).

Edited by Morgoth

Well, when it comes to game purchasing i am far far far more likely to buy a game that has third person view than first person view. I like to know what is going on around my character than just be limited in only seeing what is exactly in front of me.

I just don't see how people can say that FPV has a higher immersion factor. Maybe they don't have peripheral vision.

Well, when it comes to game purchasing i am far far far more likely to buy a game that has third person view than first person view.  I like to know what is going on around my character than just be limited in only seeing what is exactly in front of me.

I just don't see how people can say that FPV has a higher immersion factor.  Maybe they don't have peripheral vision.

Well I consider purchases by quality, not by some triviality like camera views. Unlike you, I don't try to plug games into genres, or determine whether having some ugly interface icons hovering on my peripheral vision is key for immersion or not. But that's maybe just me. :aiee:

I don't see quality in games that have zero immersion factor for me. First person view is not immersive for me therefore it lacks quality.