is there a difference between rpg and fps anymore?

Kalfear

I am trying to reach a compromise here in which both camps of the debate can go away happy.  Is that so wrong?

Yes, it will cost time and money to implement both but in the end it will mean a higher quality game which will overall yield more sales.

Actually I doubt that sales would see any appreciable change. I'd be surprised if there were enough people hung up on whether or not a game was first person or third person.

You are probably right. It seems that with each passing year there are less and less games I want to play. I am all for progress in gameplay and such but there are some aspects that I prefer and first person view isn't one of them.

I only bought three games this year and it looks like next may even be less.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

I really only like one genre of game: the CRPG. I have tried other games from other genres and other platforms, yet the majority of key elements that I look for in a game can only be found in a CRPG. That is not going to change.

I like making my own character, I like gaining levels, I like story development, I like using strategy in combat with a party with a preference that I control, and so forth and so on.

I have tried other genres such as Doom3, Call of Duty, Deus Ex, Half Life, and the such but I found them ultimately boring. I have played the Resident Evils, which are way too short, and the Devil May Cries, which was lame in of itself. I have played a lot of different games of different genres but it all comes to that there is only one type of game I like and that is the CRPG.

FPS games are not immersive for me and often have lame stories to them, if any at all, and I cannot make my own character. Action games are often very repetitive and ultimately boring. Survival horror type games and puzzle games are often way too short to give me the most bang out of the buck.

yes, my games are limited but now it seems that what is left of my prefered genre is being taken over by aspects in other games I detest. I am perfectly willing to compromise but some aspects, like third person view, needs to remain.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

So you hate action and first-person, then go out of your way to ensure that most non-RPG games you try are FPS?

:)  :sorcerer:  :)  :brows:  :brows:  :brows:

That is why I am willing to compromise with the toggle. First person for those who like first person. Third person for people who like third person. It works just fine in games like Bloodlines, Morrowind, and Oblivion.

Third person is irrelivant... Depends on the context of the game... Ultima Underworld > All. FP RPG GOODNESS.

Never played it because it didn't look all that good to me.

Third person is irrelivant... Depends on the context of the game... Ultima Underworld > All. FP RPG GOODNESS.

Never played it because it didn't look all that good to me.

Because your not old skool enough, nor cool enough...

But in all seriousness you don't like many games, you somehow want PnP on the PC while cool, almost impossible to achieve today.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

So you hate action and first-person, then go out of your way to ensure that most non-RPG games you try are FPS?

:brows:  :brows:  :brows:  :brows:  :brows:  :brows:

That is why I am willing to compromise with the toggle. First person for those who like first person. Third person for people who like third person. It works just fine in games like Bloodlines, Morrowind, and Oblivion.

FP camera's and Third person cameras are not the same in terms of code... Although easy enough to code, it's hard to get just as the user would like.

third person really only makes sense from and angular perspectiver and never made any logical sense in morrowind and oblivion 3rd person effect gameplay dramatically making the game pooerer from it when it comes t combat.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

I don't care about "old skool" or not. A game is either fun to play or it is not. No more and no less. I know what games I consider fun myself and what games I do not. I also like a good number of games, I just don't like first person view.

I have also tried the civilization games and the space strategy games as well. My roommate is a big Civilization and Total War fan. They put me to sleep.

Edited by Sand

So, you just want to be insulting or can you be a bit more constructive than that? Oh, look who I am talking to. Of course you can't. :brows:

So, you just want to be insulting or can you be a bit more constructive than that?  Oh, look who I am talking to.  Of course you can't.  :brows:

And you keep repeating the same kind of Hades you've been obsessively ranting for years. You're so full of Hades, Sand. Don't even try to pull the "please post constructively" card.

There's a huge difference between FPS and RPG. Still. A FPS is a shooter while a RPG is about role playing. Just because more and more RPG's are using the first person view (thank god) doesn't mean the game mechanics are becoming the same. There's still a world of difference between Doom 3 and Oblivion.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I agree that there is a world of difference between Doom 3 and Oblivion but at least Oblivion gives the player the option to play in third person mode which I would want. As I stated, I don't mind CRPGs having the first person view. Frankly more should, just as long as they keep the third person view as an option for those who prefer it. I am not for eliminating or limiting, but expanding the choices of gameplay for the player.

Edited by Sand

@Sand

My understanding is that you seek a compromise, having both 3rd Person and FPV at the same time. As I and alanschu already pointed out some previous pages, it's not that easy to please everyone. Please read the "Why is Garret and the attached camera on his belly a bad thing" post again. I think this whole discussion overflew into the wrong direction anyway... it's really not about the view, but how well the game is designed and what view is best suitable for the sort of gameplay.... Gothic 3, BG2, Deus Ex, System Shock2, Thief etc etc.... There's a reason why those games have their own strenghts. But I digress....

More importantly than fighting about "immersion" and about the POV is that developers shouldn't go out and try to do the ultimate thing that pleases everyone. I rather want the devs to have a clear vision what they're trying to accomplish and then sort out/design the right POV to deliver the experience effectively. Not only is putting options like a toggle a very tedious task, but also it just doesn't make sense. I for one don't play Gothic 3 in FPV either, even if I can, but they just didn't get it right. Also, conversations or the combat system etc (not to mention the range of facial expressions...which is lacking there) would reveal G3's weaknesses in FPV. There're certainly a lot more details why developers often have to chose....

Doing one POV right >> putting everything in but make it mediocre.

Edited by Morgoth

I don't care about "old skool" or not.  A game is either fun to play or it is not.  No more and no less.  I know what games I consider fun myself and what games I do not.  I also like a good number of games, I just don't like first person view.

Man I was just being sarcastic with the old skool thing.. Smells like the old hades is back for 2007!

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

:aiee:

All I am trying to do here is have a decent conversation on the topic at hand. Except for one or two posts everyone else is being condescending, insulting, and sarcastic. Sheesh.

Edited by Sand