The Lighthouse of Democracy In the World: Sweden!

mkreku

Well, the voters turned out here in US for the last election. HAHAHAHA!

Take that you Republican Ultra Conservative Pro-Lifing warmongering page sexifying... Um... What was I talking about? :(

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

There are a lot of countries where only less that 50% of the population vote. And at this point, it's fair game to argue that democracy isn't the best way to govern a country. What's the legitimacy of government that was only chosen by, say, 20% of the population? It's practically an invitation for a coup and so, turnout is very important for any democracy. And this, of course makes turnout an essential part of measuring a democracy's success.

I agree! Extremes in any direction can be bad signs. However, all things being equal, it's better to have higher turnout. I just think it is far from the end all be all. Venezuela, post compulsory, has one of the highest turnouts in the world. Does that make them a beacon of Democracy?

BTW, Euro countries with some kind of compulsory voting:

Greece

Austria (presidential elections only)

Belgium (see Belgian electoral system)

Luxembourg

Some parts of Switzerland

and, not Euro, but Australia

Countries that previously had compulsory voting, but have abolished it:

The Netherlands

Edited by kumquatq3

'Jokenly' is not a word in the English language, 'Jokingly' is an adverb derived from a verb and  is common American English.

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/jokingly

I believe I've pointed that out previously.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

America is not a democracy until the popular vote wins the day.

Correct

We are a Representative Democracy

I never understood the point of the Electoral College. It seems kind of pointless. Why not make the decision of who wins directly through the number of votes each candidate gets?

Heja Sverige!!

America is not a democracy until the popular vote wins the day.

Correct

We are a Representative Democracy

I never understood the point of the Electoral College. It seems kind of pointless. Why not make the decision of who wins directly through the number of votes each candidate gets?

because (at least this is according to my high school gvmnt teacher) electoral college can give the itty bitty states a chance at changing things (ie: an election might actually hinge on rhode island). where as popular vote would have much less power to the itty bitty states.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

That's stupid. It means that people from smaller states are more powerful in an election than the people from the larger states. How democratic is that?

Heja Sverige!!

That's stupid. It means that people from smaller states are more powerful in an election than the people from the larger states. How democratic is that?

It's not a pure democracy, nor is it striving to be one. However, the problem is that you view the US as just one big country, which is technically true, but it's not nearly that simple. The situation is that we are dealing with states that are effectively their own little countries in many ways (I do believe California is something like the 7th biggest economy in the world by itself). If you make it decided by popular vote, only 3-5 states would really matter. The rest of those states would be subject to their choices. The electoral college gives a "check" to that power in a very minor way. The number of votes a state gets is still subject to it's population.If not for the electoral college, the US would not exist. It could stand some updating imo tho.

Edited by kumquatq3

So which part of "government by the people, for the people" am I not getting? Because what that means is that the states are treated equally but the people aren't.

I can see where that view is coming from, I just don't agree with it, at all. It seems like a kind of covert nationalism. If there wasn't an Electoral College, the States would lose power, but the individuals would gain power.

Heja Sverige!!

I hate the Electoral College. Its just not needed.

With the Electoral College in place a candidate can win the popular vote, win the vote that should matter which the majority of those who are governed made their choice, and still lose the election.

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

So which part of "government by the people, for the people" am I not getting? Because what that means is that the states are treated equally but the people aren't.

I can see where that view is coming from, I just don't agree with it, at all. It seems like a kind of covert nationalism. If there wasn't an Electoral College, the States would lose power, but the individuals would gain power.

No, the majority would gain more power. The minority would lose more power.

It's mall about arrogant bragging rights  and the ability to say in a bigoted way,"My country is better than youyrs! HAHAHA!:

Actually, all things considered Sweden is a whole lot better place to live than US of A.

Yeah, a whole country full of Swedish women! :D

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

given how much powert the minority has, would this be a bad thing?

The US is a federal state which means it has to put up with illogical creations like the electoral college.

Maybe it's just too big a country for it to gain a sense of nationhood that trumps state and local interests.

On the face of it it's quite undemocratic, the net worth of an individual vote is determined by where he or she lives, where of course it should be equal for everyone. Even worse,' 49,9999 %' of the votes in a swing state are just discarded in a presidential election.

On the other hand you could argue that the more state's rights the more democratic the overall result, and that you should measure the states individually.

"

Correct

We are a Representative Democracy"

That is not the disctinction you wanted to make, every democracy is representative. Direct democracy becomes unfeasible as soon as you get more than 30 or so people involved.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

No, because then you end up with a tyrannical society. :bat:

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

If you want to protect the voice of the minority you have to get away from the two party system. There are a lot more than the two choices of political ideology you get to choose from you know.

Without the electoral college, independent candidates could be allowed to harness votes nation wide and not have their votes thrown out and their mandates given to the winner. This could facilitate the creation of alternatives to the two party stalemate.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

No, because then you end up with a tyrannical society. :)

is tyrrany of the majority or of the minority worse? Cause it feels like the public is at the mercy of the minority.

No, because then you end up with a tyrannical society. :)

is tyrrany of the majority or of the minority worse? Cause it feels like the public is at the mercy of the minority.

In what way do you feel oppressed?

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Speaking as someone who has had dogs set upon him, I think the problem is not the British system but the British people. In fact, it's just as well we have the system.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.