The Lighthouse of Democracy In the World: Sweden!

mkreku

In any case, I don't really see the need to rank candidates in order of preference, one vote should be sufficient which could either be cast for a specific candidate or for a party.

Our inability to rank candidates in order of preference is one of the primary (lol) reasons why we have an unbreakable bipartisan lock on our government. "Well, the Green candidate is never going to win, so I'll vote for the Democrat even though I hate him!"

Out of topic: can an American please tell me how much GDP does the US spend on defense and health care.....in percentage?

Thank you ;)

Can't give you percentage, but I can give you rank:

#1: Health and Human services

#2: Defense

#3: Treasury Dept

http://www.federalbudget.com/

Now was there something you were getting at or were you just curious? :)

(Hint: remember, I love it when you make it easy!)

Edited by kumquatq3

And who exactly are the superior citizens?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Majoritarianism and consensus

The intention of IRV is that the winning candidate will have the support of an absolute majority of voters, or at the very least an overall majority. It is often intended as an improvement on the 'First Past the Post' (plurality) voting system. Under 'First Past the Post' the candidate with most votes (a plurality) wins, even if they do not have an overall majority (more than half) of votes. IRV tries to overcome this problem by eliminating candidates one at a time, until one has an overall majority.

[1]However, some critics argue that the majority obtained by the winner of an IRV election is an artificial one. This is because there may be a candidate that voters prefer to the winner of an IRV election, but who has been eliminated because of garnering a small number of higher preferences. Advocates of this view argue that a candidate can only claim to have majority support if they are the 'Condorcet winner'

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Can't give you percentage, but I can give you rank:

#1: Health and Human services

#2: Defense

#3: Treasury Dept

http://www.federalbudget.com/

Now was there something you were getting at or were you just curious? :lol:

(Hint: remember, I love it when you make it easy!)

Thanks kumaq...I was just wondering the exact amount of GDP percentage on those two issues and how the US spends a lot of money on health care and it still sucks big time, that's all.

Okay, maybe some of the people that actually contribute to the society. :lol:

And who doesn't contribute to society? Just by, say, buying chewing gum you're helping the economy grow.

Heja Sverige!!

Okay, maybe some of the people that actually contribute to the society. :lol:

And who doesn't contribute to society? Just by, say, buying chewing gum you're helping the economy grow.

Gum chewers can vote, too! Just their votes are gum-chewing sized, compared to others who contribute in larger ways ...

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

How do you quantify contribution to society?

Heja Sverige!!

most professional societies have a ranking vote. i think the IEEE gives each member 5 votes (can't recall as i never vote in their elections) with a ranking from 1 to 5. highest point total wins. this would be difficult to implement on a large scale election (think the hanging chad issue was a problem?).

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Scandinavia ftw? :))

Indeed

Sweden, Iceland, Norway, Denmark and Finland all at the top ^_^

Indeed, indeed. :)

---------------------------

[some Swedish strunt]Fast... det

Edited by Accept

i think this article's measure of "democracy" should be labelled more of a measure of "freedom." civil liberties do not a democracy make, but they do imply a measure of freedom. of course, i still do not understand how an oppressive taxing scheme is not considered an infringement on civil liberties while tapping phone lines of suspected terrorists is... personally, BOTH should be given weight (though not necessarily equally) as the former really does amount to robbing peter to pay for paul.

also, most "democracies" in the world are not actually democracies, but republics. true democracy is indeed as bad as any communist regime every wished to be.

taks

Edited by taks

well get a shot of yourself kissing kate and use it as your siggy there kum... GAWD are you dense!? :(

I really think that if america were left to bush and people like him we'd move from a "Democracy" to a benevolent totalitarian government pretty quick.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

of course, i still do not understand how an oppressive taxing scheme is not considered an infringement on civil liberties while tapping phone lines of suspected terrorists is...  personally, BOTH should be given weight (though not necessarily equally) as the former really does amount to robbing peter to pay for paul.

So, uh, that wasn't joke? :lol:

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

well get a shot of yourself kissing kate and use it as your siggy there kum... GAWD are you dense!? :lol:

I really think that if america were left to bush and people like him we'd move from a "Democracy" to a benevolent totalitarian government pretty quick.

Canada would look very promising.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

that's ridiculous.

and, for the record, the government _has_ been left to bush and people like him for the past 6 years. no closer to "benevolent totalitarian government" now than ever.

taks

Edited by taks